2. What will be covered in this workshop? 1. Overview of Google Drive and its key features 2. Examples of how Google Drive can be utilized in online, blended and face-to-face courses 3. How to Set and use Google Drive
3. What is Google Drive? Google Drive is a web-based document storage and synchronization tool, which allows users to create, share, and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and more from anywhere while online.
4. Why use Google Drive? 1. It is free. Since 2009, all UMS email has been hosted by Google. As a result, anyone who has an @maine.edu email account also has access to Google Drive. 2. Platform neutral. Can be accessed from any device: desktop computers, laptops, tablets, smart phones 3. It is an officially supported technology. Learning Commons Tech Tutors are also available to provide support to students
5. What services does it provide?
11. Tons of Additional Apps
12. File Storage, Sharing and Collaboration 1. 30 GBs of space- upload variety of file types, including videos, music and audio 2. Control who has access to files a. Set multiple levels of permission i. can edit ii. can comment iii. can view 3. Shared documents can be worked on both synchronously and asynchronously a. Make edits and comments b. Has built in auto save feature and complete revision history c. Integrated Instant Messaging
13. How can Google Drive be utilized in online, blended and face-to-face courses? https://www.courses.maine. edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp
14. How to setup Google Drive 1. Go to http://gmail.maine.edu and sign in using MaineStreet username and password 2. No Google Account? Click here: http://usm. maine.edu/sites/default/files/ctel/Migrating% 20UMS%20email%20to%20Google.pdf 3. Forward UMS Gmail to different location https://mail.maine.edu
15. How to Use Google Drive
16. Additional Resources 1. GCFLearnFree.org has compiled a series of YouTube videos that will cover many of the frequently asked topics: http://www.youtube. com/playlist?list=PLDCE614622E1D2691 2. Additional Tutorials: http://www.gcflearnfree. org/GoogleDriveandDocs