An overview of Social Media and why you need to join the conversation right now!
1. Social Media -What Really Works Lawrence Kirsch www.LawrenceKirsch.com 1
2. What Is Social Media? Social Media is a complex, organic Online Conversation An open-communication network powered by:
5. Video / Photo Sharing
6. Message Boards
7. Social Gaming
9. Real Simple Syndication (RSS)
10. What Is Social Media? The power to define and control the conversation surrounding a brand is shifting from companies and institutions to individuals and communities. Telling and Selling is dead. Jim Stengal, Chief Global Marketing Officer, Procter and Gamble 3
11. What Social Media Is Not Direct Marketing A Campaign Controllable by You Easy to Measure Social Media is Not Just Another Place to Publish Your Advertising 4
12. Social Media sites are the fastest-growing category on the Web. Traffic doubled from last year. 73% of active online users have read a blog 45% have started their own blog 39% subscribe to an RSS feed 57% have joined a social network 55% have uploaded photos 83% have watched video clips Whos Talking? Customers / Employees / Investors / Critics / Fans / Prospects 5
13. Why You Should Listen Of all online users ...91% say consumer reviews are the #1 aid to buying decisions. - JC Williams Group ...87% trust a friends recommendation over critics review. - Marketing Sherpa ...47% say social media sites influence their decisions to purchase specific brands or services. ...3 times more likely to trust peer opinions over advertising for purchasing decisions. - Jupiter Research 6
14. Business-to-Business Is Using Social Media 81 % Linkedin 70 % Twitter 60 % Facebook Next Year More Blogs 7
15. The Nature of People We want to do business with people they Know Like Trust 8
16. Three Main Sites 9
17. Others To Consider 10
18. More than 300 million active users.
50% of active users long onto Facebook in any given day.
19. The fastest growing demographic - 35 years old and older.
20. Average user has 130 friends on the site.
21. More than 45 million active user groups exist on the site.
22. Has over 15 billion photos - adding photos at a rate of 850 million photos a month.
23. Over 50 million professionals use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas and opportunities.
Members are in over 200 countries & territories around the world.
24. A new member joins approximately every second.
25. Half of the members are outside the U.S.
26. Executives from all Fortune 500 companies are members.
27. More than 300 million active users. US Adult Twitter Users, 2008-2010 (millions & % of adult Internet users). 2008 6.0 (3.8%) 2009 18.0 (11.1%) 2010 26.0 (15.5%) Note: Ages 18+; Internet users who access Twitter via any platform at least monthly. Source: eMarketer, September 2009 13
28. More than 25 million people visited in the past 30 days (as of 8-2009)
Yelpers have written over 7 million local reviews.
29. In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events, special offers, lists and to talk with other Yelpers.
30. Every business owner (or manager) can setup a free account to post offers, photos and message her customers
31. Blog Is The Centerpiece 15
32. Blogging Facts Search Engine Friendly (SEO) Dialogue with your Customers Hear Customer Feedback Communicate with blogging community Allows for distribution via RSS Facilitates both Push & Pull content interaction 16
33. Social Media Examples 17
34. Social Media Examples 18
35. Social Media Examples 19
36. Social Media Examples 20
37. Social Media Examples 21
38. Social Media Examples 22
39. Social Media Examples 23
40. Social Media Examples Multiple Conversations 24
41. Social Media Roadmap 25
42. Social Media Roadmap First Step Know Your Audience Create A Strategy Integrate With Marketing Commit Resources & Time Dont Be Afraid 26
44. Thank You Lawrence Kirsch Marketing & Management Consulting Larry@LawrenceKirsch.com www.LawrenceKirsch.com 760-845-1633 28