2. Join the SocialMedia Groundswell 3. Overview
- Discover social media tools plus dos and donts for social media marketing,
- Explore how microblogging, social bookmarking, and blogs can extend your reach online, and
- Learn to leverage your digital assets for social media promotion including images, video (Flickr & YouTube)
- Pull together social media basics, tools and examples to develop a practical social media strategy for you.
4. Before we get started
- Which Social Media tools are you interested in learning most:
___ Twitter___ MySpace ___ Facebook___ LinkedIn ___ YouTube ___ Blogger___ Flickr___ Digg___ Other: ____________________ 5. Social Media Stats
- 675,854,000 people a month use social networks
- 70.4% of the global online population use social networks every month
- Social networks see 360 trillion pages viewed per month
- Users spend 11% of their time online on social networks
Retrieved from: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAllCustom&friendId=423649524&swapped=true 6. Social Media Dos
- It is okay to have a Social Media identity for a business or for an individual
- Claim your name on Twitter.
- Use the various tools for sharing specific media.
- Share good links. Share your expertise. Be generous with your expertise.
7. Social Media Dos
- Engage with people's real wants, needs and actual interests. Instead of trying to push your own agenda.
- The golden rule is to treat others as you would like to be treated. Or tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.
8. Social Media Donts
- Pushing an agenda strongly will just make you look like a spammer.
- If you're trying to sell directly through your social media, that will also flag you as a spammer.
- Don't shout. It makes sense, but people do it. Accept other views.
- Don't try to compete for a high score.
- Don't treat it as a technology. Treat it as a medium where people interact.
9. Social Media Donts
- Don't treat it as one-way communication. It'ssocialmedia.
- Don't be a robot. Be a human being.
- Don't hide your identity. Be yourself.
- Don't try to run before you walk. Don't try to do too much too soon.
- Never, ever post drunk, tired or emotional.
- Dont try too much share your own stuff only; tweet 100 times a day; change your Facebook status every 10 seconds.
10. Why Tweet?
- One of the 10 top social media sites
- Twitter.com is fastest growingincreasing 1,928% year-over-year
- June 20081 million unique visitors
- June 200921 million unique visitors
- Twitter the fourth most visited member communities site.
11. Why Tweet?
- Average time per person on Twitter increased 522% year-over-year
- Fastest growing by time per person among the top 10. (Source: Nielsen Online)
12. Why Tweet?
- Improving Customer Service
- Increasing Brand Awareness
13. What is Twitter?
- An ongoing stream of information, kind of like a chat session.
- Direct Messages are like email fromone person to another, private.
- Tweets are on a public timeline (unless you have changed your settings to show only to those who you allow to follow you.
14. Twitter Tools Abound
15. Your Twitter Profile 16. Marketing Tip #1 You can create a unique look for yourTwitter page that's totally different fromother people's Twitter page. Your Twitter page can reflect the look, feel and identity that you have set in place for others to see. 17. Marketing Tip #2 Because you are a person communicatingwith other people on Twitter, you shouldadd something personal in there like "a mom" or "a dad" or "father of three." Those kinds of things actually add a little more personality into your biography. 18. Marketing Tip #3 Instead of using the automatic RT method,try this: "TSTC tops the list and then theURL. Then say, "via @EliskaF." 19. Marketing Tip #4 Often people are very responsive withdirect messages whereas they are not responsive at all with regular email. 20. Why Facebook?
- More than 200 million active users.
- Demographic with 35- to 54-year oldsare the fastest growing demographic,and the 55+ demographic isn't far behind.
- Began by and for college students.
21. What is Facebook?
- Facebook continues to lead as theNo. 1 U.S. social networking site forthe sixth month in a row.
- 87.3 million unique visitors in June 2009.
22. What is Facebook?
- Facebook was also the No. 1 socialnetworking site among the top 10 whenranked by average time per person.
- Visitors spending avg. 4 hrs 33 mins. on the site in June. 240% year-over-year increase.(Source: Nielsen Online)
23. What is Facebook? 24. Facebook Fan Pages 25. Why MySpace?
- MySpace.com is movingtoward becoming anentertainment portal, with MySpace Music helping to cement their presence in SM.
26. Why MySpace?
- Since the sites launch inSeptember 2008, uniquevisitors to the music.myspace.com subdomain have increased 190 percent 4.2 million unique visitors to 12.1 million in June 2009. Year-over-year traffic to the URL has increased 1,017 percent.
27. What is MySpace?
- MySpace is a social networkingwebsite with an interactive,user-submitted network of friends, personal profiles, blogs, groups, photos, music ...
- Profile is more customizable than Facebook
- Preferred by some of TSTCs younger prospects and new students
28. Creating an Account 29. Why LinkedIn?
30. What is LinkedIn?
- LinkedInis a business-oriented social networking site founded in Dec. 2002and launched in May 2003 mainlyused for professional networking.
- As of July 2009, it had more than 43 million registered users, spanning 170 industries.
31. Creating Your Profile 32. Why Blogger?
- Helps you to keep fresh content on the Web, building your brand.
- Helps you establish your expertise. You write about what you know. You write case studies, answer questions, give examples and have conversations.
- Helps you control your message.
33. What is Blogger?
- Blogger is a content management system that builds a personal website.
- It's one of the easiest ways to publish your content on the web as well as attract organic search results.
- - Blogger (no tech skills required and a Google product)
- -Wordpress.org (requires tech expertise
- -TypePad (no tech skills required)
34. Preparing to Blog
- Determine your ideal prospects, your audience.
- Keep it useful and relevant.
- Make a goal to interact, build community, enhance credibility, reputation, or build expertise, generate prospects, industry partners?
35. Preparing to Blog
- Be clear about your topics. People mostly want advise. What advise can you offer?
- Read other blogs in your field and see what other people are writing about in your niche and start connectingwith those people,bouncing off of theirposts.
36. Why flickr?
- Upload and share photos to other sites.
- Photos can be of higher quality.
- Uses someone elses server.
- Solution to sharing photos on Facebook and MySpace, etc. in one swoop.
37. What is flickr? According toFlickr , it is almost certainlythe best online photo management and sharing application in the world. 38. Getting started on flickr
- Get a Yahoo ID at yahoo.com if you dont have one.
- Go to flickr.com and sign in. Click Upload Photos to get started.
- Upload them individually or download a Flickr desktop tool to automate the process.
39. Getting started on flickr
- Adding photos creates a photostream.
- Can be a single set of images or organized by subject, location or any label you wish.
- Flickr sets default to Public, but you can change this to Private.
- Be free or go Pro, youre choice.
40. Why YouTube?
- People are marching in droves to the web to watch video.
- Most people have broadband.
- YouTubes innovations include:
- Easy for users to contribute videos
- Central location to find video
- Helping users host andlink to videos on theInternet.
41. What is YouTube? YouTubeis a video-sharing site that lets users upload and view all sorts of video clips online. The site has become a repository for literally millions of movie and TV clips, music videos, home videos, and video blogs. 42. Setting up a YouTube Channel BEWARE: Do not upload any TV shows, music videos, music concerts, or commercials without permission unless they consist entirely of content you created yourself. 43. Uses of YouTube 1. Flag a video for future viewing 2. Save your favorite videos 3. Create a video playlist 4. Share a video via email 5. Watch on your mobile device 44. Uses of YouTube 6. Post a video comment 7. Post video to your blog 8. Upload live video to your channel 9. Upload videos from your phone 10. Edit within YouTube (basic) 45. Why Digg? Build visibility and authority Grow your direct traffic Connect with key influencers Boost your audience reach Increased stickiness and loyalty Encourage links 46. What is Digg?
- Social bookmarking site. Bookmarking, butshared with other peopl
- You can make friends and share the cool links with those people automatically. They can just have a look.
- Includes voting mechanism to vote content up or down.
47. Other Bookmarking Sites
- Digg.com - Tough but worth it
- Del.icio.us - Not huge traffic butsometimes gain links long after
- Reddit.com - Not too tough, nice little traffic spike
- StumbleUpon.com - Easiest to get traffic
- Mixx.com - Up and coming, one to watch
48. Your Digg Profile 49. Questions?