1. How to Webinar: Intro to Web Analytics What Google Analytics Can Do For YouMay 2012
2. IntroductionsArden Kaley, Digital Marketing StrategistGoogle Analytics Certifiedakaley@r2integrated.com @mynameisardenAgenda @r2integrated Intro to Google Analytics#r2ihowto Overview of Standard Reporting Audience Reports Traffic Sources Reports How to Use Custom Tracking URLs Content & Conversion Reports How to Set Up Goals & Funnels Ardens Top 5 Reports you Have to Read Overview of Administration How to Track Site Searches How to Use Custom Tracking URLs & Code Variations Ardens Top 5 Settings You Must Set Upwww.r2integrated.com Analytics Best Practices Q&A
4. Intro to Google AnalyticsWhat Google Analytics Can Do For YouOPTIMIZE & IMPROVE TO ACHIEVE BUSINESS GOALSUnderstand Your AudienceGain Insights That Matter Customize ReportsWho are they? How do visitors behave? What reports best addressWhere did they come What distinguishes convertingmy business needs? from?visitors from non-convertingWhat metrics can I bringWhat do they want to visitors?together to see the full know? What segments are most likelypicture?to convert?
5. Getting Started
6. Getting StartedTracking Code When deciding whether or not to use subdomain or cross domain tracking, consider all the web properties (individual websites) that your brand has. Learn more about @googleanalytics sub and cross domain tracking: http://bit.ly/KaYZAm
7. Getting StartedVisitors OverviewHome vs. Custom Tab The Home tab shows you a list of all your dashboards, the Intelligence Events, as well as Real Time tracking. On the custom tab, you can create a custom report that connects two pieces of data that are listed in separated reports under in the Standard Reporting.Custom Reporting Tab
8. Standard ReportingVisitors OverviewAudience Reports Audience Reports give you a clear picture of who your audience is, answering theNew vs. Returning Visitors question What do they look like? Location Demographics Have you ever seen your own site as a referring source for itself? This can help you figure out why: http://bit.ly/Kcndu6Engagement Behavior
9. Standard ReportingTraffic Sources Reports All Traffic Sources The Traffic Sources section is where you can begin to answer the question How are people finding your site? by either source or medium.Traffic Sources OverviewSocial: Pages Where are your visitors coming from: how to understand and optimize the Traffic Sources reports. http://bit.ly/L2xhVB
10. Custom Tracking URLsCustom URL Tracking Tool: URL Builder Anytime your digital or offline marketing assets drive visitors back to your website, use the URL Builder to create custom tracking links for each asset for better attribution of marketing leads.If youre sending out linksback to your site, use thecustom GA trackingcodes. Its too simply notto! http://bit.ly/KZla7z
11. Standard ReportingContent Reports Pages Report The Content section helps you to understand what content on your site visitors are interacting with and how they navigate between that content. Navigation SummaryDevelop a converting visitorprofile to optimize your site forconversions! http://bit.ly/ro6fOZ Should you be using Event Tracking on your website? Probably heres why: http://bit.ly/MXO1Ok
12. Standard ReportingConversion Reports Goal Set Up All the reports in this section answer the question you wantMulti Channel Funnels to know are people doing what I want them to on my website? Assisted ConversionsWhat match type fitsyour goals? Learn morefrom @googleanalyticshttp://bit.ly/MXO1Ok
13. Admin OverviewSite Search When visitors use the Site Search, they are telling you exactly what they are looking for listen to them!Listen to your web visitorsby enabling site search inyour #analytics datahttp://bit.ly/KYxHZb
14. Admin OverviewGoals & Funnels Establish what it is visitors on your site should be doing, then begin to track this data using URL destination, time on site, pages per visit, or event tracking goals. Understand goal types in @googleanalytics link.com http://bit.ly/KQtqJB
15. Ardens Top 5Reports You Have to ReadTraffic Sources Utilize the Visitors with Conversion segment to better understand the most profitable traffic sources andleverage these sources to gain more qualified visitorsSite Search These visitors are telling you exactly what theyre looking for! Listen to what your visitors are telling you andoptimize pages accordinglyMobile Devices Were seeing increasing numbers of visits from mobile devices, but not an increase in conversions from mobiledevices. Ensure your website is optimized for mobile visitors to convert.Top Conversion Paths Found in the Multi-Channel Funnels section, this report will give insight into how often visitors have to come toyour website before converting as well as how they are connecting with you.Content Pages Like with the Traffic Sources, look at the top content pages but then compare this data with the top contentpages from Visitors with Conversions. You may find that converting visitors are highly interested in a particularpiece of content on your website that you need to draw out onto top tier pages. You can also learn a lot aboutyour visitors by examining how they navigate the site through the Navigation Summary.
16. Ardens Top 5Settings You Have to Set UpAnnotations These are essential in understanding the peaks and valleys in your data. Although you can operate withoutthem, having them directly in your charts will be a quick time saver when analyzing your data.Event Tracking Somewhere on your site, there is a micro conversion that you cant track just through pageviews. Use eventtracking to better understand how visitors engage with your site.Filtered Profile Get rid of your employees visits to the site! We want to know how people outside of your company areengaging with the site.Goals What do you want people to do when they get to your website? Figure that out, then track it!Advanced Segments By far my favorite feature to use, Advanced Segments can be set up for anything and everything mobilevisitors with conversions, mobile non-branded visitors who came through an interior page from organic search,banner ad visitors who spent more than 10 seconds on the site, etc. Learn how these custom segmentsnavigate your site to better understand each audience.
17. Ardens Top 5Analytics Best PracticesUse Annotations to Dictate When You Make Changes This is a Ardens Top 5 setting because its a best practice. If you include these dates within youll be able tostart seeing how your digital marketing efforts are affecting your website traffic.Have at Least 3 Profiles per Web Property When you create a web property you should have the following 3 profiles Unfiltered: no changes, no goals, no filters, just data Test Profile: include all your filters and goals, and use this profile to test if they are working before movingthem to the Reporting Profile: after checking the filters and goals are accurately set up on the test profile, copy themto this profile which will always be the profile you use when pulling any reportUse utm Tracking Links on Every Inbound Link This allows you to control the cleanliness of your data and accurately attribute web traffic to your marketingefforts so that you can better understand what is bringing you the best ROI
18. Ardens Top 5Analytics Best PracticesCreate a Converting Visitor Profile Understand what it takes to get a visitor to convert on your website, then optimize the way you reach potentialcustomers as well as the user experience on your website to direct them to the appropriate content that is likelyto result in conversions.Keep Digging! When you are looking through the Standard Reporting, theres nothing you can do to edit, delete, or change thedata that youre working with. So slice and dice away! This is your playground so dont be afraid to dig in anddrill down as much as you possibly can. Draw conclusions from the data you see, identify trends, and test othertheories. You can never ruin the data thats been collected so go nuts!
19. Questions & AnswersConnect With MeArden Kaley, Digital Marketing StrategistGoogle Analytics Certifiedakaley@r2integrated.com@mynameisarden@r2integrated Read all our tweets by following #r2ihowto or visit our blog to learn more http://bit.ly/NdRTsrwww.r2integrated.com