10. Document TypesDifferent documents requiredifferent
proofreading tipsThe most annoyingelements need the
mostattentionDifferent people havedifferent weaknesses
11. Color HuntAttention to detail64-color boxPage 8
12. Common Proong Symbols ! transpose (swap)! insert text or
punct.blah ! close up!# insert space ! begin new paragraph insert
period ! no new paragraph! insert apostrophe or quotation mark !
capitalize delete ! make lowercase
13. Proofreading Exercise Dear Mr. Blanton: is is in reply to
your letter of Jan , about the benets Mr. omas Kaiser is receiving
for his disability retirement under the Civil Service Retirement
System. To alleviate any nancial hardship to Mr Kaiser while his
claim was being processed monthly payments of . was authorized.
When nal approval of the award was made, his rate was established
atTwenty-one Errors . a month comencing March , . His payments was
then increased to . ective April , . With a . per month deducktion
for health benets his current net rate is .. Mr.Can you nd them
all? Kayser had been paid all aniuty due to date. Future checks
mailed to him on the rst business day of the month. Any
inconvenieince caused Mr. Kaiser is regreted. Sincerely Yours,
14. Dear Mr. Blanton: , ~ ~ 1 Thishs in reply to your letter of
January 28, [email protected] the2 benefits Mr. Thomas Kaiser is receiving for
his disability retirement3 under the Civil Service Retirement
System. ~4 To alleviate any financial hardship to ~ser while his
claim ~ "~~5 was being [email protected] payments of$40.00~orized.6
When final approval of the award was made, his rate was established
at7 .e"> aa, C~g ~ month ~4 March 4, 2---. His payments ~en ~~ .
0 ~~OO8 increased to $64.00 ~eDApril 30, 2---. With~er month Q .,~
-y"~9 de~n for health bene~ current net rate is $26.Q6. Mr. 08 ~~
Of!: ~IJ, ~ 10 ~~en paid all ~due to date. Future chec~o ~ .11 him
on the first ~ss day of the month. .12 Any inconve~~aUsed Mr.
Kaiser is [email protected] ~13 [email protected],~1
15. Spelling Ice-Breaker
16. FrequentlyConfused WordsEasy mistakes that spell check wont
17. Frequently Confused Words a suggestion (its a thing)advice
I need advice on buying ice. to help guide (its an action)advise
You are wise. Can you advise?
18. Frequently Confused Words to inuence (its an action) aect
Will this aect our community? a result (its a thing) eect What eect
will this have on us?
19. Frequently Confused Words to distribute allot Our team was
allotted two hours. more than a little a lot Orlando has a lot of
trac. alot not a word
20. Alot Image courtesyHyperbole and a Half
21. Frequently Confused Words smaller number (countable items)
fewer I got fewer emails today! smaller amount (uncountable ideas)
less There is less water in that puddle.
22. Frequently Confused Words distancefarther Tampa is farther
away than Ocala. degreefurther I want to go further with my
23. Frequently Confused Words performing an action I I sent
that email last week. being acted upon me She sent me another copy.
acting reexively (reecting back)myself I hurt myself this
24. Frequently Confused Words you performing an action &I
You and I sent that email last week. you being acted upon & me
She sent you and me another copy.you & not usedmyself
25. Frequently Confused Words contraction: it is its I think
its too hot outside. possession: belonging to it its Florida is
known for its sun.
26. Frequently Confused Wordslie 1 l g l-i ng ; past lay 1 l
verb(; past laid .ld) ln) lay l past part lain [ intrans. ] nverb (
lyin 1 a trans. ho or gently positio g rizontalesp.restin or to lie
or [ ssume ]aput down, carefully : she laid the baby in his1 (of a
person or animal) be in crib. face downward on the grass | I had e
man lay ws ando n a supp orting surface : th [ trans. ] lay back on
the pillo og g y | Lilyprevent (something) from rising off the
ground : there may ause I was gr been the odd light shower just to
lay the dust. dow n for two hours bec have watched him. en on the
table. a2 e :trans.k] lay op c [ a boo put down and set in position
for use : it is advisable to have (of a thing) rest at on a surf
your carpet laid rby lace. on) be buried laid.in a particula p a
professional | gurative the groundwork for change had been es in
ruins today | (of a dead pers pt in a specied state : the church li
ty. remain, or be ke set cutlery, crockery, lie emp 2 be, p lay
utting homeless fam ilies into apartm ents that would otherwiseand
mats on (a table) in preparation for a mealb:eshe und the table for
thees in meal. e or li fo laid : the solution evening a return to
ct) resid (often be laid with) cover (a surface) with objects or a
substance : (of something abstra al family values. Use a dierent
word. n ortiles.ection : th dir e small town tradition speoor d
polaidowith the cie was siti 3 (of a place ) be situated in a make
ready .(a trap) for someone : she wouldnt put it past him to lay a
nor of Boston about ten milestrapth her. s viewpoint in a specied
of Swampscott lies for observer (of a scene ) extend from the
puterdam lies beforeforu(a re) in place and arrange it. (set, put,
placed, napped, reclined, the material yo . ere, and all of Amst r
sustainable. direction : stand h ) be ad idea or o lay 4 work out
(anmissible suggestion) in detail ready for use or n, charge, or
claim 4 La w (of an actio e) or bbed, depending on meaning)
presentation : Id like more time to lay my plans. lie noun (usu.
the li lay ich something lies. past of lie . n (in whsomething
before). presentrds the information or suggestions to be 1 the way,
dir ection, or positioconsidered omesacted st, esp bys(someone) :
he laid before the House ball c and to re upon a rega Golf the posi
tion in which a golf for the establishment of the committee.
proposals ease of the next shot. (usu. be laid) a bird. (an episode
in a play, novel, etc.) in a certain or locate la ce of co ver of
an animal the lair or p place : no one who knew the area could be
in doubt where the scene was laid.
27. Frequently Confused Words to misplace lose Spelling makes
me lose my mind. not tight loose This clamp is so loose it wont
28. Frequently Confused Words an actionpassed The car passed
by. a description The car went past. past a time The trouble is in
29. Frequently Confused Words comparison than I like blue more
than green. time then Lets chat, then do lunch.
30. Frequently Confused Words contraction: they aretheyre Maybe
theyre the experts. possession: belonging to them their They work
with their hands. location: not here (& other uses) there
Please park over there.
31. Frequently Confused Words number: between one and three two
I see two paragraphs here. addition: also or excess too I see too
many paragraphs, too. all other uses to I want to go to Lake
32. Frequently Confused Words describes actionhow its done well
You did your job very well. describes thingstells quality good You
did a very good job.
33. Frequently Confused Words placeholder for actor who Who
sent that to you? placeholder for acted upon whom You sent that to
34. Frequently Confused Words contraction: you are youre I
think youre working too much. possession: belonging to you your Is
that your winning Lotto ticket?
35. Worrisome WordsNot caught by spell checkNeed attention to
detailWork with a partner onpages 1011, with onlyone rule: Do not
guess.Figure it out or ask around.