A high-level look at what it takes to build a successful WordPress-powered intranet, as presented at WordCamp OC on May 14, 2011.
1. Building an Intranetwith WordPressJeff HesterWordCamp OCMay 14, 2011 1
2. 2 I am passionate about WordPress
3. 3 #intrawc#ocwc @jeffhester
4. 4 What the heck is an intranet?
5. 5 Anintranetis a privatecomputer networkthat usesInternet Protocoltechnology to securely share any part of an organization's information ornetwork operating systemwithin that organization. Wikipedia
6. 6 So what exactly is an intranetgood for?
8. 8 Intranetsby the Numbers THE SIX STEPS
9. STEP ONEKnow what you want to accomplish Photo: Alex Osterwalder
10. STEP TWOSetup your development environment
11. STEP THREEDefine security and use policies
12. STEP FOURBuild, Test & Deploy Photo: robynejay
14. STEP SIXMeasure the results(see step #1) Photo: Darren Hester Photo:
15. Your WordPress-powered Intranet Toolkit #1 of 3 Restricted Site Access Restrict access to named users or Ips White Label CMS Simplify the admin console and brand with your organization identity Avatars Allows users to upload an avatar 15
16. Your WordPress-powered Intranet Toolkit #2 of 3 Calendar Provide an event calendar on any page, post or in a sidebar Gravity Forms Replace offline forms with online versions and rudimentary workflow Image Widget Simple way for non-techies to add images to sidebars 16
17. Your WordPress-powered Intranet Toolkit #3 of 3 Stray Random Quotes Not just for quotes, but just about any rotating content WP-prettyPhoto Turn the built-in WordPress gallery into something better (among other things) BackupBuddy Automate the backup process 17
18. 18 Its HAMMERtime!
19. 19 Hike your own hike(aka YMMV)
20. 20 Jeff Hesterjeff.firstname.lastname@example.org www.jeffhester.net @jeffhester