St. Catherine PowerPoint
Embed Size (px)
Text of St. Catherine PowerPoint
- 1. St. Catherine of Siena By ELB, AMB, and ARF
2. Catherine of Siena http://www. crossroadsinitiative .com/ pics /Saint_Catherine_of_Siena_Doctor_of_the_Church.jpg 3. Important Dates in Her Life
- Born on March 25th, 1347 in Siena, Italy
- First vision of Christ was when she was 6 years old- in the year 1353
- Died 1380 in Rome of a stroke
- Canonized (became a saint) in 1461
- Declared doctor of the church by Pope Paul VI in 1970
4. All of her names
- Was the 23rd of 25 children
- Her mother was Lapa Piacenti- she was the daughter of a local poet
- Her father was Giacomo de Benincasa- he was a wool dyer
- They belonged to the lower-middle class
6. Map of Italy http://www.pickatrail.com/jupiter/location/europe/italy/map/siena.gif 7. Her writings
- Was a book that contained her conversations with a soul and god
- Was inspired by the Holy Spirit.
- She didnt physically write it, but she dictated it and it was taken down by her followers
- She wrote many letters to important people such as kings and popes involved in the Great Western Schism
8. Her Accomplishments
- Focused on bringing the pope back to Rome
- Cared for the sick, did charity work, and was involved political events of her time
- Learned how to write at the end of her life
- She was a mediator (settled differences)
9. What Do We Learn About Medieval Women from Her?
- We learn that women didnt have much say in anything high status.
- It was hard for medieval women to make their own decisions and be independent
- Catherine of Siena still managed to be successful and make people listen to her.
10. Her Obstacles
- Lived through the Black Death, Famine, and Numerous Civil wars
- Her parents tried to discourage her from becoming religious
http://images. google .com/ imgres ? imgurl =http://www. stcatherine -ml.org/About/St-Catherine%2520of%2520Siena-circa_1746_by_Giovanni_Battista_ Tiepolo .jpg& imgrefurl =http://www. stcatherine -ml.org/About/Patron. htm & usg =__VviT5xl__QwGrgA1jTZe9Zxlpys=&h=450&w=337& sz = 37&hl=en&start=1& tbnid =C78QNcg5IpbwJM:& tbnh =127& tbnw =95& prev =/images%3Fq%3Dst%2Bcatherine%2Bof%2Bsiena%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG 11. Our Reaction to Her
- Our reaction to her is that she is very unique
- She is unique because she did what most women of her class and time would not be able to accomplish
12. The Saint http://www. charlesrathert .com/ reflectionministries /images/Saint%20Catherine%20of%20Siena.JPG 13. Fun Facts!
- She was buried in the Church of St. Maria Sopra Minerva
- Saw guardian angels starting when she was 6
- She married Jesus in a vision
- She was a virgin and swore not to marry
14. Thank You! We Hope You Enjoyed Our Presentation