INNOVATIONTHE VANDERBILT BUSINESS MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATE
ABOUT THE VANDERBILT BUSINESS MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATEYou’re ready to invest in yourself—and we’re invested in your success. The Vanderbilt Business Management Certificate is a suite of four faculty-led courses designed to build your expertise and bridge any gaps in your knowledge. This program is meant for working professionals like you who want to upskill on their own schedule, at their own pace.
This is a top-to-bottom, interdisciplinary program. The curriculum will propel you to be a better leader, no matter your background; you can add value to your current role, improve your business acumen, or align yourself for a promotion.
In each course, you will gain actionable ideas that you can take back to your team. You will also be equipped with strategies for organizational design, team motivation, financial analysis, and more that you can utilize throughout your career.
WHY CHOOSE VANDERBILT’S BUSINESS CERTIFICATE?• Earn your full certificate in less than a year. Complete the program in as
little as eight months, even while working full time.
• Attend an elite school at an affordable price. Vanderbilt University ranks No. 14 overall and the Owen School ranks as the No. 23 best business school (U.S. News & World Report). Our tuition is lower than many other comparable programs, and we offer a bundle discount to participants who register for the full, four-course certificate.
• Establish your personal brand. We work with you to identify your existing strengths, cultivate them, and pitch them to others. You will become more confident in your communication skills and learn to be a more effective presenter, whether in person or on video.
• Experience a personalized approach. We don’t just teach you the best business strategies—we also teach you how to adapt them to your current role or organization.
• Build a network you can count on. All online courses include opportunities to chat with our full-time faculty and engage in discussions with other cohort members. Our participants have the opportunity to forge professional relationships that will last a lifetime.
Alumni Perspectives Survey Report, Graduate Management Admission Council
93%of alumni find their
business education to be personally
91%of alumni find their
business education to be professionally
“We are a small business school, and that is part of our strategy. Our mission is to provide world-class business education on a personal scale. That means our students have access to connected conversations, personalized instruction, and mentorship.”
M . E R I C J O H N S O NRalph Owen Dean, Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management
CURRICULUM OVERVIEWThe Vanderbilt Business Management Certificate consists of four courses: Strategic Leadership, Finance and Accounting, Strategic Innovation, and Strategy and Operations.
The courses are asynchronous, meaning you can access them at any time, and the faculty-led content is presented in stackable, six- to eight-minute segments. Each course also features short readings, case studies, peer-reviewed projects, and interactive discussion forums.
Earn 4.5 continuing education units by completing the full certificate. Courses are also available on an individual basis.
Strategic LeadershipLearn to:
• Manage teams and foster effective decision-making
• Create and communicate a vision for workplace change
• Build coalitions that work
• Master the art of self-management
• Develop your executive personal brand
• Improve your presence online, in email, and on video
• Become a more persuasive presenter
Strategic InnovationLearn to:
• Generate, assess, and implement great ideas in your organization
• Build your organization’s capacity for innovation, including creating an innovative culture
• Lead innovation projects, processes, and teams
• Recognize big issues lurking on the horizon before they become constraints
• Drive adoption of great ideas
• Develop and manage an innovation portfolio
• Innovate to stay relevant and competitive in a fast-changing landscape
Finance and AccountingLearn to:
• Utilize sound financial concepts to make better-informed decisions
• Understand the three main types of financial statements and how they can be used to evaluate your firm’s performance
• Apply decision-making criteria for evaluating capital investments and creating cash-flow forecasts
• Learn how to identify and measure risk, and then translate that into sound investment decisions
Strategy and OperationsLearn to:
• Plan and implement a business strategy from start to finish
• Analyze both the external and internal context of your firm using established frameworks
• Identify sources of competitive advantage
• Align functional strategies with corporate strategies
• Measure success—and distinguish good metrics from bad metrics
• Analyze and improve manufacturing and service processes
• Use time-tested tools such as process flow diagrams and queuing theory
• Design and lead successful projects that support your organizational strategy
• Create a work breakdown structure, uncertainty assessment, network diagram, Gantt chart schedule, and communication plan for your project
• Close your project effectively
The top five soft skills companies
need most, according to LinkedIn’s
The Learning Blog, are creativity,
persuasion, collaboration, adaptability,
and emotional intelligence. These skills
are all emphasized throughout our
business management courses.
REGISTRATION & TUITIONRegistration Requirements
We welcome registrants of all levels and prior experience. This program is especially beneficial for working professionals who want to upgrade their skills, current or aspiring managers who want to increase their leadership capabilities, and recent graduates who want a strong introduction to the business world without pursuing an MBA.
• An associate or bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required
• International participants are encouraged to apply. No formal language scores are required, but participants should be comfortable communicating in English.
Tuition and Discounts
Cost per course $995
Total courses 4
Total fees No additional fees
Textbook costs No textbooks needed
Total program cost with bundle discount*
*Participants who register for the full, four-course certificate receive a $185 bundle discount.
Many of our participants receive full or partial reimbursement from their employer. To learn more about how to talk with your supervisor or HR department about reimbursement, contact a Vanderbilt career advisor at 844.825.9663 or email [email protected].
ABOUT OUR SCHOOLOwen Graduate School of Management
Ranked as a top business school by U.S. News & World Report, Financial Times, Businessweek, and Forbes, the Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management supplies a world-class education on a personal scale.
Our top-ranked management education provides the knowledge, skills, connections, and support that will help you achieve your career goals. We develop businesspeople who can lead and manage change, drawing not only on what they learn here about business, but also what they learn about themselves.
The Owen School is a place where you will be challenged to achieve your potential, find support as you shape your future, discover lifelong friends and mentors, and open doors to new possibilities.
Vanderbilt University is a globally renowned research university in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The University is dedicated to providing a collaborative atmosphere of discovery that drives positive change in the world.
Vanderbilt is committed to inclusive excellence, drawing the world’s brightest students, faculty, and distinguished visitors from across all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
“There’s this stereotype of business students being in it for themselves. Our students are definitely driven, but they are extremely collaborative. This is a school where people get to know each other. Faculty are welcoming and engaging, and are open to any need for help or accommodation.”
R A N G A R A M A N U J A MRichard M. and Betty Ruth Miller Professor of Management
Connect with us.
Our personal approach to business education includes a team of career advisors ready to serve you. Contact us today to talk about your goals and get answers to any questions you might have.