2010 Presentation by Joel Lunenfeld, CEO of Moxie Interactive.
1. What Video Games can Teach Us about Real time Marketing Joel Lunenfeld, CEO Moxie Interactive
2. Up until now, social media required the following skills
3. SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION...
4. REALLY SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION...
5. A PRETTY FACE
6. DISREGARD FOR SAFETY...
7. Social media was everymans reality TV show.
8. It was about getting exposure. It was about getting noticed. Getting your 15 minutes of fame was never easier. Digital word-of-mouth could turn you into an Internet celeb. What ever happened to LonelyGirl15?
9. ANYTHING ANYBODY could now be video taped, for better or for worse.
10. Technology put a camera and confessional booth in everybody's life.
11. You friended everyone. And you posted inappropriate pictures to get attention.
12. How did you find your Job?
13. And anyone could be an expert about anything with a publishing platform.
14. And all social media was like American Idol
15. And all social media was like American Idol The goal is to become famous for anything. Getting votes is like getting Web traffic. But talent isnt everything (i.e. Cat Videos). Some of us just couldnt look away.
16. Today, marketers need to think more like video game developers than reality show producers.
17. We're addicted to gaming because of the sense of achievement, positive experiences, and connections to the real world. We're addicted to gaming because of the combination of reality and fantasy.
18. It's about going on a mission and generating points: Likes, thumbs up, comments, positive sentiment, photo uploads, # of followers, crops, etc.
19. It can literally be a game Farm was #1 most popular Facebook status in 2009
20. And what's our game controller?
21. Look in your pocket.
22. Or your phone becomes the controller and you power up when you download tools that facilitate sharing and connecting. for earning points, writing reviews, taking pictures, checking-in, updating your status, etc.
23. World of Warcraft Experience Points Foursquare Real life Experience Points Win a Trophy, Become the Mayor!
24. 1 vs 100 Tests Your Trivia Knowledge Against Other People Aardvark Tests Your General Knowledge to Help Your Friends with Every Day Questions
25. Halo mission maps tell you where to go to battle the Covenant. Google maps tell you where to eat and where not to eat according to your peers.
26. To Gamers, Stats are Everything
27. YOUR narcissism Now expressed in stats.
28. Even expertise is a game, now measured in stats.
29. So how can we apply this to Word of Mouth Marketing?
30. 1. Customize content with levels and public achievements amongst friends Give a reason to co-create and share Allow for personalization Give them a chance to talk about their favorite topic themselves
31. Customize content with levels and public achievements amongst friends
32. 2. Recognize the leaders. Promote their stats. Leverage then influencers of the pack Report back on stats / retweets Amplify their impressions & expressions
33. Recognize the leaders. Promote their stats.
34. 3. Dont Create Campaigns. Create Missions. Reward users for completing an action or task. Use the real word as your digital canvas.