VOLCANOES AND EARTHQUAKES. Each dot on the map represents an Earth scientist’s data. These dots most likely represent zones of frequent fossil correlations. crustal activity. hurricane paths. meteor impacts. Pg. 51-Title Page. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Text of VOLCANOES AND EARTHQUAKES
VOLCANOES AND EARTHQUAKES
• Each dot on the map represents an Earth scientist’s data. These dots most likely represent zones of frequentA. fossil correlations.B. crustal activity.C. hurricane paths.D. meteor impacts.
Pg. 51-Title Page
• Write out the titles: Chapter 12 Earthquakes and Chapter 13 Volcanos.
• 3 pictures for EACH CHAPTER-that’s 6 total.
• 3 keywords for EACH CHAPTER-that’s 6 total.
• 3 colors
In: pg 52
Use the world earthquake map at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ to answer the following questions.
1. On the map, what does each of the following represent?a. The dotsb. Red lines2. Have there been any earthquakes in the US in the last week?3. Where?
According to the Richter Scale, what is the1. Weakest number of
earthquake?2. Strongest number
of earthquake?3. How often do small
4. How often do #10 earthquakes happen?
Mon. 4/7 and Tues. 4/8
• A large belt of mountain ranges and volcanoes surrounds the Pacific Ocean and is often referred to as the Ring of Fire. What events are most closely associated with these mountains and volcanoes?A. EarthquakesB. HurricanesC. TornadoesD. Blizzards
In: Pg. 58• Use the notes on Pg. 55 to answer the questions.1. Where do most earthquakes occur?2. The ______is the point in the crust where movement
occurs first.3. ______ waves can travel through the earth’s interior.4. _______ waves move perpendicular to the motion of
the wave.5. _______ waves can move through solids, liquids and
gases.6. _______ waves cause the most damage during
earthquakes.7. _______is the study of earthquakes.8. The Richter Scale measures the _______ of an
Thru 1: Pg. 59
Article: Disaster in Japan.• Tape in the questions and answer