3. Sumatra earthquakeA minute before 8:00 a colossal earthquake
happened in Sumatra, Indonesia on December 26, 2004 (magnitude of
about 9.3). It happened in the northern part of Indonesia and the
Andaman Sea.It started in the Indian Ocean and went NE and hit
Sumatra. It was the worst earthquake in the last 100 years to occur
in the Indian Ocean. When the earthquake hit Sumatra it hit the
Andaman inland .
4. Here is a map of Indonesia.Sumatra is on the left side of
5. Over 100 people died in the Sumatra earthquake. And it was
vary hard to find the people who were lost, here is a policeman
trying to find the lost and hurt people in the rubble.
6. Unzen the deadly volcano of 1792 by: LG
7. The Unzen volcano picture
8. Unzen, a large volcano on Kyushu near Nagasakai, erupted
catastrophically in 1792.
An earthquake started by the eruption triggered an
9. Unzen the volcano has rapidly grew in the past 200,000
years, forming a large cone.
Eruptions over the past 150,000 years filled in much of the
graben. A graben is a place between two fault lines. Initially,
activity was dominated by blocky andesitic lava and ash flows.
Andesite is an igneous rock with a weird texture.
10. Activity from 150,000 years ago to the present has occurred
at a number of sites all around the volcanic complex, building four
main domes at different times:
The nodake (70-150,000 years old)
Myokendake (25-40,000 years old)
Fugendake (younger than 25,000 years old)
And Mayuyama (4,000 years old.)
11. Mount St. Helens 1980 EruptionBy: NH
There where 36 victims, there was a mud slide that reached a
car 7 miles away. Mount St. Helens lost 1,314 feet after the
eruption, it lost a volume of 0.67 cubic miles, the very bottom of
the crater is at 6,279 feet.
The ash cloud got to a height of 80,000 feet(15.151515 miles
high) in less than 15 minutes and circled the Earth in 15 days and
the ash depth was 10 inches, an area of 22,000 square miles of ash.
It spread across the U.S. in 3 days.
The land slide was 70-150mph, the lateral blast was 300mph. It
blew down enough trees to build 300,000 two-bedroom homes, 4billon
board feet of timber. The final cost was $2.74 billion to repair
every thing Mount St. Helens destroyed . It released 24 megatons of
The temperature of the Pyroclastic Flows was 1,300F it was as
fast as 50-80 miles per hour. Lahars damaged 27 bridges and nearly
16. Krakatau was 2nd largest volcanic eruption in Indonesia of
17. Krakatau is astrato volcano but it also made a caldera
18. It blew off 2,000 feet of the volcano
19. The tsunami was 180 feet high thats the same height as a 14
story high building. It went almost over the entire island.
20. Krakatau killed 36,000 people.It hadnt erupted until that
dayMay 20, 1883 that was the first eruption since two centuries
21. Krakatau made a dust cloud seven story high.
22. Aerial view of Indonesia.
23. The fault lines and volcanoes around Indonesia.
24. Where Krakatau is and the areas it can affect.
25. The eruption of Krakatau
Tangshan, China By: WT
27. The Tangshan, China earthquake on July 27 , 1976 is the
deadliest earthquake recorded.About 242,000 people died from this
28. The reason the 8.3 earthquake was so deadly is because
buildings werent built to withstand the strong force of such an
earthquake. The reason the buildings werent so strong is because it
was in an area that didnt expect earthquakes.
29. The second part of the reason it killed so many people is
because there was only one road to the area that was not destroyed.
80% of the people were saved but an aftershock of a magnitude 7.1
reburied them in rubble.
The night before the earthquake people claim to have heard
strange sounds and weird lights. The animals also gave warning that
the earthquake was about to happen. One thousand chickens refused
to eat and drink and ran around chirping like crazy. Mice and
weasels were sighted running around searching for a place to hide.
In one of the houses a goldfish was jumping in its bowl. At two
oclock a.m. an hour and forty two minutes before the earthquake the
goldfish jumped out of its bowl as the owner kept putting him back
in the bowl the fish kept on jumping out.
31. When the earthquake hit over one million people lay
sleeping they didnt know that the earthquake was about to
The Eruption of Kilauea on
May 18 th , 1924
Most of the blocks were small, but some blocks reached more
than 200 pounds (90 kg). Some of the rocks reached 3,000 feet
(900m) in the air.
35. This is the Kilauea caldera
36. It was raining pisolites (mud balls) as big as peas
The only person killed was Truman Taylor
37. There were about 200 earthquakes before the eruption and
there were reports of the ground splitting open more than a meter
wide and then closing up again
The eruption doubled the diameter of Kilauea to about 3,000