Walking Tours of Historic Hamilton, Ohio

  • Published on
    01-Feb-2016

  • View
    219

  • Download
    0

DESCRIPTION

Walking Tours of Historic Hamilton, Ohio

Transcript

<ul><li><p>1HA</p><p>MIL</p><p>TO</p><p>NW</p><p>alki</p><p>ng T</p><p>ours</p><p> of </p><p>His</p><p>tori</p><p>c H</p><p>amilt</p><p>on, O</p><p>hio</p></li><li><p>2 3</p></li><li><p>2 3</p><p>Table of Contents</p><p>The history of Hamilton .........................................4</p><p>Downtown Hamilton tour ......................................5</p><p>High-Main Bridge Medallions .............................17</p><p>Rossville tour .......................................................21</p><p>German Village tour .............................................35</p><p>Dayton Lane tour .................................................46</p><p>Churches, Synagogues &amp; Temples ........................56</p><p>Map of Hamilton .......................................................67</p><p>Each tour is approximately 1 mile in length.</p><p>This booklet was prepared by the Greater Hamilton Convention &amp; Visitors Bureau and the Greater Hamilton Chamber of Commerce Accent Hamilton Committee.</p><p>Research, Editing, Design: Brochure Chair: Debbie Fescina Rulon, </p><p>Greater Hamilton Convention &amp; Visitors Bureau (CVB)</p><p>Architectural Style and Historic Resources:Walking Tours of Historic Hamilton, Ohio Greater Hamilton CVB 1997</p><p>Hamilton, Ohio, Its Architecture and History May 1986, James Schwartz, PhD, Hamilton City Planning Department</p><p>www.lanepl.org - Jim Blount Local History ResourceAnn Antenen, Director CHAPS: Citizens for Historic </p><p>and Preservation Services </p><p>AcknowledgementsGreater Hamilton CVB and Accent Hamilton Volunteers: </p><p>Dave Belew, Pat Brown, Dave Crawford, John Fabelo, Ginger George, Amy Gray, Gerry Hammond, Jim Irwin, Pat Jonson, </p><p>Matt Lantis, April Martini, Bobbi Sue Morrison, Bob Rusbosin, Judy Stitsinger, Tony Traub, Steve Tuck, Sherry Webb</p><p>Photography:Downtown Hamilton Claude Fant </p><p>Dayton Lane Tim SpoonsterGerman Village Brown Studios</p><p>Rossville Steve Tuck</p></li><li><p>44</p><p>Visit Hamilton Visit History!</p><p>The Greatest Manufacturing City of its Size in the World</p><p>That was one description of Hamilton, Ohio, about 1900 when the county seat of Butler County proudly boasted of being the home of the worlds largest machine tool factory. Hamiltons world-class credentials werent the creation of an imaginative promoter. They were legitimate, the product of powerful elements: an array of bold entrepreneurs. Visionary civic leaders pushed Hamilton to the forefront of transportation advances with bridges, canals and railroads, and developed utilities, starting with a hydraulic canal system to power mills and shops.</p><p>More skilled artisans are to be found in Hamilton than any other city of equal size in the world</p><p>Hamilton was more than a hard working town to William Dean Howells, a renowned author and editor. It seems to me that (it) was a town peculiarly adapted for a boy to be a boy in, said Howells, who reminisced about his joyful years in Hamilton in A Boys Town. </p><p>Among the legacies of Hamiltons success is an accessible assortment of architectural and historic treasures. Structures that represent a cross section of the citys cultural and economic past have been preserved and polished.</p><p>Three compact historic districts plus scenic downtown Hamilton showcase homes large and small along with a variety of business, industrial, non-secular, and other public buildings. First structures in Hamilton were usually log buildings. Later, some were enlarged; others were replaced by brick or brick and stone. Walking or driving, these glimpses into the past can be enjoyed one at a time on separate trips that fit neatly into a busy schedule or one after the other during a single visit. </p><p>This booklet is your personal guide to a tour of Hamiltons remarkable architecture and history.</p></li><li><p>4N</p><p>Gre</p><p>at M</p><p>iam</p><p>i Riv</p><p>er</p><p>HiVgi</p><p>HiVgiHiVgi</p><p>HiVgi</p><p>=ZVidcHi#</p><p>=ZchZaEa#</p><p>K^aaV\ZHi#</p><p>L^a`ZhAc</p><p>A^cYZcHi#</p><p>7jX`ZnZHi#</p><p>:gl^c</p><p>GVXZHi#</p><p>9VnidcHi#</p><p>BVg`ZiHi#</p><p>EZgh]^c\6kZ#</p><p>8ZcigVa6kZ#</p><p>;djgi]Hi#</p><p>CZ^aVcY7akY#</p><p>8djgiHi#</p><p>BVeaZHi#</p><p>HnXVbdgZHi#</p><p>AjYadlHi#</p><p>9VnidcHi#</p><p>7jiaZgHi#8VbeWZaa6kZ#</p><p>=^\]Hi#</p><p>7jX`ZnZHi#7jX`ZnZHi#</p><p>VaaZn</p><p>VaaZn</p><p>VaaZn</p><p>VaaZn</p><p>VaaZn</p><p>VaaZn</p><p>VaaZn VaaZn</p><p>=^\]Hi#</p><p>C^ci]Hi#</p><p>8ZciZgHi#</p><p>;gdciHi#</p><p>HZXdcYHi#</p><p>HZXdcYHi#</p><p>I]^gYHi#</p><p>I]^gYHi#</p><p>KZiZgVch</p><p>BdcjbZci6kZ#=jZhidcHi#</p><p>;Hi#</p><p>:Hi#</p><p>Cdgi]7#Hi#</p><p>Cdgi]8#Hi#</p><p>Cdgi]9#Hi#</p><p>Gdhh6kZ#</p><p>B^aa^`^cHi#</p><p>6bWZgan9g#</p><p>CZlAdcYdcE^`Z Gi#&amp;'-</p><p>BV^cHi#</p><p>Gi#&amp;,,;^gZ]djhZ</p><p>6gX]Zh</p><p>LVncZ6kZ</p><p>#</p><p>Gi#&amp;'.B</p><p>^aak^aaZ6kZ</p><p>#</p><p>:VidcGY#</p><p>;gVc`a^cHi#</p><p>EVg`6kZ#</p><p>6gX]Hi#</p><p>7VWAc#</p><p>Hdji]9#Hi#</p><p>Hdji]8#Hi#</p><p>H^mi]Hi#</p><p>;^[i]Hi# HZkZci]Hi#</p><p>IZci]Hi#</p><p>:aZkZci]Hi#</p><p>:g^Z=^\]lVn</p><p>9Vnidc8VbeWZaaCVi^dcVaGZ\^hiZg9^hig^Xi</p><p>Gdhhk^aaZCVi^dcVaGZ\^hiZg9^hig^Xi</p></li><li><p>6 7</p><p>1 Hamilton Welcome Center One High Street Historically, this portion of the Anthony Wayne Hotel was occupied for private business such as the high-style dress shop, Ericas, owned by 2 sisters-in-law from Hungary. On the east end of the building was the after-hours Tap &amp; Grille that operated from the 1920s to the 1980s. Beer was pumped up to the bar from kegs in the basement underneath. Renovated in 2005 and 2008 as part of a revitalization project, the building is now home to the Greater Hamilton Convention &amp; Visitors Bureau, City of Sculpture, ReDiscover Hamilton, and Downtown SID. Stop in for brochures, maps and souvenirs such as post cards, note cards, books, t-shirts, photographs, mugs and much more!</p><p>2 High Main Street Bridge In the early 1800s, settlers crossed the Great Miami River by ferry boat. A covered toll bridge was opened in 1819. That bridge was destroyed by flood in 1866 and replaced by a suspension bridge, which was torn down in 1895 and replaced with an iron truss structure. The worst flood in Hamiltons history destroyed this bridge in March 1913, and a 5-arch concrete bridge was built in 1914. The current state-of-the-art 5-span bridge complete with flood lighting, a bicycle path, and pedestrian balconies was dedicated on May 6, 2007. Seven medallions depict the history of Hamiltons relationship to the Great Miami River. The eighth is dedicated to the future.</p><p>3 Soldiers, Sailors &amp; Pioneers Monument High &amp; Monument Streets The city landmark was dedicated to perpetuate the memories of Butler County pioneers and veterans. The cornerstone of the memorial was placed in 1902, and the dedication took place on July 4, 1906. Clustered Doric columns flank the entrance of the 3-story Classical Revival building. Each art glass window is unique, honoring the women of war. While the exterior of the </p><p>memorial is faced with cut stone, the interior is finished with pink marble. On the temple dome stands a 17-foot 3,500-pound bronze statue created by Rudolph Theim titled, Victory, representing a Civil War private Billy Yank raising his cap in celebration of victory in the 4-year war. The Monument received a new lighted dome in addition to interior and exterior renovations as the result of a 1988 improvement project. A centennial celebration of the monument was on July 4, 2006.</p></li><li><p>6 7</p><p>4 Log Cabin Monument ParkWhile a larger structure was being razed in the 1960s, this 1804 log cabin was discovered on Park Avenue between North C and D Streets. The 2-story cabin features 2 large chimneys and a double entrance along with a stone foundation, log walls chinked with cement, and a gabled roof. The first recorded owners of the cabin were John Sutherland and Henry Brown, who laid out Rossville. Through the efforts of Walter A. Rentschler and his son, Thomas B. Rentschler, the cabin was reconstructed in Monument Park and furnished with period pieces. Dedicated in 1964, there are 2 bronze plaques that bear attention. One describes the history of the cabin while the other depicts Fort Hamilton, with its layout superimposed on todays street plan.</p><p>5 Flood Levee Viewed from Monument Park The 1913 flood caused the deaths of 200+ Hamilton citizens and the destruction of $10 million worth of property. More than 10,000 people were homeless. The Miami Conservancy District was formed to prevent the recurrence of such a tragedy, to fund and engineer a flood control network of dams and levees, and to re-channel the river. No federal funds have ever been used by the Conservancy. Prior to the 1913 flood, this levee was A Street in Rossville on the west side of the Great Miami River.</p><p>6 Anthony Wayne Hotel 10 S. Monument AvenueThis handsome 7-story structure, built in 1926 and detailed in the Beaux Arts style, has a broad stone clad 1st floor that includes the base of the tower structure, projecting pavilions to the north and south, and an extension to the east. The architect was the locally prominent Frederick G. Mueller, and associated architects were George B. Post and Sons of New York. Post was a prolific architect whose commissions included the Cornelius Vanderbilt house, New York Stock Exchange, and Wisconsin State Capitol. This facility now consists of senior housing and the Hamilton Welcome Center.</p><p>7 Fitton Center for the Creative Arts 101 South Monument Avenue Built in 1991, Fitton Center was the culmination of a major cultural action planning process for Hamiltons Bicentennial year. This contemporary structure is concrete and steel with a porcelainized steel exterior. Fiber optic lighting outlines the </p></li><li><p>8 9</p><p>2 pyramid roof peaks. The 12,000 sq. ft. Carruthers Center for Arts and Technology was added for the facilitys 10th year anniversary. Fitton Center provides exciting classes, outstanding entertainment of all types, and wonderful art galleries with thought provoking exhibits.</p><p>8 Court Street Worship Center 23 Court Street page 62</p><p>9 The Presbyterian Church 23 South Front Street page 62</p><p>10 Farmers Hotel 21 South Front Street This rectangular building, with 3 front and 11 side bays, houses the offices of The Presbyterian Church. Constructed circa 1850 as a hotel, this 4-story building is one of the oldest in the downtown business district. Featuring a parapet dormer on the faade that exhibits corbelled brickwork and a segmental arch of radiating brick voussoirs over the window, the north and south facades have 9 dormers each. The hotels busiest era was 1943-1945, when the lower level was converted into a servicemens canteen. The canteen contained a coed lounge, a kitchen, recreation area, and separate areas for men and women. It served more than 40,000 persons by the time it formally closed on October 14, 1945.</p><p>11 Butler County Courthouse 101 High Street Built between 1885 and 1889 with Corinthian columns and a mansard roof, the Courthouse is an outstanding example of Second Empire architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The symmetrical massing features, which vary from one level to the next, contribute to the buildings imposing stature. It has survived fire, flood, many storms, and other attacks from nature. The worst was a March 14, 1912 fire that took the lives of 3 Hamilton firemen. Todays clock tower </p></li><li><p>8 9</p><p>differs from the original. The first was a 4-tiered, onion-shaped cupola, projecting pedimented pavilions in the center of each faade, which collapsed into the courthouse rotunda during the fire and was replaced with a heavy-scaled, 3-tiered octagonal stone tower. About 1920, lightning damage caused the tower to be modified once again. Nationally recognized restoration occurred in the 1980s and again in the 1990s. </p><p>12 United States Post Office 105 Court Street This structure was built during the early years of the Great Depression in Classic Revival style with 2-story pilasters and Corinthian columns. A large eagle carved in stone and 2 small balustrades adorn the front parapet. Inside, murals by WPA artists depict the industrial history of Hamilton.</p><p>13 Front Street Church of God 111 South Front Street page 60</p><p>14 Hamilton Police Department 331 South Front Street Formed in 1875, just 46 years after the Metropolitan Police was formed in London, England, the Hamilton Police Department is the 139th internationally accredited law enforcement agency. A memorial sculpture, The Protector, dedicated to officers killed in the line of duty, depicts an officer in authentic winter uniform. A bronze plaque lists the names of the fallen. </p><p>15 First Saint John United Church of Christ 412 South Front Street page 5816 Payne Chapel A.M.E. Church </p><p> 320 South Front Street page 6117 Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church </p><p> 212 South Front Street page 6618 First United Methodist Church </p><p> 225 Ludlow Street page 59</p></li><li><p>10 11</p><p>19 Old Federal Building South Third and Ludlow StreetsBuilt as the Federal Building in 1909 at a cost of $130,000, this Neo-Classical Revival square building with 5 front and side bays sits on a high base of smooth stone blocks with a stone water table. Four Corinthian columns that alternate with 2 large multi-paned windows flank the main portal. Other details include wide pilasters, modillions, egg-and-dart molding, and small raised circle patterns. Occupants have included the U.S. Postal Service, Butler County Board of Elections, and Board of Health.</p><p>Symmes Monument Third &amp; Sycamore Streets In 1826, Hamilton resident John Cleves Symmes developed his well-known though controversial theory that the earth was hollow. The Symmes Monument at Symmes Park honors the Hollow Earth Societys belief that the earth is made up of five concentric spheres and has openings at each pole wide enough for explorers to travel from one end to the other.</p><p>Train Station Martin Luther King Blvd. &amp; Sycamore Street Built in 1885, this structure is a brick Victorian 2-story building with Romanesque details. It has a high hip roof with large wall dormers exhibiting stone trim. Abraham Lincoln made a speech from a platform near this site on September 17, 1859.</p></li><li><p>10 11</p><p>20 214-216 South Third Street A rare example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, this 3-story building was erected around 1890. The faade is composed of 3 front and 6 side bays, twin gables, 2-story oriel windows, stone decorations, and a band of smooth stone that contains metal spandrels with panels and floral motifs. It was known as the Trevel Building and as the Third Street Department Store before housing Max Joffe Furniture Company for over a century.</p><p>21 Palace Theater 215 South Third Street Completed in 1919 as Hamiltons first theater to be built exclusively for showing movies, this opulently appointed silent movie theater was widely lauded as being unparalleled in cities many times the size of Hamilton. A newspaper said that the $100,000 facility was a replica of the famous Rivoli Theater in New York City. Designed by Fred S. Meyer, managing director of the theater, and Frederick G. Mueller, renowned Hamilton architect, this building is of Classical design with ornate columns and windows on the front faade. As was the rage in the 1960s, the theater was modernized and covered with an unfortunate front faade of textured plaster, rough sawn board, and batten wood framing. In 2003, the half-century-old Greater Hamilton Civic Theatre (GHCT) purchased the building and soon brought the original rather striking 1919 faade back to sunlight. The Palace Theatre is used for GHCT theatrical support needs.</p><p>22 CHACO Credit Union 100 South Third Street CHACO Credit Union was born in 1938, the product of a simple loan between workers at the Champio...</p></li></ul>

Recommended

View more >