Teaching systems and fundamentals
Embed Size (px)
Text of Teaching systems and fundamentals
- 1. Teaching Systems and Fundamentals Tech Span 2010 Marty Daniel [email_address]
2. Elementary Grades
- Knowledge of the parts of the computer
- Basic technology vocabulary
- Storing and retrieving files on computers or networks
- Troubleshooting basic computer problems
3. Middle School
- Basic parts of the computer, vocabulary and symbols of technology
- Create, store and retrieve data on the Internet, local area networks, and peripheral devices
- Recognize and distinguish among file types
- Select a data format or technology tool appropriate to the task or audience
- Basic troubleshooting for computer problems
4. 5. Labels
- Expansion cards (graphics cards, etc.)
- Secondary storage (Hard disk)
6. Basic Personal Computer System 7. Systems within Systems 8. Simple Network 9. 10. 11. Where is the server? 12. 13. Memory Sizes
14. 15. Organizing Windows Files
- Student Login My Documents
16. Organizing Windows Files
17. Organizing Windows Files
18. Organizing Windows Files
- Clean out your My Documents folder.
- Get rid of any shortcuts you no longer use.
- Develop an off site storage location such as Dropbox.
19. File Extensions
- Set your lab computers to show file extensions
20. Word Processing Files
21. Graphics Files
- gif, jpg, png, tiff, bmp, and psd
22. Spreadsheet Files
23. Trouble 24. 25. Procedure
- Define Problem Whats happening when problem occurs? Is it a computer system or software problem? Is it Internet related?
- Gather information- When did it occur? Did anything change? What error messages? What software & operating system?
- Narrow it down- Break things down until you can locate the problem and solve it.
26. Common Culprits
- Power train (from the computer to the wall)
- Connectivity Cable (Ethernet, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Software file compatibility
27. Common Solutions
- Power train (plug it in )
- Connectivity Cable (plug it in )
- Username/Password (Slow down)
- Frozen Screen (ctrl+alt+del)
- Software file compatibility (check file type)
28. Engagement Strategies 29. Ideas
- Metaphors Have students create their own metaphors and present to the class
- Diagrams Have students use drawing skills to create diagrams that illustrate concepts
- Collaborate Use a class wiki. Have students create a collaborative encyclopedia or FAQ with illustrations, definitions, diagrams, etc.