2. What is Augmented Reality? 3. Its really an old idea Think Terminator vision 4. Once thought to require silly hats Call this heads up augmented reality. 5. But, for now, this will do fine 6. Bringing down all the resources of the internet out of cyberspace and into ubiquitous reality Flickr: c@rljones Mobile phones are like the billion roofing nails that tie the cloud down to earth. 7. Just like ordinary reality Flickr: wvs 8. Only more so Flickr: wvs 9. Why is this important 10. Augmented reality finishes what the internet started 11. Internet 1.0(1995-1999) was all about the great disruptive promise of the cyberspace and online shopping Internet 2.0 (2005-2009) was the 10 years it took to really figure out what to do with it: USG, rich web apps, social media Augmented Reality (2008) is where mobile technology and wireless broadband make the internet finaly ubiquitous. And inescapable. 12. By this measure you could say there are many augmented reality apps already Theother day, my dad googled a small duck. This augmented his reality. Call this heads down AR 13. Broadly, what are the effects of Augmented Reality?
- Timely access to information
- Constant access to entertainment
- Marketers cant keep using the same old tricks
- In theory, anyone can easily know everything there is to know anything or anyone anywhere they are.
14. Design implications
- Assume connectivity is always on
- Except when there are glitches
- Except for caching, storing anything locally is dumb
- The cloud is the computer
15. Flickr: Jamais Cascio But back to terminator vision 16. Senkai Camera Cool app.Maybe this will be the apple newton ofpure AR 17. Kweekies 3D game projected into realspace through your phone screen 18. Terminator Vision + 19. + OrdinaryReality 20. = AugmentedReality 21. 22. Shopsavvy 23. Amazon declares war on retailers Shop savvy, Amazon mobile app etc: these are a Retailers worst nightmare 24. Idee Inc., image recognition search on an iPhone 25. 26. Social Augmented reality 27. Social Augmented Reality
- The knowledge of joining a crowd and knowing:
- Where do I know them from?
- Who should I get to know?
- Are there any naked pictures of them on the internet?
28. There will be many layers of reality Not everyone wants to live in the Youtube comment section of reality 29. Marketing gimmicks 30. Choose your context, choose your data sets 31. Good realities / Bad realities Who are we to judge? 32. Marshal McLuhan 33. 34. Mobile phone
- Enhances:Voice, conversation
- Retrieves:Spoken word, direct conversation
- Reverses:Video, picture, text messaging, Augmented reality
- Obsolesces:Public payphones, wrist watches, land lines, leaving notes, advance planning
35. Mobile + Augmented Reality
- Enhances:Awareness, tacit knowledge, wisdom
- Retrieves:Written word, gestures, lore, gossip
- Obsolesces:Desktop web, Newspapers, ipods, departments stores, guidebooks, paper maps, paperbacks, magazines, local storage, phone numbers, MSWindows
36. What is still holding us back? Mobile Processing power Some of these apps running50% by 2012 Fragmented mobile platforms Ultimately the browser may displace native apps M-commerce & monetization Were working on it 38. Near Future Tipping points
- iPhone 3.0 expected capabilities:
- Faster processor (the current one is unchanged from 2007)
- Where the iPhone goes the interactive design geeks follow
- More mobile brands launching android soon
- Waiting for the deluge of Chinese off-brand
- Future blackberries(go Canada)
- May bring corporate/enterprise killer apps
39. Who really becomes empowered? 40. Who also becomes empowered? 41. Who benefits from augmented reality? Brands Consumers State Control Opposition Police Criminals Developed world Developing world The center The edges ExtrovertsIntroverts The old The young E-government E-anarchy 42. As a designer, you can choose sidesIf you are a mobile designer, theres no shortage ofpaying work ahead 43. When augmented reality fails (PROTIP #71: Dont drop Augmented reality) 44. The more sophisticated a technology, the more fragile it can be
- Dont drop augmented reality
- I ran out of batteries so I cant buy a coffee
- I ran out of batteries and I cant find my way home
- I am meeting my blind date but she went indoors whereLBS doesnt work
- When a government rounds up opposition based on mobile records