1. Making Agile Technology Choices Friday, October 28, 2011 Daniel Doubrovkine | Art.sy @dblockdotorg / email@example.com
2. BUILDING SOFTWARE 3. WHAT IS _____ ?
What is the problem domain?
What is the software going to do?
What stories will it tell?
4. STACKS this stack works this stack worked 5. TYPICAL STACK: LAMP Linux Apache MySQL PHP Python Rackspace Zend Django AWS(S3, Cloudfront) Heroku Ruby Rails Backbone.js MongoDB 6. BAKEOFF big company, lots of people
Identify Candidates ASP.NET / RoR / J2EE / LAMP
Develop Metrics scalability, complexity, cost
Gather Data feature matrix, metrics data
Pick a Winner =MAX(SUM(A:Z))
7. CORROSION fortune 500 company, lots of politics
Intimidation or Escalation
8. AGILE OPTIONS alternative medicine 9. TRUSTWORTHY PEOPLE alternative medicine
It worked before
It didnt work before
It is interesting
______ uses it
10. DEVELOPER HAPPINESS alternative medicine
Developers are happy with ______
Their own choices
Cutting edge technology
11. PRAGMATIC alternative medicine
Try It Iterate Keep It Toss It
Easy to Learn
Quick to Leverage
12. ITERATE ON CHOICES was it a good choice? Good Technology Choices Help Developers Focus on the Problem Domain, -dB. 13. THE ONLY CONSTANT IS CHANGE iterate