Quotes slides used with music that was played as people were getting seated for the 21st Century Science Follow-up Session.
- 1. Science Quotes21 stCentury Skills Science Follow-Up
- Science is simplycommonsense at its best,rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.
- Thomas Henry Huxley, (1825-95) English Biologist.
3. There is something fascinating about science. --Mark Twain 4. In all science, error precedes the truth, and it is better it should go first than last.~Hugh Walpole 5. There is no adequate defense, except stupidity, against the impact of a new idea.-- Percy Williams Bridgman, U. S. Physicist, Nobel Prize, 1946 6. Good math teachers are like
- Hallmark cards:cares enoughto give the best.
- General Electric: has a lot togive.
- Tide:gets the stain out thatothers leave behind.
- VO-5 hair spray:holds through all kinds of weather.
- A good teacher is one-fourth preparation
- and three-fourths theater.
- -- Godwin, Gail(b. 1937) American writer
8. "Polar coordinates aren't just arctic fashions. " 9. "Do not worry too much about your difficulties in science,I can assure you that mine are still greater."-- Albert Einstein 10. Math Quotes "The essence of science is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple. 11.
- "Any teacher that can be replaced by a computer should be replaced by a computer.
- "The notion of infinity is our greatest friend;
- it is also the greatest enemy of our peace of mind."
- Good teachers are usually a little crazy.
- -- Rooney, Andy (b. 1919) American journalist
14. "We have to reinvent the wheel every once in a while,not because we need a lot of wheels;but because we need a lot of inventors." -- Bruce Joyce 15. Men love wonder, and that is the seed of science. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson 16. "Decimals have a point." 17. Math Quotes "An educated mind is, as it were, composed of all the minds of preceding ages."-- de Fontenelle 18. Black holes are where the creator divided by zero.-- Steven Wright 19. Science is common sense at its best. --Thomas Huxley 20. Good science teachers are like
- Cheerios:makes you feelgroovy.
- Frosted Flakes:makes youfeel gr-r-r-reat.
- Master Charge:is good for emergencies.
- "Imagination is more important than
- Observation always involves theory.
23. Great scientists are supreme artists." -- Martin H. Fisher 24. There is no adequate defense,except stupidity,against the impact of a new idea.-- Percy Williams Bridgman, U. S. Physicist, Nobel Prize, 1946 25. The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions. -- Claude Lvi-Strauss,Le Cru et le cuit , 1964 26. If it'sgreenor wriggles, it's biology. If it stinks, it'schemistry . If itdoesn't work , it's physics. ~Handy Guide to Science 27.
- "Well done is better than well said."
28. "Teaching is the royal road to learning." -- Jassamyn West 29. "We only think when confronted with aproblem.-- John Dewey 30. "I was x years old in the year x^2.-- Augustus De Morgan(when asked about his age) 31.
Michel de Montaigne 32. Nature composes some of her loveliest poems for the microscope & the telescope. -- Theodore Roszak, 1972 33.
- "The most important questions in life are,
- really only problems of probability."
- -- Pierre Simon de La Place
36. Science is not a spectator sport!"