TERRYS Timeline of Brand Milestones

  • Published on
    02-Oct-2014

  • View
    465

  • Download
    0

Embed Size (px)

Transcript

<p>Courtesy of Kraft Foods Archives</p> <p>Terrys confections1767 -- During the reign of King George III in England, Mr. Bayldon and Mr. Berry form a partnership to sell lozenges, candied peel and other simple confectionery in a little shop in the Bootham area of York. 1823 -- Joseph Terry, an apothecary, marries the sister-in-law of Mr. Berry and Joseph Terry joins the firm of Bayldon &amp; Berry. 1824 -- A factory and retail shop is built on St. Helens Square in York. Their main business was making and decorating wedding and christening cakes. The firm becomes so famous it is commissioned to decorate the christening cake of Edward VIII. The site soon includes a restaurant and caf. 1825 -- Mr. Bayldon leaves the business and the elder Mr. Berry dies. Joseph Terry and Mr. Berrys son become partners under the company name of Terry and Berry. 1828 -- The Terry and Berry partnership is dissolved and Joseph Terry takes over the business, now called Joseph Terry and Company. 1840 -- Three of Joseph Terrys five sons (Joseph junior, Robert and John) join the business and it is renamed Joseph Terry &amp; Sons. 1850 -- At the time of Joseph Terrys death his son Joseph junior is only 22 years of age and the company is managed for a few years by the executors and family attorney. 1854 -- Joseph junior, Robert and John Terry take over the business. 1862 -- Due to the expansion of the business, construction begins on a new factory at Clementhorpe in York. Its location on the Ouse River benefits from the twice-weekly steam ships which bring in sugar, glucose, orange and lemon rinds, plus coal for the steam driven plant. 1871 -- Robert Terry dies and his brother John (who had already left the business) dies three years later. Joseph Terry (junior) assumes sole control of the family business. The firm already has a reputation for quality and Joseph sets about to build on that. Between 1866 and 1899 Joseph Terry &amp; Sons pick up gold, silver and bronze medals at Industrial Exhibitions for their excellence of product. As well as national success the company starts to enjoy international fame. Product is exported to Australia and New Zealand. 1880 -- Josephs two sons Thomas and Samuel become partners in the business. 1886 -- An addition is built at the Clementhorpe factory to produce chocolate as that part of the confectionery business begins to grow. Prior to this time the products produced at the factory were primarily sugar confections. Chocolate to eat as opposed to chocolate to drink was still a comparative novelty. 1895 -- The company name is changed to Joseph Terry &amp; Sons Limited.</p> <p>Courtesy of Kraft Foods Archives</p> <p>1898 -- Sir Joseph Terry dies. Thomas Terry becomes Chairman of the board. 1903 -- Frank Terry (Sir Josephs son) joins the company. 1911 -- Noel Terry son of Thomas Terry joins the company. Frank and Noel become joint Managing Directors. 1923 -- Frank Terry becomes Chairman of the board, a key driver on the manufacturing side of the business. Noel Terry is heavily involved in the sales side of the business. Between the two of them they launch a myriad of delicious new chocolate products over the following decades. Many are packaged in beautiful fancy boxes with colorful graphics or covered with brocade or velour and ribbons. 1926 -- Demand for Terrys products grows and the Clementhorpe factory has reached its capacity. A beautiful new factory and offices opens at Bishopthorpe Road in York. Every modern device to produce the best chocolates is put into use in this Neo-Georgian style plant. -- Terry &amp; Sons introduces a unique chocolate treat called Terrys Dessert Chocolate Apple, 20 segments of chocolate flavored with apple. 1930 -- Terrys 1767 assortment appears in sales catalogs for the first time, available in one-pound and two-pound sizes. It becomes one of the companys most popular items. 1931 -- Terrys introduces its All Gold assortment available in half-pound, one-pound and two-pound sizes which also becomes one of its best sellers. It consists of 22 different centers including soft fruit, alcohol and hard caramels. 1932 -- Terrys Dessert Chocolate Orange is introduced. Both the Chocolate Orange and the Chocolate Apple are produced until World War II (1939) when the factory can no longer obtain ingredients from abroad. When production resumes after the war the orange version proves more popular and the Chocolate Apple is discontinued in 1954. 1937 -- Robin Terry son of Francis joins the company. -- Terrys chocolate factory is honored by a visit from their majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Princess Royal. The Royals are given elaborate commemorative caskets of chocolate. 1938 -- Special Easter Egg caskets are introduced. They are fancy egg-shaped boxes that hold Terrys most popular chocolate assortments. 1945 -- Peter Terry son of Noel Terry joins the company. 1950s -- Commodity rationing is finally lifted in the UK and Terrys resumes production of some of its most popular pre-war products, including Terrys Chocolate Orange, and the All Gold (resumes in 1948) and 1767 Assortments. The word Dessert disappears from the Terrys Chocolate Orange package. 1958 -- Francis Terry retires and Noel becomes Chairman.</p> <p>Courtesy of Kraft Foods Archives</p> <p>1963 -- The Terry family continues to run the company as a family concern until 1963 when Joseph Terry &amp; Sons Limited is acquired by Forte (Trust House Forte). 1970 -- Noel Terry retires as chairman after 59 years of service. 1976 -- Joseph Terry &amp; Sons Limited registers the Terrys Milk Chocolate Orange trademark in the US. (#1038254, 20 April 1976) Terrys All Gold trademark is also registered. (#100596, 21 September 1976) 1977 -- Colgate-Palmolive purchases the Terrys business from Forte. 1979 -- Terrys introduces the Chocolate lemon. It is discontinued three years later. 1982 -- United Biscuits plc purchases the Terrys business from Colgate-Palmolive. 1985 -- Peter Terry, great great grandson of the founder retires as company chairman. 1988 -- United Biscuits plc acquires UK confectioner Callard &amp; Bowser Group (which includes Smith Kendons Altoids mints) from Beatrice Foods in the US. United Biscuits combines Callard &amp; Bowser with Terrys to form the Terrys Group. 1993 -- Kraft General Foods International (KGFI) acquires Terrys Group (Terrys, Callard &amp; Bowser and Altoids) from United Biscuits. It is merged into Krafts Jacobs Suchard business. 1996 -- KGFI relaunches Terrys All Gold assortment in a new sleek, square all-gold box. 1997 -- Comedian Dawn French is featured in a new advertising campaign for Terrys Chocolate Orange, with the slogan Its not Terrys, its mine. Ms. French remains the brands advertising spokesperson until 2007. 1999 -- Terrys Chocolate Orange Mini Segments individually wrapped segments of the Chocolate Orange are introduced in the UK in September. 2000 -- Terrys Chocolate Raspberry (in Milk and Dark varieties) is introduced in the US. 2002 -- Terrys Chocolate Orange is now available in the US in pure Milk Chocolate and Peppermint varieties. Terrys Minis individually wrapped slices of Chocolate Orange are also introduced in the US. 2004 -- In April, Kraft announces its intention to close its confectionary plant and warehouse in York, UK by the end of 2005. The production of Terrys products transfers to facilities in Sweden, Belgium, Poland and Slovakia. 2007 -- Brits can now enjoy Terrys Chocolate Orange cookies. Kraft Foods Global Inc.</p>

Recommended

View more >