What economic activity may occur
• Fishing & tourism
• Southeast Asia has two kinds of countries
mainland & island.
• Indonesia & the Philippines are islands that
were once connected by land bridges (a strip
of land connecting two land masses).
• Glaciers that melted of 6,000 years ago caused
the sea level to rise and those land bridges are
now under water.
• Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and
• People in these countries rely on the regions
rivers for transportation, food, drinking water,
• They most live in small villages in the
mountains or near waterways.
• Generally has a tropical climate.
• Temperatures vary based on elevation and
distance from ocean.
• Receive rainfall from May to September, the
wet monsoon season.
• Typhoons often strike during the wet season.
• The rest of the year is the dry monsoon
Myanmar (Burma) Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Vietnam
Cambodia Laos Laos
Bangkok, Thailand Thailand Parallel Rivers
The Mekong River
• 2,600 miles long, runs through the middle of
mainland southeast Asia. Longest river
• The Mekong delta covers 25,000 miles and is
densely populated as a major rice-growing
Mekong Chao Phraya Irrawaddy
Dolphins can be seen in the
Irrawaddy River Parallel Rivers
Chao Phraya River
• Most important river in Thailand.
• Used to irrigate rice fields and as a major
• Also supports rice farming and use for
• Each year during the rainy season, it can rise
more than 30 feet. Port must have two different
docks to accommodate the varying river depth.
• Important for aquatic life like dolphins and
• Includes parts of Malaysia, Thailand, and
• Tin and Bauxite are mined in the mountains.
• 40% of the peninsulas land is covered with
• Rain forests are being cut down to make room
for large farms of rubber and palm oil trees.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Malaysian Landscape Island Countries
• Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Singapore, and
• On the Ring of Fire- where the Eurasian, Indian,
Philippine, and Australian tectonic plates come
• Many active volcanoes
• Experience frequent earthquakes and tsunamis.
• In 2004, an earthquake caused tsunami near
Sumatra killed at least 225,000 people.
• Made up of thousands of islands.
• Largest population in the region
• More volcanoes than any other country in the
Indonesia Jakarta, Indonesia
• Most people live on lowland plains.
• Soil made fertile by volcanic eruptions.
• Manila- the capital is extremely large.
• Outside of Manila, most people live in small
• Depend on fishing and rice farming.
Manila, Philippines Philippines
Philippines Review Questions
1. How does the climate of the two part of
Southeast Asia differ?
2. Why are the rivers so significant in this
3. What is the longest river in this region?
4. What is mined in the mountains on the
5. Rainforest are being cut down to plan farms
of what kind of trees?
6. What is the Ring of Fire?
7. Earthquakes can cause what other natural
disaster in this region?
8. What is the largest country in this region?