Embed Size (px)
Doug’s “find” at our annual show
Next Meeting: Monday, May 22, 7:30 p.m. Delwood Community Hall, 7515 Delwood Rd.
Program: Items starting with “O”.
DIG & PICK
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Volume 42 Issue # 9 May 2017 This is the official publication of the Wild Rose Antique Collectors. All articles appearing in this publication express the individual opinions of the writers and are not necessarily those of the W.R.A.C. or the Editor. Articles contained in the bulletin may be reproduced by other clubs, except where prohibited by the author, provided proper credit is given. CLUB OFFICIALS FOR 2016/17 Phone Email address President Bruce Gilbertson 780-914-7955 Vice President Clinton Beck 780-474-7447 [email protected] Secretary Position vacant (Marjorie Berg, Acting Secretary) Treasurer Tom Fritz 780-454-7480 Membership John Horrigan 587-597-6277 [email protected] DIRECTORS Editor Marjorie Berg 780-432-2244 [email protected] Social/Prog. Kim Stade 780-479-1234 [email protected] 2017 SPRING SHOW Show Chairman Bernie Haber 780-479-1234 [email protected]
If you know of a club member who is ill or who has suffered a bereavement in their immediate family, please contact Susanne Balslov-Kulak 780-987-2851 and she will send out a card expressing the Club's best wishes or sympathy. The Club Address is: Wild Rose Antique Collectors, PO Box 38150, RPO Capilano, Edmonton, AB, T5J 2N5 Phone Number (780) 437-9722 www.wildroseantiquecollectors.ca
The Club meets the 4th Monday of each month (except July and December) at 7:30 P.M. at the Delwood Community Hall, 7517 Delwood Rd NW, Edmonton, Alberta. VISITORS WELCOME! Membership per year: $30.00 - Entitles 2 family members in the same household to all privileges of the Society (September 1 - August 31). Each member is entitled to one free classified ad per month. Non-members may place a classified ad of up to 30 words for $3.00 per issue. Business advertisement $40/month or $100/three months. Library books are due at the next meeting after they are checked out, after which the borrower's name may appear in the Dig & Pick. Fines will be assessed for overdue books. If you have any questions pertaining to our Library call: Gillian Budd 436-4436, Nancy Ross 479-7706, or Marvin Berger 436-4436. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions pertaining to advertising for the Spring show, call our resident expert Bill Borgwardt at (780) 973-6655.
Wild Rose Antique Collectors Society
General Meeting April 23, 2017
President, Bruce Gilbertson called the meeting to order at 7:30 pm. All members present had received the Dig & Pick. Betty Burak moved the adoption of the March 27, 2016 General Meeting minutes; seconded by Gene Sabo. Motion carried.
Correspondence: Vernon Collectors Club meeting minutes from March 27, 2017.
Old Business: 2017 Show: Bernie Haber reported that the total attendance was 3,591, up by 590 from last year. He thanked everyone who volunteered.
2018 Show: Bernie reported that we can have Hall E March 30 & 31 (Easter) or April 22 & 23. He had 58 responses to the query sent to 80 of the 2017 vendors. The April 22, 23 date was favored by 36 of those vendors. Bernie also reported that Antiques by Design has a show booked in Calgary for that same weekend.
Motion: by Bernie Haber, that we sign a contract with Northlands for April 22 & 23, 2018. Seconded by Alan Thain. Carried.
Treasurer: Tom Fritz is on holidays. Bruce reported that bills from the show are still coming in, so we don’t have totals.
Membership: John Horrigan reported that he has sent out an addendum to the membership list. We have 189 members (134 applications).
Social Program: Kim Stade reported that Show & Tell at the May meeting will be “O” items. She also suggested that we start thinking about a site for our August meeting/barbeque and suggested Lori Haig’s home in Abee.
James Hogan thanked the club, on behalf of himself and his mother, for the sympathy card re the death of their father/husband. A handout announcing a Rummage Sale at Parkdale Cromdale Community Centre for Saturday, April 29 was available.
Attendance tonight: 48 Guests: 0 Door prizes: $25 Gift Certificate from the Old Strathcona Antique Mall won by Emily Seutter. Fire King Davy Crockett bowl won by Karen Herd. Raffle prize: Roseville Bowl won by Cristina Lesnik.
Moved by Kim Stade; seconded by Gord Soch, that the business portion of the meeting be adjourned at 7:50 P.M. Carried.
Program: Members showed collectibles that they found at our annual show and 13 reference books were sold via Silent Auction.
Bruce Gilbertson Marjorie Berg President Acting Secretary
Library Book Silent Auction at the May Meeting
Antique & Vintage Fashions 1745-1979
Comic Character Wristwatches Trench Art
Noritake Jewel of the Orient Transformers
Nativity Creches of the world Royal Doulton
For my fellow pie-bird collectors: I came across this photo taken at the 2010 Portland Show. The vendor, Vonnie Green of Bend, Oregon said she had a collection of 500 pie-birds. The one with the pink breast was priced $2,000!
Collectors Capturing Canada’s History
Given that this is the year of Canada’s 150th anniversary, we understand how important Canada’s history and heritage is to the country going forward. As well, knowing how important collectors are to the cultivation of this history means that collectors that have a lifetime worth of experience are the key to unlocking the mysteries and nuances of Canada’s past.
Because of how important collectors are, John Horrigan and Evan Woman have organized an oral history project to interview experienced collectors about their areas of experience, and to build a record of the contributions they have made and the knowledge they have. This project will be ongoing throughout the summer of 2017, and could be considered “a collection of collectors” to show to the public how important this group is.
Participating in the project will be easy and accomodations can be made. If you have any questions about this project or would like to become involved, please contact John. (587-597-6277) Otherwise, we have received the Executive’s permission to contact members (once) using the Membership Directory. John will be contacting members in June. Submitted by John Horrigan
“Look What I Found at The Show”
Wardair (1946-1989) tote, dishes, spoons & keychain. Pie birds & Pointsettia Dairy 1 cup cream bottle.
1916 Norwood Mason’s medal presented to Master Mason George Christensen in Edmonton 1952.
Stock certificate, Eureka Coal Co. Ltd, Taber, Alberta (1910 – 1914); 600 shares purchased by Robert G. Duggan, 8th day of June 1911.
1:43 scale British Morris vans, 1950s & 60s
1940s Classic comics: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Don Quixote, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Famous Mysteries.
Bakelite & novelty buttons + card of Glamour Girls buttons.
Program from the 1st Oiler’s game at Roger Place.
Winnipeg Jets 1977/78 Avco Cup Champions button
Mesh purses. The one on the left is hallmarked (1841-1921) and is made of 8 ounces of sterling silver.
Reliable (Canada) doll from the 1950s.
Calgary Union Milk Co. Ltd. chocolate milk bottle
Pennzoil motor oil tin
Saskatchewan Co-operative Creamery ice cream carton
Mother of Pearl buttons
carbon glass purse
Milk bottle top from King George VI Coronation, 1937; Calgary Co-op Dairy (1931-1953) fountain pen; lead pencil from Carstairs, Alberta Creamery, 1925.
David attended a Gulf Oil show in 1981, where he got & has used the keychain on the right. He found an unused one (on the left) at the show!
Engraved hardhat; Canadian flag & Yemen? flag under name “Dave”.
Plate, marked “Post Office Edmonton, Alta, Canada”.
China owl, part of a set of instrument-playing animals
Vaporizer lamp 1890s
Folding sterling silver knife & fork. Bryce found a single fork
An “N” collectible:
RCA Victor Nipper chalk-ware statue 1930s or 40s
Drill bit pendant
An “M” item: Advertiser matchbox holder, Tubular Cream Separator, Toronto, Canada
In Honour of Mother’s Day
Madge’s Sewing Machine
By Pat Bibaud (Jack Hozack’s sister) Submitted by Joan Stade
Madge (Margaret Brown Shields) was twenty-one years of age when she emigrated from Belfast, N. Ireland to Toronto, Ontario. She was Jim’s great-grandmother. The T. Eaton Company had paid for her ticket and she had agreed to work in their garment factory and repay the cost. She worked as a seamstress and her wages paid for her living expenses with a small payment to go to pay her debt. Madge earned extra money by working as a model in the retail store after hours. This extra money was divided with half going to pay off her ticket more quickly and the other half was hoarded to buy the coveted sewing machine. This was between 1912 and 1914.
At last it was hers! She could make her own clothes. She could sew for friends. She sang as the sewing machine hummed.
Madge had met a tall Irishman called Albert Hozack and on February 17th of 1915 they were married. The sewing machine worked overtime as Madge made drapes, cushion covers and table cloths for their new apartment. The war was on and Bert soon enlisted. He was certain that it would be over before he would be sent to England. Wrong! By July he was already in England. Madge would not be left behind. She would return to Ireland, stay with her mother and at least be close if he needed her. The Sewing Machine was packed off to storage with the rest of the furniture, where it stayed for the next four years.
The war ended and Madge returned with Pat to Toronto in February of 1919. Bert had already bought a farm close to Kitscoty, Alberta. Madge was to follow him, but she was stalling. She could not believe that he expected her to live on a farm in Western Canada. In August, she at last, had the sewing machine and the rest of the furniture carefully crated and shipped to Alberta. Madge and Pat followed in October.
They arrived in Kitscoty on Halloween in the middle of a blinding blizzard. The nine-mile sleigh ride was a new experience for Madge and the shock of learning that the furniture had not arrived almost sent her back to Toronto. Her precious sewing machine had gone to Vancouver. It would not arrive until mid-December. Finally, it was there. It was unpacked and placed in front of the double windows in the dining room. In this location it was at the centre of all activity. It served as a plant stand. The children played games on it and yes, Madge sewed curtains and cushion covers and mended worn farm shirts.
The 1930s brought the Great Depression and the machine and Madge clothed five children, mended irreparable farm overalls, horse blankets and binder canvases. Flour sacks were their chief source of new material. They were transformed into kitchen curtains, dresses, shirts, table cloths, underwear, and tea towels. Embroidery had to be done by hand. The sewing machine had done its bit.
Madge was resourceful. Her makeovers were legendary. She would take a discarded garment, rip it apart, salvage the unworn portions, wash and press them, ready to be cut to fit a smaller body. The machine never failed her. It would sew over thick woolen seams or stitch the finest silk. They were a team.
Madge and the machine sewed layettes for the needy, aprons and dresser scarves, table cloths and pot holders to be sold by the Ladies Aide Society. Evening gowns were constructed for Graduations with the latest in fashion copied from Eaton’s catalogue. In the 1940s Pat’s daughter, Karen, had at least 15 dresses, all made by the machine and Madge.
The drive belt had stretched and the shuttle had worn and all had been replaced. Now, in the year 2009 it has been sitting in Pat’s basement for the last 30 odd years. It is dusty and neglected. The new parts are in the drawer. It has been replaced by an electric portable, but is not forgotten. It is still cherished by those who knew her. Jim and Maryann want her, and so she goes with her history. Just so they respect what has been.
Please place a plant on the old machine. Just for old-times-sake. She always had one when she and Madge were partners.
With Love Grandma Pat
P.S. How could I forget the patchwork quilts: small pieces cut by loving hands to be pieced together into intricate patterns. The seams were narrow, the corners sharp and the machine never
puckered or missed a stitch. This was the last hurrah for worn-out garments. Their “good” parts were used to make the quilt blocks. Then came the quilting - all done by machine; a worn flannelette sheet provided the filler and a brand-new piece of cloth was the backing. The machine sewed blocks together; then quilted the layers together. The entire quilt was then bound by a colorful binding cut by hand from a new piece of material. Grandma
Sewing machine display by James Hogan at the 2010 Spring Show Originally published in the April 2010 Dig & Pick
A Dream Comes True for Golfers
It is not an easy task from a dream to reality. But back in the late 1800’s, people wanted a golf course in Edmonton. In 1896 the Edmonton Country Club opened a five-hole course on April 4 on the legislative grounds. When the Hudson Bay Company sold the land to the Alberta government in 1907, they moved the golf course to the location where the
present Victoria Golf Club is today. They were there until 1912 when they moved again to their present location on 170 Street at the top of the river valley. The Mayfield and Prince Rupert golf courses were the second and third courses developed in the city. Today we have eighty-seven golf courses within an hour of Edmonton. In 1928 Edmonton had a population of 75,000 and a good number of those people enjoyed the game of golf. A group of golfers in the east part of the city wanted a course in their area. A group of people from the Highlands area approached the city and inquired about purchasing some land in the river valley for a course. The city wanted $2000.00 for a piece of land but people could not raise the funds to buy it. They went back to the city and inquired about leasing the land. Arrangements were made and the first lease was for twenty-one years with a twenty-year option to renew. Under the terms of the lease the club was required to spend $20,000.00 to construct the course and to build a clubhouse. On May 8th, 1929 Mayor Ambrose Bury and members of the Highlands Golf Club turned the first sod in the construction of the course. The club sold one hundred shares at $100.00 each. It was built over and around the Premier coalmine. After some 40 years of operation a major fire and then the flooding of the shafts from the water of the North Saskatchewan River forced the mine to close in 1932. Some effects of the mining operation are still evident today with the possibility of shaft cave-ins and changing undulations on some of the fairways and greens. The mine manager’s home still stands on Ada Blvd., just west of Concordia College. The first nine holes were completed in the fall of 1929 at a cost of $6,700.00. Horse-drawn plows were used to work the land, two-man saws cut down trees and local laborers were used to help with the construction. On May 10th, 1930 local dignitaries and government officers played the first nine holes. A biplane piloted by Vic Horner tried to drop golf balls onto the first green before the local amateurs went on the course. Harvey Day Jr. posted the low score of the day with an 88, while Jack Starkey fired a 90. A small shed was the first pro shop and tea was served in a tent or outside on a nice day. Shares were $100.00 and the green fees for the first year were $35.00 per couple. The first pro appointed was Harry Shaw. Juniors were allowed to play free provided they spent an hour digging out dandelions on the course. The grass on the course was maintained by horse-drawn mowers and local labor workers. The total greens budget was for $6,696.00 that first year. Each hole on the course had a name, such as Westward Ho, The Toboggan, Shorty or Hame. When the roadway of Jasper Ave went down 82 St., the course layout had to be changed. It ran down along the river valley past Rat Creek and then started back up behind the 12th green and came out at 68 St. and Ada Boulevard. It made a significant change to a couple of the holes when it cut through one of the fairways. This road was used until 1945 when the unstable banks made it too costly to maintain. The course had to rely on Mother Nature for its water supply. This made the course very rough and hard to play on. With horses being used to mow the grass and greens there were imprints left for the golfers to play around. Back in those times, the golf clubs were made from hickory
stock. Scores were higher back then but I think the golfers enjoyed the game as much then as they do today
. The east nine holes were started in the summer of 1930. They were completed in late fall and were opened for golf in the spring of 1931. A single story unheated clubhouse was in place that had locker rooms, a small kitchen and eating area. In 1938 the second floor was added and the clubhouse refurbished at a cost of $5,000.00. The ladies of the club held bridge parties and teas to raised money for things like curtains, kitchen equipment and china for the dining room.
Highlands Golf Course in 1938 In the mid 30’s the four Martell brothers left the Prince Rupert and Victoria golf courses and joined the Highlands. 1937 saw the birth of Betty Stanhope. A new era began for the Highlands as both Betty Stanhope and Henry Martell went on to significant recognition in the Highlands, the communities and to the city with their many golfing achievements. Today there is a park across from the golf course that was dedicated in 2004 and is named after Henry Martell. In the park today there is a plaque that lists his many golfing achievements. In 1946 he was the Canadian amateur champion and he won the Alberta amateur nine times between 1936 and 1947. In 1939 the city owned the Magrath House and it was offered to the golf club as a clubhouse for the sum of $1.00. The local board of the course felt too many changes would have to be made to home to make it a feasible clubhouse so they turned down the offer. In 1942 the U.S. Army arrived in Edmonton to start building the Alaska Highway. American officers enjoyed many rounds of golf at the Highlands. At one time the Army engineers offered to build an escalator from the upper parking lot to the clubhouse. The offer was never put in place and to this day one must walk down the long stairway to the clubhouse. Alex Olynk was the club’s pro in the 40’s and Henry Martell became the golf pro in 1948. One of the big events at the Highlands that summer was an exhibition match by Henry Martell, Stan Leonard (Canadian top pro) Dave Dixon and the world renowned South African, Bobby Locke. During this exhibition Locke set a course record of 65, his first time on the course. Martell retired in 1978 after being pro there for thirty years. His golfing skills brought a lot of prestige to the club, community and to the city. Also in 1948, a local resident, Ed New, installed the first pump and pipe system to bring water to the course from the river. This was very significant in that the greens and fairway could be watered as needed. During the 40’s and 50’s as the surrounding communities grew, so did the memberships at the golf course. Many changes were made over the years to improve the links. Some of the construction projects had their hazards. The city lost a bulldozer just east of the main clubhouse. It disappeared down an old mine shaft. Other openings have occurred on various fairways over the years and each year the fairway undulations on Hole 13 change significantly. In 1963 power golf carts were being used for the first time. In the mid-sixties, the golf club reversed the 9’s and the course was under reconstruction again due to the development of the new Capilano bridge and freeway system. A tunnel was built under the freeway during the construction
so the members could go through the tunnel to the 16th hole rather than back track under the bridge near the river. The freeway opened on Nov. 3rd, 1969
In 1970 the last major renovations were done to the old clubhouse at a cost of $63,000.00. During the seventies the lease on the course was extended with the city until the late 1980’s. In the early 1980’s, the Capital City Park was created and its paved bike paths and river valley walking paths brought more people into the area. In 1986 the North Saskatchewan River flooded and the #8 fairway was flooded. There was some extensive damage to the fairway and the tee box that had to be rebuilt after the water receded. The underground sprinkler system was installed in the mid 80’s and provided controlled watering at night so members didn’t have to try to time their shots as the sprinklers attached to long hoses sprayed the fairways. In the late 80’s under mayor, Lawrence Decore, the city did not want to extend the lease. After several heated meetings the lease was extended and long-range plans were put into action. Upgrading the irrigation system with settling ponds to replace the river lagoon was done. The members of the club gave final approval for a new clubhouse. On September 11, 1995 the old clubhouse came down in less than one day. Construction of the new building was started right away and worked on during the winter months to have it done by July of 1996. A number of course changes were made in 2002 to make the golf course much better and challenging for the golfers. In 2004 the parking lot was finally paved after 75 years of dust blowing off the gravel lot.
Today the Highlands Golf Course is one of the best locations in Western Canada to play a golf game on. With the new clubhouse, it gives us one of the best views of the river valley and a great location to have a great dining experience for business meetings, social events or private functions. Today the club has over 760 golfers with 110 juniors participating in the club activities.
Highlands Golf Course Club House Today
My thanks to A.E. (Ted) Smith and the Highlands Historical Society for letting me use their stories and information to put this article together. John Wm. Duke Originally published in the February 2011 Dig & Pick
A much better photo of Bessie Hogan’s Tins: Categories and Uses display at our annual show. Thanks, James!
For Sale Wall unit 24 inches by 16 inches divided into various sizes of spaces, holding 60 Red Rose Wade figurines. Figurines include nursery rhymes, fairy tales, animals, birds, reptiles etc. To be sold only as a complete set. Call Margaret Hall 780-672-4725 Wanted Photos of the Lakeview Dance Hall located at South Cooking Lake. Mike Boyd is doing some historical research for the County of Strathcona Museum. He has discovered a good history of the hall, but hasn’t been able to locate any pictures of the place or the people who patronized it. Contact Mike at 780-467-4216 Ceramics made by Luke Lindoe or Ceramic Arts – Calgary Call Bill Bouthillier 403-275-0089 or email: [email protected] The book, Four and Twenty Black Birds, a reference book on pie birds. Contact Marjorie Berg 780-432-2244 or at [email protected]
Calendar of Events
May 13, 14 28th Annual Red Deer Mother’s Day Antique, Furniture, Collectibles Show Westerner Exposition Grounds, Red Deer, AB Sat: 10am-5pm Sun: 10am-4pm Info: [email protected] Rae 403-343-1614 cell:403-392-8757
May 22 Parking Lot Sale Old Strathcona Antique Mall Edmonton, AB
May 27, 28 10th Annual Calgary Antique & Furniture Collectibles Show & Sale, Garrison Wood’s Curling Rink 2288 – 47 Ave, Calgary, AB Sat: 10am-5pm Sun: 10am-4pm Carswell’s promotions
May 27 Coins, Stamps & Collectibles Show, Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre, 6688 South Oakes Cres, Burnaby BC 9am-3pm L. Balmer 604-299-3673
May 28 Vancouver Postcard Club PAPER COLLECTIBLES SHOW & SALE Hasting Community Centre, 3096 East Hastings St. Vancouver BC 10am-4pm
Jun 6 – 9 Las Vegas Antique Jewelry & Watch Show Las Vegas Convention Center Info: 239-732-6642
Jun 10 Cloverdale Antique & Collectibles Show, Cloverdale Fairgrounds: Show Barn bldg. Cloverdale, BC 9am-3pm
Jun 11 Retro Design & Antiques Fair Croatian Cultural Centre, Vancouver, BC 10am-3pm Early birds 7am-10am $20
Aug 15 - 22 Antiques & Collectibles Show, Grande Prairie 780-228-2723
Aug 18 - 19 The Valley Antique & Collectibles Sale, Cowichan Exhibition Grounds, 7380 Trans Canada Hwy. Chemainus, BC Fri:5pm-9pm, Sat:10am-3pm
Aug 19 - 20 Antiquing at the Arc Acadia Recreation Complex, 240 – 90th Ave SE Calgary Sat: 9am-5pm Sun: 10am-4pm www.antiquesbydesignshows.com 604-316-1933
Aug 25-26 9th Annual Antiques & Collectibles Sale Enderby Drill Hall, Hwy 97A , Enderby, BC Fri: 9am-5pm Sat: 9am-4pm
Sep 2 – 3 Kerrisdale Antiques Fair Kerrisdale Arena 5670 East Boulevard, Vancouver, BC 21st Century Promotions 604-980-3159
The WILD ROSE ANTIQUE COLLECTORS SOCIETY respects the privacy of its members. Information collected is for the sole use of the WRAC Society and its operation. All information is kept confidential and is not sold or transmitted in any form to any outside party. Requests for information and its use should be directed in writing to the WRAC Society and its privacy office.
Dig & Pick May 2017 pp 1-3May 2017
Show & Tell Apr 24Madge's Sewing MachineHighlands golf courseMy thanks to A.E. (Ted) Smith and the Highlands Historical Society for letting me use their stories and information to put this article together.
The Classifieds May 2017Calendar of Events May 2017