1. Focusing on Google Plug-ins & Extensions ForESOL Students Beth Csiszer, M. ED. Cu & I LancasterSchool District firstname.lastname@example.org
2. What is a Google Extension Google Plug-ins (extensions) help the browser process content in a certain way https://sites.google.com/site/chromebookclassroominthecloud/chromebook-training/extensions-and-web-ap For Google Plug-ins, you must be using Google Chrome for them to work Some plug-ins begin the installation process by downloading a set-up file to your computer. Confirm the download, then restart Google Chrome More information about Google Chrome Extensions http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/05/15-great-chrome-extensio
3. What is a Google Extension The download is free. You can Google Google Chrome for the latest version http://www.downloadzone.org/lp/google-chrome/1032/?_u=u4p9skmisl8afsn2i49l1t1fp75mpp08525ud850aumg When you download Google extensions, they will appear on your toolbar
4. Google to the Google Web Store How to go to the Google Web Store https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/app/8-education?hl=en
5. How to Install a Plug-In/Extension https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142064?hl=en
6. How to Enable/Disable Extensions Google Chrome extensions will install automatically They can be disabled and enabled for various purposes
7. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students Announcify- Allows any website to be read to the viewer. A real advantage of this is that students can read an article and have it read to them which is nice to check that their annunciation is correct. Select and Speak-Works much like Announcify, but instead of having the entire article read, the viewer can select sentences or paragraphs with which they are having difficulty to have read aloud. It can also be used to select short passages for students to have read to them.
8. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read) Free plugin A plugin that summarizes any web article without leaving the webpage Can be shortened to 25%, 50%, and 75% of original article Can summarize articles into English, Spanish, German and French Can help student find more articles about the same subject View preview here: http://youtu.be/_hZWjtnIIBk
9. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students Read & Write for Google http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=read+and+write+for+google+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail Hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting See the meaning of words explained with text and picture dictionaries Hear text translated into other languages Get suggestions for the current or next word as you type Turn words into text as you speak Highlight text in documents or the web and collect for use in other documents Simplify and summarize text on web pages
10. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students Lingualy http://lingua.ly/ Google Chrome extension designed to help you learn a new language while browsing the web. With Lingualy installed anytime that you come across a new word you can double-click on it to hear it pronounced, read a translation, and read a definition The words that you double-click on are added to your Lingualy account where you can review them in a quiz format.
11. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students Google Dictionary This is a must have for any student, not just ESL learners. After installing this plug in, simply select the word that you want to have defined With the click of a button, students are told the part of speech and have access to many of reference materials to help them understand the word
12. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students GoAnimate for Schools This is a great animated-video creation tool. Students can create their own videos with drag-and-drop, then add your music and backgrounds and engage your students! Would be great to use as an alternate assessment tool https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/goanimate-for-schools/hgjpaebfogajhndljeplcmjicfjcd Demo: https://goanimate4schools.com/public_index
13. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/english-irregular-verbs- 2/ocmemdngcmpkekknchlhnbibgb Designed to help students Learn English irregular verbs with joy. It is focused on intermediate students of English. It contains about 120 English irregular verbs. All irregular verbs include pronunciation. It contains: * Practicing * List of 120 English irregular verbs * Pronunciation The principle of game is the same as in English irregular verbs English irregular verbs 2
14. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students Kaizena (Voice Comments) Kaizena (formerly Voice Comments) is the fastest way to give high quality voice feedback on a document. Simply highlight and speak! http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2013/10/add-voice-comments-to-google- documents.html#.VFmLQ8kvSds
15. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students There is a suite of Apps available in the Google Web Store you can download from for Common Core You can access all Common Core Standards and Apps to assist in learning. Great for parents, teachers & students! Apps For Common Core
16. Some of the Best Google Plug-Ins and Extensions for ESOL Students Simple and efficient approach to memorizing texts and examination Locolearning is a free tool for creating educational tests from text materials like textbook chapter or anything else. Check example and tutorial on the main page.
17. GOOGLE DRIVE How to use Google Drive In Education
18. What is Google Drive Google Drive is a way to store and share files Google Docs is part of Google Drive http://youtu.be/6_hJ3R8jEZM There is unlimited storage for documents You can comment and edit the same document in real time Is compatible with MS Office Students have unlimited storage on the cloud
19. What is Google Drive It is useful for sharing lesson plans and collaborating with other teachers It can be used for group projects and presentations It can be used to share lessons with students to access at home
20. Google Drive Add-ons http://www.coolcatteacher.com/best-google-drive-add-ons/ Google Drive has add ons that can be useful for educators and students EasyBib You can insert citations directly into Google Documents directly within the Document using EasyBib. MLA, APA and Chicago Style are available. The EasyBib Add On for Google Drive is one of the first you should enable if you are a writing teacher.
21. Google Drive Add-ons Mindmeister lets you take bulleted lists and convert it into a mindmap for a graphical depiction. Can be a fascinating way to convert a table of contents or outline for a paper into something easier to read. Mindmeister Google Drive add-on gives a powerful punch to organizing your writing.
22. Google Drive Add-ons Texthelp Study Skills Highlighting Tools Has many features that can assist ELL and Special Needs students Highlighting and Text Speech built in