GOTCHA BY THE BOOKS
Catalogue No 1, Summer 2013-14
Fine Australian Art Books
Gotcha By The Books was founded in 2001, and proprietor Sean Phillips has been selling books in Brisbane since 1985. This is our first catalogue.
Payment methods: Visa, Mastercard, EFT, Cheque, or Paypal
Gotcha By The Books 15 Moss Road
Camira Qld 4300 Australia
0408 725 404 (07) 3288 4352
1. Littoral Springer, Elizabeth; Robertson, Margaret; Adams, Tate; McBurnie, Ron; Silver, Anneke; Smith, Bronwyn; Kinlyside, Sheree; Langtree, Christine (ed) Townsville, Lyre Bird Press, 2000 Signed limited edition. Paperback, tall 12mo, b&w linocuts, unpaginated. Very Good. No. 18 of an edition of 200 copies, designed by Tate Adams and Ron McBurnie at Lyre Bird Press, Townsville; being 5 poems by Elizabeth Springer, accompanied by lino Cuts by Margaret Robertson, Tate Adams, Ron McBurnie, Anneke Silver, Bronwyn Smith, and Sheree Kinlyside; signed to reverse of half-title page by the poet and all the artists; very occasional light foxing, covers very lightly rubbed, o.w. Very Good. $110.00
2. What is a Portrait the images of Vicki Myers Allen, Davida Sydney New Endeavour Press 1991 Signed 1st edition. Colour plates, hardbound, landscape 8vo, no dustwrapper. Unpaginated. Being the visual companion to Davida Allen's novel 'The Autobiography of Vicki Myers: Close to the Bone'; here we see Vicki's picture-book, depicting her ongoing development as a woman and an artist; numerous colour plates with Vicki's comments on facing page; flat-signed by Davida Allen to title page; it appears this is a signed copy of the first paperback, bound into black buckram boards with no titling; very occasional light foxing, minor spotting to boards, o.w. Very Good.
3. Davida Allen survey exhibition 24th October - 5th December 1987 Hughes, Annette Brisbane Museum of Contemporary Art 1987 1st Edition. Profusely illustrated, paperback, 4to, 74pp. Very Good. Exhibition catalogue for the major Davida Allen survey at Brisbane's Museum of Contemporary Art in 1987; the exhibition documented the development of Allen's work from her very first show, and up to work not yet shown at the time; catalogue essay by Atherton Nye, edited by Annette Hughes; includes b&w photos from the artist's life, plus dozens of colour plates of her paintings; Very Good and clean throughout, covers lightly rubbed, with one or two minor scuff marks.
$45.00 RICK AMOR
4. The Solitary Watcher Rick Amor and his Art Catalano, Gary Melbourne Miegunyah Press/Melbourne University Press 2001 1st Edition. Hardbound, 4to, profusely illustrated, dustwrapper, 199pp. Very Good in Very Good dustwrapper. Full-length study of the work of Rick Amor, limited to 1500 copies; 32 colour plates, numerous b&w illustrations; being number thirty-eight in the second numbered series of the Miegunyah Volumes.
5. Spray the Work of Howard Arkley updated and revised edition Crawford, Ashley; Edgar, Ray Sydney Craftsman House 2001 Hardbound, 4to, profusely illustrated, dustwrapper, 152pp. Very Good in Very Good dustwrapper. Updated and revised edition of this definitive study of the work of Howard Arkley, first published in 1997, here revised after the artist's death in 1999; colour and b&w illustrations throughout, illustrated endpapers; includes an Arkley Curriculum Vitae, including solo exhibitions, select group exhibitions, awards, select biliography, internet, and filmography.
6. Howard Arkley The Home Show Australian Pavilion 48th Venice Biennale of Art 1999 Hannaford, John (ed) Australia Council 1999 1st Edition. Paperback, 4to, profusely illustrated, 44pp. Very Good. Catalogue for the exhibition of Howard Arkley's work, representing Australia at the Venice Biennale 1999; text is bi-lingual (English/Italian); contributions by Ron Radford, Marco Livingstone, Tim Morrell; colour plates throughout; minor scuff marks to wraps, o.w. Very Good clean copy.
7. Carnival in Suburbia the Art of Howard Arkley Gregory, John Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 2006 1st Edition. Hardbound, 4to, dustwrapper, profusely illustrated, 214pp. Very Good in Very Good dustwrapper. Study of the work of Howard Arkley, by John Gregory, art historian and brother-in-law of the artist; focusses on Arkley's vision of Australian suburbia, containing all of Arkley's major paintings and drawings, and with images from Arkley's notebooks and photographs; illustrated laminated boards, illustrated endpapers, colour and b&w illustrations throughout; original clear acrylic dustwrapper with yellow title band
8. George Baldessin Sculpture and Etchings a memorial exhibition Baldessin, George; Lindsay, Robert; Holloway, Memory Jockisch; Ryan, Judith(ed) Melbourne National Gallery of Victoria 1983 1st Edition. Paperback, profusely illustrated, 4to, 152pp. Very Good. Scarce catalogue for the George Baldessin memorial exhibition, NGV 1983; preface by Patrick McCaughey, texts by Robert Lindsay and Memory Jockisch Holloway, edited by Judith Ryan; includes detailed biographical notes with b&w photo illustrations from Baldessin's life, and 132 b&w images of Baldessin's etchings and sculpture; nice reflective silver wraps with Baldessin etching to front; covers lightly rubbed, Very Good and clean throughout.
9. George Baldessin Six Etchings with text by Jenny Zimmer Zimmer, Jenny Townsville, Lyre Bird Press, 2000. Numbered limited edition. Arche rag paper in clamshell box, folio (460 x 370mm), one colour and 5 b&w etchings, 24pp. Very Good and clean in Very Good clamshell box. Very scarce Lyre Bird Press publication, being No. 9 of only 25 copies (plus 6 hors commerce); 6 George Baldessin etchings including one double page in colour, printed from the artist's original plates, on arches velin cuve and BFK rives paper; text by Jenny Zimmer; a beautiful book, being in the form of 6 unbound folios enclosed in a white paper cover with artist's name and pear motif to front, all in a handsome black clamshell box with silkscreen figure on cover, handmade by master binder Fred Pohlmann; Very Good and clean throughout, with occasional very light foxing and occasional light offset from plates; clamshell box lightly rubbed, with one or two minor scratches, and with wear at corners.
10. Richard Bell UZ VS. Them Reilly, Maura; Mundine, Djon New York/London, American Federation of Arts in association with D Giles Limited London, 2011 Signed 1st edition. Hardbound, landscape 8vo, dustwrapper, profusely illustrated, 80pp. Very good tight and clean in Very Good dustwrapper. Catalogue for the travelling exhibition of works by Richard Bell, organized by the American Federation of Arts New York; over 40 colour illustrations; includes an interview with the artist by Maura Reilly, a manifesto by Bell, essay by Djon Mundine, timeline, and bibliography; signed/dated, and with short note "Hope you enjoy", by Richard Bell to front endpaper.
GORDON BENNETT AND PETER ROBINSON
11. Three Colours Melbourne, Heide Museum of Modern Art 2004 1st Edition. Paperback, 2 volumes, 4to in slipcase, profusely illustrated, 63pp. Fine. Catalogue for the exhibition of works by Gordon Bennett and Peter Robinson, Heide Museum of Modern Art, and touring 2004-2006; texts by various writers, colour illustrations throughout; 2 volumes 4to in opaque plastic slipcase with Heide Museum of Modern Art logo to front; edition of 1000 copies.
12. Out of Print Gordon Bennett a survey of prints to printouts 1984 to 2004 Brisbane, Queensland College of Art, 2004. Signed 1st Edition. Hardbound, large 8vo, dustwrapper, colour and b&w illustrations, 80pp. Very Good+ tight and clean in Very Good dustwrapper. Signed by Gordon Bennett; Very scarce signed (flat-signed to title page) catalogue for the Gordon Bennett exhibition at Griffith University Qld College of Art, curated (and text by) Simon Wright; colour and b&w illustrations of Bennett's work throughout; inlcudes loose-leaf promo material for the exhibition (one page text printed both sides, and one illustrated card invitation (recipient's name crossed out in black texta); VG+ tight and clean throughout; one very short closed tear top edge of front panel of dustwrapper, o.w. Very Good.
13. The Art of Gordon Bennett McLean, Ian Sydney, G+B Arts/Craftsman House 1996. 1st Edition. Hardbound, 4to, dustwrapper, profusely illustrated, 140pp. Very Good in Very Good dustwrapper. Illustrated study of the work of Gordon Bennett up to the mid-1990's, with essays by Ian McLean, and a text (The Manifest Toe) by Gordon Bennett; colour and b&w illustrations throughout.
14. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland Illustrated by Charles Blackman Carroll, Lewis; Blackman, Charles; edited by Nadine Amadio. Sydney, Reed 1982 1st Edition. Hardbound, sm 4to, dustwrapper, colour and b&w illustrations, 128pp. Very Good in Very Good dustwrapper. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland illustrated by Charles Blackman; 35 colour and numerous b&w illustrations selected by Nadine Amadio, illustrated endpapers; believed to be the first full-colour illustrated edition of Alice by a major artist; orange cloth boards with white titling to spine, orange dustwrapper with two Blackman illustrations, one each to front and rear panel; this copy with foxing to