- Why Use Anything But Google? Information Literacy for Teachers/Faculty
Why Use Anything But Google? Information Literacy for Teachers/Faculty
Embed Size (px)
Workshop for high school & community college librarians to model a means of reviewing & enhancing syllabi for information literacy.
- 1. Why Use Anything But Google? Information Literacy for Teachers/Faculty Esther Grassian UCLA College Library 22 Sep 2005
- 3. Part 1
- List Possible ILI Offerings
- Enhance Curricula: Syllabus Review
- 4. Parts 2 & 3
- What Do Entering UCLA Students Need to Know?
- 5. Handouts
- 6. List Types of ILI
- 7. Our List
- Discussion Board Responses
- 9. Administrators can help
- 10. Questions?
- 11. 2d-Contact ILI Talking Points
- 12. 3 Most Important Points?
- 13. EG describes CUTF
- 14. EG talks more abt CUTF
- 15. Intro to trying out syllabus review
- 16. Syllabus Review
- 17. Goal:
- Students will learn how to identify significant figures and topics related to 1920s New York, not on list of assigned authors or topics.
- 18. Syllabus Review
- 20. Trigger Words?
- 21. Trigger Words
- Fitzgeralds magazine fiction & income
- His view of the upper class & Whartons
- 22. BIOGRAPHIES!
- 23. Expected Learning Outcome
- Students will distinguish among biographical sources, based on 5 criteria, in order to identify the most reliable source(s).
- 25. Try It!
- What did the instructor want students to learn? (1 sentence)
- What do you want students to learn? (few words)
- Create an IL assignment (2 sentences)
- 26. Congrats!!
- 27. Syllabus Review Advantages
- Possible Info Lit Assignments
- Suggested Info Lit Enhancements
- 29. Questions?
- 31. Teamwork Plan
- 32. Example: Music in 20 th Century L.A.
- Web Page for course: Team
- 1-Shot Session: Music Librarian
- 33. Teammates?
- 34. Questions?
- 35. Part 1: Most Important?
- Find Opportunities (or Make Them)!
- Identify Expected Learning Outcomes
- 36. Stand & Stretch!
- 37. Library Privileges
- APHS, TAP & Other Students
- California Public School Certificated Employees
- California CSU & Community College Faculty (& Librarians)
- Private School Teachers & Librarians
- 38. Part 2: UCLA Libraries
- 39. UCLA Library Home Page
- 41. Entering College Students Should
- ID Differences: Magazines & Journals
- Significance: Peer Review Process
- Locate: Useful Scholarly Journal Articles
- 42. Think Critically!
- 44. Strategy & Use: Licensed DBs
- 45. Which Database?
- 46. Expanded Academic ASAP
- Publications : 2600 Magazines & Journals
- 47. MLA Bibliography
- Subjects: language, literature, linguistics, folklore
- 48. Google Scholar
- 49. Questions?
- 50. Help: Basic Research Databases
- Start at your school/college library
- 52. Free Online Help
- Bruin Success With Less Stress
- College Library Help Guides
- 53. Assessment
- 54. Messages!
- Use Your School & Public Libraries 1st
- 55. Part 3: LILi
- Mission: Lifelong Information Literacy (for all in California)
- ID ILI Taught at All Levels
- Create Model ILI Curriculum for Lifelong Learning in California
- Methods: Survey & Database
- 56. Review
- 57. Evaluation Form