1. Dating and marriage customs in Britain Judit Soler and lia Xarles
Dating usually starts in the teenage years. Traditionally, boys started but now boys and girls start.
What is the legal age for marrying in the UK?
In England and Wales people cannot marry if they are aged sixteen or seventeen. In Scotland man and woman must be at least sixteen years of age (you dont need your parents permission).
4. A marriage can take place in
- A Register Office
- A Church of England, Church in Wales or Church of Ireland.
- A synagogue or any other private place if both partners are Jewish.
- Andy other religious building provided that the person marrying the couple is registered by the Registrar General.
- Premises approved by the local authority.
- A place where on partner is seriously ill and not expected to recover.
- A prison, if one partner is a prisoner.
5. Marriages today
Nowadays people marry later. Many couples are living together first for all sorts of reasons such as finance.
6. The Wedding Day
It is unlucky for the groom to see the bride on the wedding day before the service.
Traditionally the bride wears a white dress and the groom wears a suit.The bride may be attended by bridesmaids and pageboys.
7. After the wedding ceremony
After the wedding ceremony guests are invited to have lunch and celebrations. This is the Wedding Reception.
8. Wedding Cake
It is traditional at weddings to have a special wedding cake at the reception, often with two or more tiers - each tier may be made of a different type of cake to satisfy the tastes of all your wedding guests. It's also customary for the top tier of a three or four tier cake to be kept aside for the christening of the couples first child.
9. Wedding Superstitions
Bride and groom must not meet on the day of the wedding except at the alter.
The bride should never wear her complete wedding clothes before the day.
The husband should carry his new wife over the threshold of their home.
For good luck the bride should wear something borrowed, something blue, something old and something new.
11. The Honeymoon
It is traditional for the bride and groom to go away on a holiday, called a Honeymoon, after the wedding has taken place.