Social Media: A New World
Embed Size (px)
This presentation was presented for Terex Corporation as a Lunch and Learn on May 26, 2009
- 1.The Social Media RealmBusiness in a New World
- USENET(1979)-The first online server that linked people of similar interest.
- SixDegrees(1999)-First modern social networking site. Unfortunately no one understood the concept.
- Friendster (2002)-Friendster caused a social network boom, and resulted in a self-destruction of the servers due to high traffic.
Evolution of Social Media Gossip Print USENET SixDegrees Friendster Overload 3. Present Day Social Media
- Currently over 300 known and active social networking sites.
- Social Media has created platforms for communication across barriers easy, and cost efficient.
- Facebook - Social Networking
- MySpace - Social Networking
- LinkedIn - Professional Networking
- Twitter - Real-time status updates
- Self-directed Wealth Creation
- Self-directed Wellness Management
- Self-directed Career Acceleration
You Always Have Options Hmm 5.
- Facebook currently has over 200 million users. (Predicting upwards of 350 million by 12/09)
- LinkedIn currently has over 35 million professionals creating contacts.
- Increase Branding at minimal cost.
- Easily integrated with other media outlets.
- Lose control over information.
Facebook/LinkedInSocializing to build the future. Social and Professional Networking Host Sites. 6.
- Real-time Personal or Corporate Status updates.
- Capabilities of utilizingTwitterfor direct/indirect marketing with customers or followers.
- An internal communication network.
- Can become burdensome everyday activity.
- If not updated regularly, Twitter can be detrimental to Corporate/Personal branding.
Twitter Social Microblogging Site (140 Characters Max. Status) 7.
- Over 90% of the videos are user generated and simple in structure.
- Great video hosting tool for marketing and promotion.
- User creates a personal or corporate profile containing more information about the videos.
- Easily uploaded to any website, Blog, or Media player.
- Comments can be made on the videos that would need to be filtered by the users.
- Videos can easily be stolen and re-edited by third-party users.
- Not much interaction between the users.
YouTube Social Video Host site 8.
- Similar to the traditional journal/diary.
- 51.3 million active blogs worldwide.
- Blogs are personally monitored and currently have no set law/guide to content production.
- Promotes Dialogue through user comments and author responses.
- Offers an outlet for anyone to voice their opinion about a topic they hold a passion for.
- Can become a double edged sword if the content is not monitored correctly.
- There is a lot of competition in the Blogosphere and without consistent activity any blog can fail.
Blogs The Online Journal or Diary 9. Flickr
- Over 6,300 uploads per minute!
- Quick Photo sharing and uploading.
- Accessible from any computer.
- Easily Embedded onto other sites.
- Compatible with all all major platforms.
- Photos become property of Yahoo and Flickr.
- Photos can easily be stolen and altered.
Web Photo/Video Host Site 10. Feed the Machine
- Social Media tools to help create a world wide rave.
- Cost Effective-Social Media is a inexpensive marketing outlet that compliments the hard times we are facing.
- Generational Bridge-Technology has created a gap between Gen Y and previous generations.
- Easily Manageable-Web tools allow for simultaneous site management in a quick/easy fashion.
- Interaction - Allows users to communicate on a broader platform.
General Advantages of Social Media 12. Once a new technology rolls over you, if youre not part of the steamroller, youre part of the road Stewart Brand