Ever wonder how the web and social media have changed how people find jobs, companies market and even sales? Compare traditional with today's web enhanced practices.
- 1. Shift Happens. Sandy Blanquera Principal &Shifter How the Web is changingMarketing, Sales and Job Seeking
2. ShiftHappens! Theworldis changing fast . 3.
- Thefirst text messagewas sent
- Today, text messagesoutnumber
- people on theplanet at8 billion
- Today ,1.5 billion people use theweb.
- English speaking country in the world .
- 100%of college graduates speak
- If Facebookwere acountry ,
- itwould bethe8 th largestcountry in theworld .
- My Spacehad117.6 millionuniquevisitorsin 2008.
- Your competition isalreadyusingsocial media.
- Be an early adopter before yourcompetitiongetsto your target audience.
- Citizens are creatingtheweb content .Areyou one of them ?
- Wikipedia nowhas10,000,000articles
- YouTube has 100,000,000videos
- There are more than 200,000,000 blogs
- Social mediasiteshave experienced incredible growth
- Twitter| 2,400,000| 343% growth
- Linkedin| 11,924,000 | 193% growth
- Facebook|39,003,000 | 116% growth
- My Space| 59,352,000 | 1% growth
- Twitter experienced 343 %growthin2008. 5,000-10,000 new accountscreateddaily .Twitter.com one of the top 1,000websitesbytraffic in May 2008
- What does allthisshiftingmean ?
- If you arentpart of the shift,
- youcould getleft behind .
- SOCIAL MEDIA is anumbrellaterm.
- Itdefinesweb activities.integrates technology creates
- social interaction and the construction
- ofwords pictures videos andaudio.
15. Looks overwhelming. How do I make sense of all the applications? 16. ConversationsPoweredby certain applications
18. 19. Open opinions from customers Edited script from company Dialogue Monologue Inclusive Exclusive Targets a need Targets a consumer Customer displays need Company creates demand Web Marketing Traditional Marketing 20. Online marketing more important than offline marketing Unsolicited opinions available online 24/7 and searchable Opinions solicited Customer influenced Company controlled Customer driven Company driven Web Marketing Traditional Marketing 21.
22. 23. Purchase based on expanded information (world-wide) through company websites, product reviews,chat boards, etc. Purchase based on limited information, not searchable Purchases made on-line Purchase through direct mail, in-person, brick and mortarSales role changing. Purchase opportunity created through searches like Google, Ads (AdSense), blogs Sales person evaluates opportunity. Purchase created through meetings, phone calls, direct mail, newspaper ads, radio, brick and mortar Users buy because it fits their needs relationship building key Users buy because they want it Web Sales Traditional Sales 24. Relationships transparent through communities like LinkedIn Relationships are not primarily visible.Visible opinions drive companies to deliver on promises and customer service Promises and customer service have limited accountability Purchases and customer service 24/7 online Purchases and customer service during office hours Fewer returns - trial versions, product reviews More returns Support purchase through online customer service Support purchase through sales rep, & customer service Web Sales Traditional Sales 25.
- 70% of all jobs arenot advertised .
- Only 3-5%of jobs areadvertised onsiteslike Monster.com
- Only asmall percentageof jobsposted
- getfilledthroughMonster .
28. Social Networking Trends 29. Recruiters visible & open to connect. Recruiters search & find candidates in social communities Access to recruiters limited Networking most effective way to get job and can do it online and offline Networking (in person or via phone) most effective way to get a job Search for jobs through job boards, companies & online social communities.Newspapers becoming artifact. Search for jobs in newspaper Online resume searchable.Profiles are key!LinkedIn = the new resume.Create a physical resume Web Job Search Traditional Job Search 30. References checked online via sources like LinkedIn.Candidates reputation checked online via Facebook, Twitter, Google, blogs posts and comments, etc. for validity of personal brand communicated Phone call reference checks based on references supplied Immediate application acknowledgment via e-mail Application acknowledgment sent by snail mailApply on job & niche job boards, company websites, social communities Apply send resume through snail mail Web Job Search Traditional Job Search 31.
- Create a social media strategy
- Explore personal branding
33. Questions & Answers