11. Digital channels PhotobyGaryLerudeonFlickr.Usedunderacreativecommons icense.https://www.flickr.com/photos/garylerude/7511464618
13. Small batches matter.
14. Eating the world http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebolasmallpox/3733059220/
15. Software has no choice but to record its actions. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenny-pics/3239638494/sizes/l/
16. A closed loop of continuous improvement http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacepleb/1779158639/
17. ... a closed signaling loop ... where action generates some change that triggers a system change, originally referred to as a circular causal relationship.
18. A business that learns. http://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiegall/286709039/
19. Unfortunately, were terrible at learning.
20. Everyones idea is the best, right? People love this part! Things fall apart. No data, no learning.
21. Bad at data, too.
22. I have two kids. At least one is a girl.
23. What are the chances the other is a boy?
24. BB GB BG GG
25. GBBG GG 2 of 3 (66%) are boys.
26. Bartender: Is your child a boy or a girl? Logician: Yes.
27. Thefivestages EMPATHY Ive found a real, poorly-met need that a reachable market faces. STICKINESS Ive figured out how to solve the problem in a way they will keep using and pay for. VIRALITY Ive found ways to get them to tell their friends, either intrinsically or through incentives. REVENUE The users and features fuel growth organically and artificially. SCALE Ive found a sustainable, scalable business with the right margins in a healthy ecosystem.
28. Better: bit.ly/BigLeanTable
29. The biggest lesson: pick One Metric That Matters
30. Really? Just one?
31. Yes, one.
32. Focus is a precious commodity.
33. Having one metric addresses this problem.
34. The other lesson.
35. If it doesnt change how you behave, its a bad metric.
36. 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 2008 2012 Times a day a song in heavy rotation is played EVERY 4H EVERY 55m
37. Nobody needs this more than big companies.
38. Companies that use data-driven analytics instead of intuition have 5%-6% higher productivity and profits than competitors. 2011 MIT study of 179 large publicly traded firms Brynjolfsson, Erik, Lorin Hitt, and Heekyung Kim. "Strength in Numbers: How Does Data-Driven Decisionmaking Affect Firm Performance?." Available at SSRN 1819486 (2011).
39. Everything we are talking about this week is about the shift from scale to cycle time.
40. As a result of technology that makes the first unit as good as the millionth.
41. Removing barriers to entry and many of our fundamental business assumptions.
42. THE DATA-DRIVEN ORGANIZATION ORGANISM Dev- Ops Lean Startup Agile Big Data Cloud Computing
43. Cycle time trumps scale.
44. @acroll firstname.lastname@example.org leananalyticsbook.com Also: Please go take bit.ly/cloudopssurvey