Lisa Colton's presentation on the UJA federation of NY webinar series for synagogues. Feb 17, 2011
- 1. LEADERSHIP IN A DIGITAL AGE
Working in a Networked Way
Lisa Colton, Darim Online
With thanks to
3. Group Action Just Got Easier
4. Shift of Power
5. The Networked Nonprofit
How do you operate?
Whats your culture?
6. Fortress to Transparent
7. Whats Different?
8. THE OLD WAY
9. Some organizations are born this way,
And some need to evolve to get there
Examples of how youre working this way?
10. Nodes, Influencers, Free Agents
Nodes, Influencers, Free Agents
11. Core & Periphery
12. Start By Giving, Not Asking
13. Trust Through Transparency
14. Relationships Go 2 Ways
15. Think DifferentlyCosts &BenefitsRisks &Rewards
16. Fail informatively - Fail like crazy
Cost of trying things is approaching zero.
Risks of missed opportunity, or taking too long to adapt are high.
Be nimble.Be flexible.
"We spend more time figuring out whether
something is a good idea than we would
have just trying it. - Shirky
17. Work Differently
18. You want me to tweet too?
19. Re-examine Assumptions
20. Revisit Job Descriptions
Do what you do best, and network the rest.
23. CONTROL ONLY WHAT YOU NEED TO CONTROL
140,000 volunteer hours
Less than 20 FTE staff
What do you NEED to control?
24. GOVERNANCEIs your board pushing you to evolve, or holding you back?Who else do you need to evolve culture & take informed risks?
25. Open Leadership
- Align job descriptions new evolving ways of working
26. Hire, support and train the right people 27. Create a culture that supports openness 28. Remove barriers to being open 29. Encourage risk taking, reflection, learning 30. Celebrate passion and learningBE PATIENT, BUT START NOW!
IN THE CHAT:3 ACTION STEPS FOR YOU
http://on.fb.me/netnonbookclub (Darims Book Club)
- Open Leadership, by Charlene Li
- Empowered, by Josh Bernoff
32. Belonging in 2020
Rabbi Jennifer Krause
Rabbi Jonah Pesner
MARCH 1, 8:30-10:30
UJA Fed NY
(incl light breakfast)
What's affiliation and belonging going to look like for a socially networked Jewish community?