If you can't read please download the document
Juniper Trouble Shooting
Embed Size (px)
Juniper M, T and MX trouble shooting tips and real world cases
Text of Juniper Trouble Shooting
- 1.Control and Forwarding plane
- 100-Mbpsfxp1Ethernet link is used between RE and PFE
- For M320 case, 100-Mbps Ethernet switch is being used to provide a dedicated link to each FPC. For RE, these links are presented atbcm0
- Fxp0: management interface
- Fxp2: communication between Primary RE and backup RE
- 3)Forwarding table (FT) can hold over 800,000 routes.
2. Difference between M7i and M10i
- Redundant RE: M10i support, not M7i
- Built-in Adaptive Service: M7i. M10i needs an external AS PIC.
3. System storage
- Compact Flash(ad0) : built-in at the board.
4. JUNOS CLI basics
- Space bar to complete a command
- Command:Help topic for general concepts
- Command : help reference for configuration syntax
- Rebooting system:request system reboot
- Shut down system:request system halt
- Log and Trace files are located at /var/log
- Command:Show log | messages |file-name
- At more prompt, use forward slash(/) to search or use h to get a context help screen
- - show log messages | match so-0/3/1 | match TRAP--- AND --
- - show log messages | mach fpc | sfm | kernel--- OR ---
- Monitor log/trace in real time:monitor startfile-name| match fail
- Stop monitoring in real time:monitor stop
- Enable/disable real-time output to screen: Esc-Q
- Stop traceing operation:delete flag open
- Truncate(clear) log/trace files:clear logfile-name
- Delete log/trace files:file deletefile-name
5. JUNOS CLI basics
- Entering configuration:Typeconfigureoredit
- Exclusive configuration (configure exclusive) and Private configuration (configure private??)
- Moving within the configuration hierarchy: edit (equivalent to cd), up, top, exit (to previous location in the hierarchy)
- Show command at configuration mode vs. show command at operational-mode
- Relative configuration commands Starting with JUNOS5.3 : top
- - top show system login(show system login no matter where you are.Examples:
- - top edit protocols ospf( to enter protocols ospf no matter where you are)
- Viewing configuration in operational mode:show configuration < configuration path>
- View configuration with set: show xxx | display set
- Viewing candidate configuration: show chassis alarm,show (at the current sub-hierarchy)
6. JUNOS CLI basics
- Change the candidate configuration. Examples:
- - set alarm sonet lol red
- Display difference between the candidate and active configurations:
- At the current statement-path, show | compare
- Viewing difference in files. Example:
- - file showfilename1| compare filefilename2
- - show configuarion | compare rollback number
- Removing statements:delete
- Delete the statements and all its subordinate statements and identifieres.
- Wildcard delete. Example:wildcard delte interfaces fe-*
- Ignore portion of the configuration hierarchy:deactivate/activate
- Disable an interface: set disable interface
- Delete and disabled interface: delete interface disable
7. JUNOS CLI basics
- commit ----- candidate file is checked, actived and marked as the current
- operational sofware configuration file.
- commit check ----- only validate a candidate configuration without
- rollback n -------- recover the previous configuration. And then commit
- rollback 0is current configuration
- First 3 roll back (1-3) are stored in solid-state flash disk
- /config/juniper.conf.n (n=1-3)
- rest roll back (4-49) are stored in hard disk/var/db/config
- commit confirmedtime-out---- temporarily activate a configuration (default is 10 minutes). If the final commit is not executed, the system will performs a rollback 1, commit commands.
- commit synchronize ---- after committed on the master RE internally
- copied and committed on the backup RE automatically.
- commit attime----- commit at some time
- clear system commit ---- cancel a pending commit
8. JUNOS CLI basics
- save terminal-- for copy and paste into other others
- show | display set create configuration for simplifying configuration editing.
- Loading configuration files ( load and then commit)
- load override filenameoverride the currentconfig with the loaded one. Do it at the root of the configuration hierarchy.
- load mergefilename - combine the new and old
- load merge terminal(then copy/paste hierarchical configuration)
- load replacefilename statements with replace tag will replace the statements with the same name
- load relativeload at where it is current at the configuration hierarchy.
9. Junos CLI Basics
- Only save the configuration under certain hierarchy. To save the whole configure, issue this command at the top of the hierarchy.
- Display the contents of the file you saved
- To load a configuration after clear the current configuration
- To recover a mistake made previously after committing.
10. Junos CLI Basics
- Show log interactive-commands | match restart
- Use sysctl a to display kernel parameters.
- sysctl a | grep icmp(under shell prompt)
- show chassis 0 pic slot 1 information.
- Show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 1
- Request chassis cfeb master switch
- Request chassis routing-engine master switch
11. Junos CLI Basics
- Find out who logins the system and kick out some particular users.
- lab@santro-re0> help syslog ACCT_ACCOUNTING_FERROR
- Message:Unexpected error from file
- Help:Error occurred during file processing
- Description:An error prevented the accounting statistics process from processing the indicated file.
- Type:Error: An error occurred
12. Junos CLI Basic
- show configuration with inheritance
- show configuration interfaces ge-4/3/3 | displayinheritance
- set system syslog file messages any notice
14. Hardware troubleshooting process
- Show chassis craft-interface
- Monitor start [message | chassid]
15. Display PIC status
- Show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 1
- lab@santro-re0> show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 1
- FPC slot 0, PIC slot 1 information:
- Type10x 1GE(LAN), 1000 BASE
- Uptime1 day, 22 hours, 25 minutes, 17 seconds
- PortCable typetypeXcvr vendorpart numberWavelength
- 0GIGE 1000SXSMFINISAR CORP.FTRJ8519P1BNL-J2850 nm
16. Boot image
- If you need to reboot from PCMCIA card, you need to copy a special image called jinstall-mediaxxxx .
- Hit space when the system is rebooting until it goes to either boot: or OK prompt.
- If you get boot: prompt, the loader is not run yet. You need to do this:
- Change a boot device at OK prompt
- Ok nextboot compact-flash