These set of slides will explain the importance of maintaining the user friendly features of any website. It contains statistics gathered from researches that have been already conducted and stats collected over the internet to quantitatively prove the importance of the aforementioned title.
1. Usability Is it really important in your Website?
2. In your opinion, what is a usable website? (select one) A. A website that can be easily used by the end user B. A website that can be easily designed by the web UI engineer C. A website that meets the requirements of the client D. You dont really know ;)
3. Of course the Answer is A. A website that can be easily used by the end user
4. More than83% of Internet users are likely to leave a web site if it takes too many clicks to find what they are looking for. Background $25 billion is lost every year due to web site usability issues. ~Arthur Anderson Internet Survey~ The demand to check website usability continues to grow. HCI guidelines of W3Cs WCAG, ISO 924, HHS and IEEE are considered as the most important web usability guidelines to check in web.
5. Existing tools to check usability issues in websites Tools that communicates with experts to ensure the designs are usable and accessible
6. Concept Feedback Existing tools to check usability issues in websites http://www.conceptfeedback.co m/ Feedback Army http://www.feedbackarmy.com/
7. Pros: Get free expert guidelines. Cons: Pros & cons Reviews are based only on images of designs. No guarantee that the reviewers opinions reflect the actual user experience.
8. Existing tools to check usability issues in websites Tools that track the real end users actions to evaluate usability of the designs. (use heat maps or records user actions within a session)
9. ClickHeat Existing tools to check usability issues in websites http://www.labsmedia.com/clickheat/index.html ClickTale http://www.clicktale.com/ Clicxpy http://ww2.clixpy.com/
10. Pros & cons Pros: Tracks real users trying to conduct real tasks on the website. Captures and analyzes real user data as the site visitors complete tasks. Cons: There is no way to ask users why they clicked where they did. These tools are not free.
11. Existing tools to check usability issues in websites Tools that check for guidelines compliance of web pages by providing the URL of the web page to be checked.
12. MAGENTA Existing tools to check usability issues in websites http://giove.isti.cnr.it:8080/Mag entaWeb2/ Accessibility Valet http://valet.webthing.com/access/url. html TAW http://www.tawdis.net/
13. Pros: Can check for guidelines compliance of web pages. Pros & cons Can check the dynamic behavior of websites. Cons: Process takes place after design and, usually, after hosting the site.
14. What Netcraft says (Netcraft is an Internet services company which provides web server and web hosting marketshare analysis, including web server and operating system detection.) The Netcraft website shows the number of websites on the Internet as at February 2013 as below. There is a visible gap between the number of hostnames and the number of active sites. Only 29.3% of total sites are active at present.
15. So, do you think if your website is less usable for its users, that they will use it anymore?
16. References  Netcraft. (2013, Feb.).February 2013 Web Server Survey.[Online].Available:http://news.netcraft .com/archives/2013/02/01/february-2013-webserver-survey.html  Adele Sage. (2013, Feb.).Forrester. [Online].Available: http://blogs.forrester.com/adele_sage/12-0315lessons_learned_from_1500_website_user_ex perience_reviews  Central Bank of Sri Lanka. (2011).Annual Report 2011.[Online]. Available:http://www.cbsl.gov.lk/pics_n_docs/ 10_pub/_docs/efr/annual_report/AR2011/Engli sh/content.htm  Web Accessibility Initiative. (2006).Complete List of Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools.[Online]. Available: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RC/tools/complete