Text of Ignition - Ways to make your website work harder
1. 4 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR WEBSITE WORK HARDER Presented by Andy Chemney Managing Director, Ignition CBS Ltd
2. HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK
3. Google is thinking.. Which sites are most RELEVANT to the search query?
4. WHAT DOES GOOGLE USE TO DECIDE ON RELEVANCE? Meta title tag of page/site Meta description tag of page/site Content on the page How frequently the site is updated Age of domain Volume of links to page/site Quality of links to page/site Keywords are now irrelevant!
5. DESCRIPTION TAG TITLE TAG
6. TITLE TAG
7. TITLE TAG - SUMMARY Most important to Google - first thing it reads Title tag summarises what that page is about (not the site!!) this allows Google to put you in the right part of the library Google displays its results using the content of the title tag Tip: Create your Title Tag by composing a sentence that contains your keywords and key phrases - max 70 characters Tip: Create a different Title Tag for each page depending on the content
8. DESCRIPTION TAG HELPS CLARIFY MOTIVATION My cars been stolen, what should I do? I want to prevent car theft
9. DESCRIPTION TAG SUMMARY Describes the content of the page accurately and succinctly Serves as a short text advert to click on your results in the search results Google Instant may increase importance of this Tip: Character limit is 160 Tip: Write it like and advert - compelling and informative.
10. THE IMPORTANCE OF INBOUND LINKS
12. FINDING YOUR LINKERATI
13. CHECK YOUR (AND YOUR COMPETITORS!) LINKS
14. IMPROVE YOUR LANDING PAGES
15. EYE-TRACKING STUDY SUMMARY Ads in the top and left portions of a page will receive the most eye fixation Ads placed next to the best content are seen more often Bigger images get more attention Clean, clear faces in images attract more eye fixation Use real people in photos if you can - using models doesnt fool us Fancy formatting and fonts are ignored Headings draw the eye Initial eye movement focuses on the upper left corner of the page Large blocks of text are avoided Lists hold reader attention longer One-column formats perform better in eye-fixation than multi-column formats People generally scan lower portions of the page
16. EYETRACKING STUDY SUMMARY Readers ignore banners Shorter paragraphs perform better than long ones Show numbers as numerals Text ads were viewed mostly intently of all types tested Text attracts attention before graphics Type size influences viewing behavior Users initially look at the top left and upper portion of the page before moving down and to the right Users only look at a sub headline if it interests them Users spend a lot of time looking at buttons and menus White space is good.
17. THE POWER OF DIRECTIONAL CUES
18. THE FOLD ISNT THAT IMPORTANT
19. CONTENT IS KING Write good descriptive content in sensible chunks Display expertise Solve buyer problems Try and sensibly repeat your key words or phrases in the body text As well as your website, publish your content more widely
20. WHERE DO I PUBLISH?
21. MAKE YOUR SITE EASIER TO CHOOSE
22. MAKE YOUR SITE EASIER TO CHOOSE
23. 4 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR SITE WORK HARDER 1. 2. 3. 4. Essential: ensure your title & description tags are correct Essential: focus on building relevant in-bound links Desirable: test and improve your landing pages Desirable: add some element of 3rd party approval.
24. ANY QUESTIONS? Next free seminar : Oct 31st Internet Marketing Refresher. Book your place at our website www.ignitioncbs.co.uk or see us at our stand after the presentations.