Flash is een game changing technology, althans dat is wat de markt u graag wil doen geloven. Immers, voorspelbare consistente performance en IO efficiency worden hierdoor mogelijk gemaakt. Maar… - Microsecondes maken het verschil maar de spelregels veranderen niet. - Not all Flash was created equal - Disk is niet dood, al willen sommige leveranciers dat u doen geloven Bekijk deze presentatie om een nuchtere kijk op Flash te krijgen en uit te vinden wat de echte impact is op uw datacenter infrastructuur.
Text of Flash changes everything?! Flash changes nothing
1. 1 Flash Changes Everything 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved.
2. Impact of Flash 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. Flash can: Deliver higher application performance Reduce costs Enable green IT There is no one-size-fits-all flash solution Enterprise customers require hybrid and all-flash
3. All-Flash Hard Drives with Flash Acceleration Best mix of $/GB and $/IOPS Traditional Hard Drives What about IOPS? The Right Solution Balances Performance And Capacity Performance Capacity Best $/GB Best $/IOPS 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved.
4. Leveraging All Flash Where It Counts Latency-sensitive workloads Transactional workloads (OLTP) Analytics (OLAP) Decision-making systems Reservation/customer service systems Virtual desktop infrastructure Web services Technical computing 2014 NetApp, Inc. To Be Presented Only Under NDA. Do Not Distribute Nor Share With Third Parties.
5. Flash Changes Everything Need for Speed Platform for Speed Cost of Speed
6. IT Challenges Affecting Business Speed is not Enough Full ESG Report https://fieldportal.netapp.6 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. NetApp Proprietary Limited Use Only com/?oparams=256870
7. Flash Changes Nothing! Need for Data Protection Need for Data Management Need for Enterprise RAS
8. All-Flash FAS #1 storage OS running on next-generation FAS8000 platform Designed for workloads that require high performance, consistent low latency, proven reliability, and rich data management 2014 NetApp, 8 Inc. All rights reserved.
9. Redefining Scale-Out Storage with FAS Flexibility offers low overhead All-flash and hybrid at scale. Rebalance workloads transparently 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. App FlexClone Snapshot Backup Clustered ONTAP FAS Systems Over 450,000 IOPS In only 2 Rack Units Grow your business Scale-out performance Minimize Risk All-Flash Hybrid Built-in storage efficiencies Unified Management, Multi-protocol Rapid local and remote recovery Non-intrusive DR testing Put your DR systems to work Nondisruptive operations Scale-up capacity
10. Scalable Performance for SAN and NAS Shared Infrastructure, Multi-Protocol, Rich Data Management, Single OS, Unified Mgmt, Scale Out Scale Out by Adding Controllers (Maximum 24 Controllers) All-Flash FAS All-Flash FAS All-Flash FAS All-Flash FAS Scale Up Individual Controller s All-Flash FAS All-Flash FAS Hybrid FAS Hybrid FAS >4 million sub-millisecond IOPS and nearly 5PB of all-flash capacity All-flash FAS: Scalable high performance for dedicated workloads Mixed all-flash and hybrid FAS: One storage repository for all workloads 2014 NetApp, 10 Inc. All rights reserved. Non Disruptive Data Mobility Between Different Tiers
11. Data ONTAP & Flash 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. NetApp 11 Proprietary Limited Use Only
12. Data ONTAP and Flash Optimized Writes Illustrated - I Storage NetApp Confidential Limited Use 12 CPU Memory NVRAM Slower 8ms Writes Ack. Incoming writes are processed in memory, protected in NVRAM and acknowledged resulting in fast write response time. Writes to the SSDs are not in the critical latency path 1 3 2
13. Data ONTAP and Flash Optimized Writes Illustrated - II Storage 6 NetApp Confidential Limited Use 13 CPU Memory Slower ~1ms NVRAM A B C D Used A B C D Free 4 5 Writes are coalesced together in memory and destaged to SSD Blocks are always written to new locations Temporal locality to write metadata alongside user data in a way designed to minimize the number of disk operations required to commit data to SSDs. Write striping results in maximizing performance and reducing uneven SSD wear 4 5 6
14. Data ONTAP and Flash Flash Made Simple 3 Year Standard 2 Year Extended Must meet endurance and performance expectations Write endurance (DWPD) is more critical than NAND type Warrantied for 5 years Warrantied up to 5 years (regardless of # of writes) Currently use mixed use drives (10 DWPD) Life expectance well beyond 5 years Guaranteed by NetApp NetApp Confidential Limited Use 14
15. Why Customers Achieve Success with NetApp Consistent, sustained low-latency performance plus Proven technology with enterprise RAS Industry-leading functionality Seamless application integration Replication from all-flash to hybrid systems Warranty and customer experience Comprehensive portfolio provides options 2014 NetApp, 15 Inc. All rights reserved.
16. Thank You 2014 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. No portions of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of NetApp, Inc. Specifications are subject to change without notice. NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, Data ONTAP, Data ONTAP-v, Flash Accel, Flash Cache, Flash Pool, FlashRay, FlexClone, FlexPod, Mars, OnCommand, SANtricity, SnapDrive, SnapManager, SnapMirror, SnapProtect, Snapshot, and StorageGRID are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Microsoft and SQL Server are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation. SAP is a registered trademark of SAP AG. VMware is a registered trademark of VMware, Inc. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.