- 1.Agile Myths ... from the "real world" Agile Latvia Evening 26.08.2010 Dmitry Buzdin
2. What are Agile Myths?
- An excuse not to use Agile or some of the Agile Practices because of the "real world" conditions
3. Myths, where do they come from?
- fear of change/responsibility/transparency...
4. Spot the Reality Competition
- If Myth is real --> raise your hand
- All infomation in given presentation is based on speaker's personal experience and reality he lives in...
6. Developer Myths 7. Myths about Test Driven Development
- Real code is too complex to test
- Unit Testing is a separate product
8. Reality: Test Driven Development
- yes, it takes more time now because ...
- ... you do not know how to do that
- ... it will save time later
9. Myths about Pair Programming
10. Reality: Pair Programming
- It will not save time now
- Not necessary for the whole day
- Impossible if developers are against
11. Myths about Agile in Big Teams
- Not for Distributed Teams
- Our daily meetings take too much time
12. Reality: Agile in Big Teams
- Split teams to smaller ones, by functionality/location/other
- Distributed collaboration can be automated
- Strict daily meeting format
13. Myths about Agile Developers
- Only highly skilled and talented could do agile
- You can not just become agile
- That is why agile is not working...
14. Reality about Agile Developers
- Responsibility is the key
- Skilled developers are welcome
- Newcomers are involved from day one
15. Recap of Developer Myths
- Spend more time today to save time tomorrow
16. Manager Myths 17. Myths about Having No Process
- Agile throws away processes
- Agile replaces "bureaucracy"
- Our CMMI Level 4 is incompatible with Agile
18. Reality: Having No Process
- Agile is more disciplined than "ad-hoc" development
19. Myths about No Documentation
- Documentation should be discarded
- "I am agile, I do not need documentation"...
20. Reality about No Documentation
- Documentation is not forbidden
- Documentation should be generated
- No documents for sake of the documents
21. Myths about Agile and Customers
- Agile is impossible in Fixed-Price contracts
- Our customer should be on-site
- Our customer should be agile
22. Reality: about Agile and Customers
- Possible with any type of contracts
- Agile is for you, not for the customer
- Pick customer from your team
23. Recap on Manager Myths
- Having as little process and documentation as possible
- Customer should not necessary be Agile
- Agile is about efficiency and responsibility
24. General Myths 25. Myth: We are Already Agile!
- We are already Agile enough
26. Reality for being Agile
- Agile is a strive for excellence, not a stop
27. Myth about Agile Solving any Problem
- Agile will rescue our project
- Agile will cut the development costs
- Agile does the job for you by automation
28. Reality: Agile Solves Any Problem
- Takes time and commitment to master
- Will not be effective during first X weeks/iterations/months/releases/years
29. The Grand Myth: My Project is Unique
- Agile is great, but my project is very special, because of design/code/customer/technology/team/...
30. The Reality
- NO , it was implemented hundreds of times!!!
- ... there is nothing special about your clustered real-time embeddable enterprise project
- If project is not special, Agile just might work
- Most of the myths have some ground
- Adopt practices one by one
- Do not go blindly into agile
32. Anything Else to Add?
- What other Myths have you encountered?
33. Who am I?
- Software developer/architect practicing Agile since 2005. Currently working in C.T.Co.
- Reach me by[email_address]