I have decided to start preparing quiz questions and this is my first attempt and its is a beginner's level quiz. Just to see how good I am at framing questions.
Text of Sports quiz for Beginners
1. CRICKET QUESTIONS
2. 1.) Fill in the Blank If MS Dhoni: Hon. Lt. Colonel and Kapil Dev: Hon. Lt. Colonel then, Sachin Tendulkar: _________
3. Ans: Group Captain in the Indian Air Force
4. 2.) When Virender Sehwag was dismissed for 175 against Bangladesh in the opening match of WC 2011, Ravi Shashtri in the commentary box said to Sunil Gavaskar, The last time someone made 175 in a World Cup game we were still playing. Which innings was he referring to? (Batsman, Opposition, Year)
5. Ans: Kapil Dev v. Zimbabwe in 1983
6. 3.) Playing in Peshawar, Mark Taylor in only the first innings of the match declared the Australian innings when he himself was on 334. He could have gone on to break Laras record of 375. Why did Taylor declare his innings at 334*?
7. Ans. He did so to honour Don Bradmans record for the highest individual score by an Australian batsman. Matthew Hayden later broke that record so the record currently stands at 380 for an Australian player.
8. 4.) Who are X and Y. I still don't know from where did X come to take that catch. When X was running back waving to nearest fielder to get out of his way, I knew my time was over - Y
9. Ans. X-Kapil Dev, Y-Vivian Richards. He is talking about the catch which Kapil Dev took of Madan Lals bowling in the final of the 1983 cricket world cup to get rid of him.
10. 5.) Complete the list. Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Mohinder Amarnath, David Boon, Wasim Akram, Aravinda De Silva, Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, __________.
11. Ans. Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Recipients of man of the match award in cricket world cup finals till now.
12. 6.) I was a prominent opener for my nation. In my greatest innings, I perished by lofting a catch to Saurav Ganguly off of Sachin Tendulkar, only 6 runs short of what wouldve been an awesome and unique record. Later, I took a short break and took up religion. Who am I?
13. Ans. Saeed Anwar. He perished for 194 in an ODI. He missed out on scoring the first ever ODI double century by 6 runs.
14. 7.) Who is the only cricketer to be a part of an under-19, a 50 over and a 20-over cricket world cup winning teams.
15. Ans. Yuvraj Singh
16. 8.) Which stadium is this? When the match-fixing scandals began to emerge in the late 1990s, X's star began to wane, and although nothing was ever proved, sides started to move away, and in 2001 the Indian government banned the national side from playing there. Between April 2003 and February 2010, the venue hosted no internationals. In spite of that the record for hosting the most number of One Day Internationals is still in its name. Which stadium?
17. Ans: Sharjah International Stadium
18. 9.) Complete the list. Martin Crowe, Sanath Jayasuria, Lance Klusner, Sachin Tendulkar, Glen Macgrath, ________.
19. Ans. Yuvraj Singh. Recipients of man of the tournament award in cricket world cups since 1992. The award was not given before that.
20. 10.) Jason Gillespie scored his first century in his 71st test match. Chaminda Vaas broke this record when he scored a century in his 97th.Who broke Vaass record by scoring one in his118th test?
21. Ans. Anil Kumble against England in 2007.
22. TENNIS QUESTIONS
23. 11.) This tournament was conceived in 1899 by four members of the Harvard University tennis team who wished to challenge the British to a tennis competition. The tournament was designed by Dwight F. Davis of the Harvard team. The 1st match was held between USA & Great Britain at the Longwood Cricket Club in Boston in 1900. By 1905, it expanded to include Austria, Belgium, France, Australia & New Zealand. Which tournament?
24. Ans. Davis Cup
25. 12.) In 1990, X became the youngest-ever French Open champion at the age of 16. X went on to win eight Grand Slam singles titles before his/her 20th birthday and was the year-end World No. 1 in 1991 and 1992. But X had to take a sabbatical for reasons not under his/her control. Who is X?
26. Ans. Monica Seles. On April 30, 1993 she was the victim of an on-court attack, when a man stabbed her in the back with a 9-inch-long knife.
27. 13.) What is a Triple Crown in tennis?
28. Ans. Winning singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles at the same Grand Slam event.
29. 14.) What is a Career Boxed Set in tennis?
30. Ans. The Career Boxed set is winning the singles, doubles and mixed doubles at all the four Grand Slams. Only three female players Maragret Court, Doris Hart and Martina Navrathilova have been able to achieve this. No male player has ever achieved this.
31. 15.) Which tennis player is known by the nickname The Genius? She announced her retirement just 40 days after her Wimbledon victory in 2013.
32. Ans. Marion Bartoli. She has an IQ of 175, 15 points greater than Albert Einstein.
33. 16.) If Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes were known as the Indian Express who are known as the Indo-Pak Express?
34. Ans. Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul-Haq Quereshi.
36. 17.) Complete the list Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, Karnam Malleswari, Leander Paes, _________.
37. Ans. K D Jadhav. Lone medal winners for India at that Olympics in individual events.
38. 18.) Why the fraction 1/100 would be remembered by Milkha Singh and P T Usha possibly for the rest of their lives?
39. Ans. Milkha Singh lost the bronze medal by 1/100th of a second, in the 400 meters final at the 1960 Summer Olympics. P.T.Usha lost the bronze medal by 1/100th of a second, in the 400 metres hurdles final at the 1984 Summer Olympics.
40. 19.) Gagan Narang, Vijay Kumar, Saina Nehwal, Mary Kom, Yogeshwar Dutt and Sushil Kumar were the medal winners for India at the 2012 Olympics. On their return, of all the cash prizes and accolades which they received, Vijay Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt were awarded something additional by the Central government for their performance at the Olympics which the others were not awarded. What and why were the others not awarded?
41. Ans. The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award. Others had already won the award at previous instances.
42. 20.) Complete the list. Kishore Biyani (Future Group); Kosmik Global