“The distinguishing feature of the family of God is obedience to the word of Christ" (P. Ryken). The message was given on January 26, 2014, at New City Church in Calgary by Pastor John Ferguson. For more info, go to www.NewCityChurch.ca.
Text of The Family Likeness (Luke 8.16 21)
1. The Family Likeness ~ Luke 8:16-21 images: Leah Walthery
2. God Gives Us His Words of Eternal Life Todays Scripture: Luke 8:16-21 Found on page 865 in our guest Bibles.
3. images: tanmonkey
4. images: tanmonkey
5. images: Huffington Post
7. What is the distinguishing feature of a follower of Christ ?
8. Over the course of 2,000 years, there has consistently been one unanswerable objection to the Christian faith Christians.
9. The Family Likeness ~ Luke 8:16-21 images: Leah Walthery
10. Be on the lookout for... 1 The vital connection b/t hearing and doing 2 The distinguishing feature of Jesus spiritual family
11. image: James Wheeler / Phyllis Harris / Les Chateld / Tico the path the rock among thorns good soil
12. Luke 8:16 No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light.
13. You are the light of the world. Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. ~ Jesus of Nazareth in Matthew 5:14-15
14. Luke 8:17 For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light.
15. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil. ~ King Solomon in Ecclesiastes 12:14
16. the day when God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus. ~ The Apostle Paul in Romans 2:16
17. ~ The Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.
18. Luke 8:18 Take care then how you hear.
19. we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. ~ Hebrews 2:1
20. Luke 8:18 Take care then how you hear, for the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks he has will be taken away.
21. Luke 8:19-20 Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd. And he was told, Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see you.
22. Luke 8:21 But he answered them, My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.
23. Both the One who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family ~ Hebrews 2:11 (NIV)
24. ~ Hebrews 2:11 (NIV) Both the One who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.
25. Important Question Why does Luke include this teaching from the life of Jesus in his historical biography?
26. Main Point The distinguishing feature of the family of God is obedience to the word of Christ. ~ Phillip Ryken
27. 1 Join the family of God by faith, not by works. image: Artotem
28. 2 WARNING! Watch Out For Self - Deception
29. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. ~ James the Brother of Jesus in James 1:22 (NIV)
30. 3 Display the Family Likeness images: Leah Walthery
31. What is the Gospel according to you ?
32. Over the course of 2,000 years, there has consistently been one attractive element to the Christian faith Christians through whom people can see that Jesus Christ makes a difference.