Harriet L Peacock Meikle

  • Published on

  • View

  • Download


PIONEER HISTORY OF Harriet Louise Peacock (1836 1915) 1st wife of James Joseph Meikle


  • 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF Harriet Louise Peacock (1836 1915) 1st wife of James Joseph Meikle From the files of: Erma P. Gordon Anderson (additions by Joe Anderson: great grandson) Harriet Louise Louisa Peacock Born: 10 Nov 1836 at Watford, Hertfordshire, England Baptism/ Christening : 11 Dec. 1936 ST. MARYS, WATFORD, HERTFORD, ENGLAND LDS Baptized: 7 Dec 1860 Immigrated to Utah during 1863 Died: 15 Mar 1915, buried 25 Mar 1915 at Smithfield, Cache Co, Utah Harriet L. Peacock was baptized a member of the LDS Church 7 Dec 1860 In 1863 Harriet Louise Peacock, Emigrated from England to Salt Lake City, Utah. Refer to her fathers, William Peacock Jr., file for information about other family member emigration. LDS Emigration 4 Jun 1863: Port of Departure: London, England aboard the ship Amazon 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, New York 21 July 1863. Departed New York 31 July 1863 Arrived Florence, Nebraska 6 to 14 Aug. 1863 Departed Florence, Nebraska 3 to 15 Oct 1863 Arrived Salt Lake City, Utah Harriet Louise Peacock was the third from her family to emigrate to Utah. The rest of the living members of the family immigrated during 1866
  • 2. After arriving in Utah, Harriet went to Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah. On 3 Jan 1864, Harriet L. Peacock married James Joseph Meikle at Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah On 14 Jan 1865 Harriet L. and James Joseph Meikle were sealed at Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Utah. The Family home was in Smithfield, Utah James & Harriets children are: 1- James Jackson Meikle- 1864-1929, Married 1888 to Marinda Tidwel, 2- Thomas William Meikle- 1866-1867 3- Robert Gilbert Meikle- 1868-1939, Married 1894 to Annie Sophia Mack 4- Alfred William Meikle- 1870-1911, Married Amelia Allen. 5- Isabell Merrion Meikle- 1872-1939, Married Foster J. Gordon, 6- Samuel 1874-1874 7- Joseph Arthur Meikle- 1877-1960, Married Temperance Allen, 8- Harriette Louise Meikle 1879-1943, Married Samuel A Gordon , 1880 United States Census Rella- Marital Birth- Fathers Mothers Name tion Status Gender Race Age place Occupation Birthplace Birthplace ----------------- --------- ------ --------- ----- ---- ---------- -------------- ----------- ------------ James MEIKLE Self M Male W 45 SCOT Farms SCOT SCOT Harriet MEIKLE Wife M Female W 45 ENG Keep House ENG ENG t James MEIKLE Son S Male W 15 UT Wk-Farm SCOT ENG Robert G. MEIKLE Son S Male W 13 UT Wk-Farm SCOT ENG Alfred W. MEIKLE Son S Male W 11 UT SCOT ENG Isabella MEIKLE Dau S Female W 8 UT SCOT ENG Joseph MEIKLE Son S Male W 3 UT SCOT ENG Harriet MEIKLE Dau S Female W 1 UT SCOT ENG Grandmother Source Information: Census Place: Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah, Family History Library Film: 1255336 For a history of the family refer to biography of husband James Joseph Meikle
  • 3. James Joseph Meikle wife Harriet Louise Peacock Meikle and their children BACK ROW: Alfred William, Harriet Louise, Joseph Arthur, Isabella Marion FRONT ROW: James Jackson, Harriet Louise Peacock Meikle, James Joseph Meikle, Robert Gilbert http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=180010 Harriet L. Peacock Meikle died 15 Mar 1915 She was buried 25 Mar 1915 at Smithfield, Cache Co, Utah
  • 4. .The following pages outline the emigration of Harriet Louise Peacock from England to Utah. AMAZON GENERAL INTEREST The Mary Celeste was a 103-foot (31 metres), 282-ton brigantine. She was built in 1861 as the Amazon at Spencer's Island, Nova Scotia, the first large vessel built in this community. Amazon renamed the Mary Celeste was a brigantine found in the Atlantic Ocean unmanned and under full sail heading towards the Strait of Gibraltar in 1872. The fate of the crew is the subject of much speculation; theories range from alcoholic fumes to underwater earthquakes, and a large body of fictional accounts of the story. The Mary Celeste is often described as the archetypal example of a ghost ship. Amazon later renamed Mary Celeste An engraving of the Mary Celeste as she was found abandoned LDS EMIGRATION ROSTER & VOYAGE HISTORY Year Emigrated: 1863, Last Name: PEACOCK First Name(s): HARRIET Ship Emigrated On: AMAZON From London, England to New York City, U.S.A. Ship: Amazon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3gsa65avY 4 Jun 1863: Port of Departure: London, England LDS Immigrants: 895, Church Leader: William Bramall 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, New York ---------------------------------------------------------- From New York to Florence, Nebraska 21 July 1863. Depart New York 31 July 1863 Arrived Florence, Nebraska From Florence, Nebraska to Salt Lake City, Utah Unknown Company 6 to 14 Aug. 1863 Depart Florence, Nebraska 3 to 15 Oct 1863 Arrive Salt Lake City, Utah ========================================================================
  • 5. From London, England to New York City, .Ship: Amazon 4 Jun 1863: Departure: London, England LDS Immigrants: 895; Church Leader: William Bramall 18 Jul 1863, Port of Arrival: New York, Charles Dickens Aboard Amazon READ THE ACCOUNT http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu/Search/showDetails/db:MM_MII/t:account/id:29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3gsa65avY AMAZON PASSENGER LIST PEACOCK, Harriet Age:26, Origin: England, Occ: Spinster, Note:BMR,p.290 http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu/Search/showDetails/db:MM_MII/t:voyage/id:17/keywords:Amazon The following are a few excerpts from accounts of the voyage of the ship AMAZON in 1863. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4 Jun 1863 Port of Departure: London, England AMAZON. -- The splendid packet ship Amazon, Captain H. K. Hovey, with a company of 895 souls of the Saints on board under the presidency of Elder William Bramall; Elders Edward L. Sloan and Richard Palmer being associated with him as his counselors. A brass band, from South Wales, the performers being members of the Church on their way to Zion on the Amazon, discoursed sweet music on the poop-deck. There was considerable excitement manifested by the people on shore as this vessel left the dock and moved down the river, the people on the wharves cheering, and, on the banks of the river and on the vessels anchored in the stream waving their handkerchiefs and hats and giving vent to other demonstrations in response to the singing of the people and the music of the band. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Autobiography of Mary M. Fretwell Davis When the ship was in the London Docks, Charles Dickens came on board. His eyes were on everybody, and as he was walking about he was writing all the time. [SEE THE ARTICLE CHARLES DICKENS WROTE IN THE LIST OF HISTORIES]
  • 6. We had some very rough weather. When it stormed the captain had the hatchways all closed down and it seemed as if we were shut in a prison. My companions were Ellen Derrick, and Ellen Hackman and Lizzie Cornell. We were in an upper berth, and Lavinia Triplet and her sister and cousin in the lower one, so there was seven of us and we all kept together till we got to Utah On the 4th of July the captain hoisted the Stars and Stripes and celebrated. The ship arrived in New York harbor July 18th ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Autobiography of Naomi Debenham Dowden O June 4th, 1863, I set sail on the ship Amazon The ship cast anchor upon reaching the Isle of Wight, due to stormy weather. After three days the journey was resumed. One baby died and was consigned to a watery grave. 1 July 1863. I with others was on the forecastle at 1 a.m. several sperm whales passed just in front of the vessel in a westerly direction. At 6 a large dog fish was in sight. Dogfish is a name applied to a number of small sharks found in the northeast Atlantic. William Reed caught a naucles, but after being told it was dangerous, its bite being poisonous, threw it overboard again. A starfish was also caught. 4 July 1863 The business of the day commenced by raising the American flag to the masts head. The band played the Star Spangled Banner, Hail Columbia, & Dancing & singing on deck during the day. Reminiscences and Journals of William McLachlan Sunday 7th June 1863. Early this morning Sister Caroline Harris gave birth to a daughter at 4:30 a.m. At 9 a.m. cast anchor by the Isle of Wight. During the day a few of us were busy serving out provisions to all the Saints. Bread, butter, eggs, and cheese brought on board for sale from Portsmouth. [A SAMPLE, from various accounts, OF DAY TO DAY CONDITIONS] Some day of calm, no headway. some days of very high wind and many sea sick Saint. Weather varied from calm to rough. Spirits ebbed from high to low The sea became more calm & a great number of the brethren & sisters went up on deck and enjoyed themselves. The wind was very boisterous & the sea rolling up like mountains It was what may be called a dead calm. No headway We had high wind in our favor. The sea became very rough. We were traveling from 10 to 12 miles an hour It was very foggy all the day, not much wind. A head wind, very heavy sea waves rising mountains high. The weather fine. Very strong breeze, heavy sea waves lashing over the forecastle of the ship. Head wind, sea calm towards the afternoon. Making about 10 knots an hour, not more than 1600 miles from London.
  • 7. Head wind, calm sea, weather fine during the day. Rather damp, sea quite still. Provisions served out to all of the Saints. Sea very calm, weather warm, vessel almost at a standstill. The wind in our favor, sailing along at a good pace. The weather fine and the Saints feeling well with few exceptions. Warmer than yesterday traveling about the same rate. Captain Novey had a large sheet put up near the cabin door to shade the passengers from the painful rays of the sun. A little more breeze. Swarms of porpoises to be seen jumping about a little way from the vessel. Fair wind. Passed a vessel about 2 p.m. loaded with emigrants from Prussia to New York. Diary of Edward L. Sloan Tuesday, 9th. The day passed much as the previous one. The cooking galley being the most important part of the ship and eating seemed the most important business of life. Monday, 15th. Up about 6 a.m. and as customary went round the decks looking after the sick and found that almost all the people were able to get up and go on deck though several are suffering from diarrhea. Gave them some medical comforts while the doctor gave them some medicine. Wednesday, 17th. Becalmed. The potatoes having begun to sprout very strongly in the bags, got them up on deck & had the buds taken off & the rotten ones picked out & thrown away. Thursday, 25th. Much calmer and the wind blowing more ahead. Sunday, 28th. The wind freshened up towards the evening and about 8 p.m. it blew almost a gale. A sudden [squall] approaching almost to hurricane violence, carried away the flying jib, tearing it into ribbons like paper, and a heavy fall of rain pouring down in torrents, dashed down the open hatchway before the sky lights could be got on; we shipped a sea or two at the same time. Wednesday, July 1st. A schooner in sight all day. In the evening there was some dancing on the deck, Dr. Thomson playing the concertina. Friday, 17th The cry this morning is land ho, land being in sight on our starboard bow. The fog having lifted for a time we could see the land very plainly & numerous large vessels. 17 July 1863 A stream troop ship passed us at 8 a.m. The New York Papers were read on board informing us of the riots that were going on there, which caused great excitement on board. Port Hudson was taken by federal. 18 July 1863 Passed Sandy Hook at 12 p.m. Splendid scenery both sides of the river. A transport loaded with troops for the city passed us, & we were informed there was 4500 troops already there to quell the riot. We anchored in the harbor about p.m. Our band played the Star Spangled Banner, & we gave several hearty [cheers].
  • 8. Saturday 18th July. Very warm. About 10 a.m. anchor was cast and in a few minutes a steam tug came along side of the vessel to drag her into port. Anchor was drawn up and we moved along steadily to our destined haven at least within one mile of Castle Garden, where anchor was again cast at 2:30 p.m. Sunday 19th July 1863. About 12 a.m. the Cynosure anchored near to us. [NOTE: Refer to Cynosure Foster & Sarah Frances Gordon] She sailed from Liverpool on Saturday 29th May with 700 souls of the Saints on board. 18 July 1863 It was a very fine day. We had the pleasure to see the land of America I mean the American Island. About five oclock p.m. we got in all safe. We cast anchor some distance from the great city of New York. A riot in New York and dispute over wages had caused much trouble and the immigrants considered it providential that they were delayed in their journey until after the riot had subsided. Six weeks were spent on the ocean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_draft_riots New York City draft riots The New York City draft riots (July 13 to July 16, 1863; known at the time as Draft Week were violent disturbances in New York City that were the culmination of discontent with new laws passed by Congress to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots were the largest civil insurrection in American history apart from the Civil War itself President Abraham Lincoln sent several regiments of militia and volunteer troops to control the city. The rioters were overwhelmingly working class men, resentful, among other reasons, because the draft unfairly affected them while sparing wealthier men, who could afford to pay a $300 commutation fee to exclude themselves from its reach Civil War during this time: January 1, 1863 - President Lincoln issues the final Emancipation Proclamation freeing all slaves in territories held by Confederates and emphasizes the enlisting of black soldiers in the Union Army. March 3, 1863 - The U.S. Congress en...


View more >