Top 20 Ways To Improve Your Online and Mobile Marketing Professional Digital Marketing Assistant
1. Extreme Creativity: Extreme creativity is now required to help you achieve competitive differentiation inan increasingly cluttered and distracted online and mobile marketplace.
2. New Technology: There is a constant stream of new technology to enhance user experiences at everytouch point. Whats key is to understand how your specific customers want to use technology to improvetheir experience with your brand.
3. True Professionalization: According to the 6th Annual Professionalization Consumer Surveyconsumers expect and desire professionalization throughout their online shopping experience. And, 83%see value in being recognized with personalized experiences across channels.
4. Leverage the Power of Community: The power of community has taken consumer participation to awhole new level by empowering traditionally passive buyers and turning them into active brand contributors.
5. Rediscover the Humanity in Digital Communication: Rediscover the humanity in your digitalcommunication and make sure your team is listening, paying close attention, and taking action to build arelationship between your brand and your consumers. Whether youre on the front lines of consumerservice or in the boardroom making company-wide decisions, whether youre online or face-to-face, listening and responding accordingly is paramount to success. Sometimes that means engaging withthe
consumer, sometimes it means delivering what theyre really after. But it always means responding withexceptional service and creating an unparalleled experience with your brand at every touch point.
6. Take a journalistic approach to content: Its an editorialized and blended world of owned, earned andpaid! Brands that take on a journalistic approach to content and treat their blogs and social networks likeindividual publications will build strong communities and ever lasting relationships; ultimately converting intobusiness.
7. Create content that means something: Touch people. Get it out of your head that what youre doing isdigital and never treat anyone as a number. Create content that means something to them. Understandthem. Help them. Invoke emotion. You dont want followers, fans, users, or any such frigid thing. You wantnew friends. Sure, your relationship might exist largely on a rectangular piece of glass. Aim to kiss theirglass.
8. Add social science to your marketing arsenal: Add social science to your marketing arsenal:Today, terrific targeting, content and offers only get you so far. To increase your engagement and conversionrates, study the social scientists. They, along with behavioral economists, have proven that people takecognitive shortcuts when making decisions. And theyve shown these shortcuts can be prompted resultingin automatic behaviors. Now you can stack the deck every time you craft a subject line, write an email, layout a landing page, design a call to action, etc. Tap into proven human behavior triggers like the ScarcityPrinciple, Cognitive Fluency, Loss Aversion and dozens more to prompt the behaviors you want.
9. Create a balance of messaging across channels: Dont throw away the exploration broadcast1/4
messaging with the targeted conversion messaging. Its the proverbial baby in the bath water. Advanceddata management and campaign automation coupled with the new marriage of content marketing andanalytic make targeted messaging display, CRM re-targeting, triggered email, social, mobile and evenoffline mail so easy, multi-channel and powerful, that its tempting to ignore the power of the good oldbroadcast message. Consider the latter as a way to uncover new truths about various audiences, and toimprove your segmentation. Often, the unexpected, generic message will reveal as much about a personshabits and interests than the uber-targeted one. Create a balance of messaging across channels to make allyour content marketing work harder.
10. Create content that solves business problems: Just because we produce more content doesntmean we can digest more. In fact, we cant digest any more information than we did 100 years ago. With theincrease in content, the need for high relevancy is critical. Use Big Data to truly understand your audienceand then create content that solves their business problems and reaches them on the channels they use.Stop selling and start helping.
11. Focus more resources on content quality: Only 36 percent of content marketers feel they use contenteffectively. Why? Because most brands dont have a substantive audience to consume it. Every minute ofevery day 100,000 tweets are shared, 571 new websites are created and over 347 blog posts getpublished. Its noisy out there. So how do most marketers address this problem? By focusing moreresources on content quality and/or quantity. Those marketers without existing prudent audiences who wantto use their content effectively in 2014 must develop a content distribution and promotion plan backed byrobust audience and media research. According to Ryan Skinner of Forrester, brands can actually stepdown content production and step up distribution to get better results. Truly converging owned media withpaid and earned media empowers marketers to get their content in front of millions of eyeballs every dayand expedite the growth of their own audience.
12. Choose your voice carefully: Standing out amidst the escalating online noise and clutter is key.Ensure that the voice sharing your content rises above the din to create a connection. The voice is acombination of the person and the message. Whos telling your story? Does he/she have a solution? Isshe/he the best choice or an easy solution? Does he or she have followers that will share your message ona wider basis? Is the message relevant and different? Does it translate as genuine and authenticor, doesit proffer thinly-veiled marketing speak? Will it compel others to share your story? Choose your voicecarefully. It can mean the difference between rising to the top or disappearing into the fray.
13. Create visual content for the best ROI: The future will see a rise in visual content, and a decrease inthe reign of heavy text-based blog articles. Visual content is shared more, gets more engagement onsocial, communicates information quicker and easier than text, and, as a result, is worth more in SEO.Because of this, visual content has the best ROI currently available to content marketers. The top threetypes of content will be short-form videos, info graphics and slide shades.
14. Make your message relevant: Your message must be relevant to your buyers! All successfulmarketing programs have one thing in common: messages that speak directly to specific buyers. Why?Because relevant messaging establishes an important emotional connection between a business and itsbuyers, which, in turn, spurs future purchases. Messaging is a large part of the branding process and candrive visuals and campaign themes. Therefore, it is critical to carefully research and develop a thoroughbuyer profile prior to crafting marketing messages. It doesnt matter if youve developed an amazingconcept and launched via the latest digital or traditional marketing channels; if your message doesnt speakto targeted buyers, your marketing is worthless!
15. Focus on a user experience approach: The focus on a user experience approach in marketing hasnever been more important than now. Yet it remains a formidable challenge for marketers to measure theeffectiveness of their marketing initiatives in todays always-on world. Here are some pointers to attainactionable insights, in our multi-channel/multi-screen world, on how your prospects interact with your brand,how you convert these prospects into customers, and how to retain your most profitable customers:
Focus on your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and know your customer segments.
Measure across channels, especially upper funnel activities and their impact on awareness andengagement.
Pay keen attention to your personas and content consumption
Finally, tie all of the above to outcomes and conversions, thats what really matters!
16. Start with a face-to-face connection: Digital Marketing is often thought of as a replacement foradvertising. If you really want to make the most of your digital communications, start with a face to faceconnection, and continue the conversation online. You can do that through networking,presentations, workshops and simple coffee meeting. True, you cant meet everyone, but for the ones youdo meet Digital Marketing truly enhances those connections.
17. Create a digital marketing road-map: Research shows that nearly 50% of marketers dont have adefined digital marketing plan either separate or integrated into their marketing strategy. They are alsomarketing in the moment with no look ahead beyond the current quarter or campaigns. You can certainlyget results without a longer term road-map, but you will miss out on the opportunities from strategicinitiatives like Conversion Rate Optimizations, Marketing Automation and effective content marketing andwhich need a business case and implementation plan.
18. Learn from the way software developers work:
1. Look at how growth hackers are testing and breaking things to learn and improve performance.
2. Adopt Agile marketing techniques to remain responsive and focused on highest value activities.
3. Get prototypes/creative in front of your targets early in the creative process to capture and incorporatereal-time feedback.
19. Optimize your site for mobile: With 56% of all Americans owning a Smartphone and 34% owning atablet (as of June 2013), it is harmful to your business to not have an optimized website that automaticallydetects the users browser and device and automatically accommodates. And I dont mean an "m.url.comwebsite" that only has 4 pages. Its worth it to spend the time and money to build an optimized website thatallows users to access all your content, from whatever device they want. The conversion rates for tabletsare double those of Smartphones, so this is even more key for e-commerce websites. For localbusinesses, making sure your website is easily found via mobile devices can lead to instant customers. Andthis means regular revenue and visibility for your business online.
20. Expand your thinking beyond historical norms and boundaries: We live in a digital world a bigdata gold mine for marketers. Imagine a world where your data finds your customers tells you whatcampaigns to run, what channels to reach your target, exponentially increases conversions, quality andquantity at every stage of your sales cycle. Imagine your data predicting sales, closing deals, forecastingyour business. The data is at your fingertips, easily accessible and technology has finally delivered on thepromise of data driven. The challenge lies in todays marketers to expand their thinking beyond historical
norms and boundaries.
Top 20 Ways To Improve Your Online and Mobile Marketing Professional Digital Marketing Assistant