How to prepare for a more efficient content marketing 2014? Vendemore, the leader in targeted digital B2B marketing and Feverpitch, not an agency - but a lead factory. A pragmatic one stop-shop for content marketing, invited Vendemore customers to a workshop on Content Marketing. This is the presentation that kick-started the workshop.
1. Succeeding with content marketing 2014?
2. Agenda: THE PLAYINGFIELD What is content marketing? Why is it happening? The basic 8 principles? THE CONTENT FACTORY What is good content? Content without distribution? How organize to produce? My case! Group discussion
3. THE PLAYINGFIELD
4. Bjrn Borg
5. Marketing and sales are starting to feel some serious pain. Lets look at some symtoms
6. Decision groups bigger! Media landscape fragmenting! Sales cycles longer! Search-beforebuy has doubled! Margins are pressured! More search options! We are not getting in early..! Search declines as traffic driver! We are not getting in. Period! People dont trust companies! Awesome as a tactic is broken! > CSO > CMO
7. 2013 Birth of the blind pipeline
8. Blind pipeline THE BAD NEWS We are almost flying blind in the first 60 % - 70 % of the pipeline. And thats the pipeline leading up what make up our revenue today! 60 -70 % of buyers journey without contact Unaware Problem noticed MARKETiNG Define problem Seek advice Define needs Identify providers Evaluate providers Nego&ate deal SALES THE GOOD NEWS This is a tremendous opportunity to meet the buyers need for good content early. Everytime we provide good content we build trust and they are listening to us, not to our competitors...
9. If content marketing is our bet
10. what basic principles will improve our game?
11. 8 basic principles of content marketing 1 Not reaching them early - will kill our business 2 Find ways to earn their trust in an era where trust is scarce 3 Top of mind marketing by awesome and interuption is expensive (if not using targeting) and at the same time fails as a trustbuilder (if traditional image advertising) 4 Helping out by truly useful content works. It positions us as a social and competent helper early in the process. Customer empathy the keyword to remember. 5 Content as branding. If a brand is a promise then content is a way to deliver before the promise is even made 6 We need to have a powerful distribution tactic. We have to maximise the reach of our content. Via outbound, pipeline marketing, searchability, social, social selling 7 One key victory is the waterholevictory. They see us as an important information resource and return to drink 8 Do not drown in beautiful concepts and systems build 1-2-3s loops that are repeatable
12. What door leads to good content marketing? Marketing automation? Social business? Black-hat practices?
13. KPI:s. Key performance indicators. What makes sense to measure? 1. Consumtion Why? - The more time they spend with us they spend on us 2. Advocacy & Sharing Why? - This is a quality and reach metric 3. Leadgeneration Why? - Indicates marketings ability to fulfil mission to generate leads 4. Sales Why? - Since it focuses of the end-gameof the process 5. Content production cadence Why? There is a niche opportunity out there
14. 3 keys Three keys to success all equally important 1.Strategy 2. Content 3.Distribution
15. THE CONTENT FACTORY
16. The important HOWs of content marketing
18. Case hur? Wenell Video Short situational how-tos from Wenells experts Customer Interviews Event interviews with thoughtleaders Soundcloud (audio + podcasts) Blogposts (2 per week at minimum) Self-assesment test (exempel p pdf) Infographics Linkedin company page + groups Guides (Facebook page) (Twitter) (g+) Updating images Mobile site
21. Who are they Questions: 1 Defining the decision table 2 Business Modell Canvas What do they - Think/Feel + See + Hear + Say/Do 3 Business pains & Personal pains 4 Focus for our company short term and long term? The imperfect first iteration made in 40 minutes on a white board, always beats the perfect exercise that is not completed
22. Empathy 1 What is empathy? The intent to really understand another human and then let that understanding guide our actions 2 What bearing does empathy have on our content marketing? It helps us choose what to produce, in what formats We humans feel when someone shows us empathy. Content is an action where we disclose that intent early. Should we or can we even - fake it?
23. Question list First iteration 1 10-20 key questions 2 Verify against hypothesis of who they are and what drives them A list accessible to the both sales & marketing with the key questions from customers then we simply need to answer
24. Formats Decide on 1-3 main formats. Think of them as buckets. Pour your answers into these buckets Video Podcast White-paper or guides Infographic Instructographics Blogposts Client cases eBook pdf:s
25. Distribution Have a robust distribution strategy in place Think buckets again this time for distribution The search bucket. Optimize for search (e.g. video title matches google search term, have transcripts under video to catch traffic) The pipeline marketing bucket targeting selected companies with your content on hundred thousands websites with Vendemore; video ads, article ads, survey ads The social sharing bucket share on multiple social networks via tools such as buffer. Then have a process for de luxe posts on your 1-2 main networks The marketing automation bucket - have a landing page/form on webpage logic set up to distribute content to identified leads The website bucket a good website that makes finding your content easy is critical
27. Distribution Inbound/Web - Content Podcast Twitter Pipeline Marketing Slideshare Marketing automation S E A R C H LinkedIn Without a the right tools for distribution all investments are wasted
28. Publishing Your companys experts and their knowledge are the new rockstars. Not the advertising agency. Fast cadence publishing. Reusable formats. Evergreen content. Always on. Not campaigns once in a while. Much like a newsdesk, but other content Helping out - making sense of the stuff educating - inspiring
29. Versioning A video interview can be versioned and re-used as a: podcast (sound) transcript (unedited text from video for reading and SEO) shorter versions of longer interview (for convenience and more social posts) Used as editorial piece (edited text for pdf) checklist with tips (text on website or pdf)
30. Hej! Add me on Linkedin or simply email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
31. Curation Online curating is very much like the curating done in a museum, etc. The curator picks and chooses what he/she thinks would be best for the website and its audience. More specifically, choosing content for your visitors. - Faisal Khan, Payments Ninja! On Quora Your content 30 % Others content Your total content offer 70 % 100 %
32. Measuring The purpose of measuring is verify why things work and eliminate waste Think LEAN start-up, LEAN manufacturing This requires simple short experiments that deliver outcomes. This is what we call 1-2-3s Simple tools like Google Analytics, Linkedin Pages Analytics, YouTube AnalyticsAnd as you proceed stats from your marketing automation provider, email-provider, landing page provider
33. definition Content marketing is any marketing format that involves the creation and sharing of media and publishing content in order to acquire customers. This information can be presented in a variety of formats, including news, video, white papers, e-books, infographics, case studies, how-to guides, question and answer articles, photos, etc. Content marketing is focused not on selling, but on simply communicating with customers and prospects. The idea is to inspire business and loyalty from buyers by delivering "consistent, ongoing valuable information Source - Wikipedia
34. Words to watch Formats Quality/Value Useful vs. Awesome Distribution Pipeline Marketing Outbound/Inbound Viral vs. Targeting Channels Inbound marketing solutions Social Search vs. Search vs. Search vs. Socialand Search vs. Contentaawwghhh Frame of mind/Friend of Mine/Top of Mind Big Data Mobile Device behavior & content consumption