Text of Owl and The Hummingbird - Ontology and SEO
1. THE OWL AND Ontology & SEO The Hummingbird Dawn Anderson
2. How Can SEO Be Dead? For Obsessive Compulsive Link Building Disorder it may be BUT.. It was NEVER just about the links It was ALWAYS about ontology Its ALWAYS been about library science, lexicons, relationships We still need to search engine optimize sites for this thinking like a machine (SEO)
4. Sergeys Studies PICTURE SOURCE: The Anatomy of a Large-Scale HypertextualWeb Search Engine (Brin/ Page Stanford EDU (http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html) Lexicon 14 million words in 1998 if straightforward winner?? Added last in photo- finish If further info is needed (no clear winner??) Red and green parts NOT Sergeys work
5. Incomputer scienceandinformation science, anontologyformally representsknowledgeas a hierarchy of concepts within adomain, using a shared vocabulary to denote the types, properties and interrelationships of those concepts. Ontologies are the structural frameworks for organizing information and are used inartificial intelligence, theSemantic Web,systems engineering,software engineering,biomedicalinformatics,library science,enterprise bookmarking, andinformation architectureas a form ofknowledge representationabout the world or some part of it. The creation of domain ontologies is also fundamental to the definition and use of anenterprise architecture framework. Ontology Definition (Information Science):
6. Meanwhile.. In Semantic Web People have been busy The W3C Working Group Why is it taking so long -decades? (its complicated using RDF, OWL, XML, SKOS) The AAA Principle Always about relationships between things (entities) Machines / humans both understanding the web Formal Ontologies are key to this Web of Data was always vision The Network Effect has not yet happened
7. What Is OWL? Web Ontology Language Why Not W.O.L. Why OWL? A Semantic Web language designed to represent rich and complex knowledge about things, groups of things, and relations between things. (source: W3C.org) TheW3Cchartered the OWL Working Group as part of theSemantic WebActivity in September 2007
8. Meanwhile.. In SEO Google Penguin & Panda cause chaos Hummingbird slips quietly in Link removal becomes the new link building Toxic links are removed or disavowed What to do next??? A lot of titles get changed on Linkedin Some even leave SEO SEO budgets get pulled / reduced ???
9. What About The Hummingbird? A complete rewrite Beginning to connect relationships between things (Semantics) step towards semantic web (lexical onomiese.g. synonyms) Is it a coincidence Penguin and Hummingbird arrived within a short period of each other? It didnt just appear a lot of work has been going on teaching machines via lexical-semantic ontology learning / natural language processing Did Googles Lexicon get better? Did links matter less because the Lexicon word catalogue got grammar?? (natural language)
10. Meanwhile.. In Content Marketing Copywriters go crazy with WordpressWSYWIG editors .. Everywhere Fabulous content gets released. Everywhere With great PR headlines / titles . .. Everywhere Written for humans . Not machines (with little or NO SEO) We begin to drown in a sea of content And everybodys traffic ends up in their blog ;) Demand for CRO goes through the roof ;)
11. Meanwhile.. Everywhere We end up with fuzzy ontologies ????????????????????????? A fuzzy ontology is one of vagueness, . A domain or knowledge representation which is unclear and imprecise in nature as to what it relates to This exists and ontologists/ information scientists work on ways to measure fuzziness with measurements of logic e.g. 0.6 chance it might mean this DONT BE FUZZY
12. Dont Be Fuzzy There Is Another Way You can write for humans and machines too Remember Googles origins in data mining to organise books (library science) MAKE LIKE A LIBRARY
13. Is Your Library Organised? Does It Look Like This?
14. Is Your Library Organised? Or Does It Look Like This?
15. Vocabularies Very loose and informal
16. Taxonomies Animal Mammal Canine Feline Human Reptile All About Categories and Subcategories broad to narrow Much more powerful clear order for crawlers (and people too)
17. Relationship Ontologies (Knowledge Domain) Shakespeare Anne Hathaway King Lear Macbeth UK England Scotland Stratford Married Is In Lived In Set In Wrote Part Of Part Of All About Relationships structure AND cross relationships
18. Avoid Fuzz -When Writing For Web Write for people AND machines Googlebotcant read infographics put words with them Dont dilute your domain theme or internal anchor cloud - Dont link too many irrelevant posts to irrelevant posts Talk about what you do Obvious (youd be surprised) Related content CAN be your commercial pages Check content keywords in GWT (surprised?) Avoid generics use a category name in blog post structures (NOT CATEGORY) When engaging -Build a subject domain Lexicon and weave it in -Use lexical onomies-synonyms / hyponyms, meronyms, verbs, holonyms, antonyms, associated keywords (Look in GWT content keywords, thesauri, SERPs) -Remember Hummingbird treats synonyms the same so avoid stuffing
19. Avoid Fuzz -When Writing For Web Always get primary terms in somewhere Use relevant lexicon words in H1s, H2s, H3s, image alt tags, image file names Get primary keywords and sectional keywords in URLs and titles Avoid PR headline type titles in your meta title and H1 (riddled with stop words) Less is More Its all in the hints, clues, site structure (not stuffing or spinning) Connect relationships where possible -Use contextual internal linking as long as its RELEVANT Dont use nonsense / generic / irrelevant post tags (youd be surprised) Build taxonomical cluster menus where possible (very powerful) Build sectional themes in categories (keep it very narrow)
20. When Developing For Web Infinite loops (even in small Wordpresssites) (each churn leaks relevance) Thin panda vulnerable irrelevant content Incorrectly implemented canonicalization (pages NOT the same) 301 redirects to irrelevant pages Dilution through poor use of URL parameters and faceted navigations Bulk relevance together in sections connect horizontally and vertically - Use flattish silos for strong site sections combined with cross module internal contextual linking Build primary keyword presence through boilerplates Keep things moving action in commercial pages (something that changes that is HIGHLY relevant to the sectional theme) Products?? What products? Avoid Generics All roads eventually lead to commercial targets most internally linked to Use breadcrumbs & mega menus but avoid jumble sales look at conditional / highly related sectional menus (e.g. Widget Logic in Wordpress) Name and categorise XML sitemaps, add categories as sites in GWT