1. How to think out of the box a TED talk By Giovanni Corazza
2. Have you ever been assigned an easy task, which for you is actually very difficult? That is when you experience frustration
3. For example, when your singing teacher asks Sing from your diaphragm! Thats easy for HER to do, but for you its actually difficult and its a secret of the singing greats.
4. Or when your boss says, Come on! Give me your ideas! Think out-of-the-box! Easy, simple. But actually very hard to do.
5. You need practice to do this. You should know: HOW to get out of the box WHERE to go, and HOW to come back into the box (because thats where you live)
6. The first question you should ask is WHY? Why should we go out of the box?
7. We feel safe in our boxes.
8. Why risk our reputation?
9. We are all nodes in a network sharing information with each other in real time. Eventually, we will all possess the same information. And if we all possess the same information, what distinguishes us from one another? Where does our dignity as human beings lie?
10. So to think creatively, to think out of the box, is not a LUXURY, that only a few people possess, But a NECESSITY
11. The next question we should ask is WHICH? Which box are we talking about?
12. IS IT OUR MIND? No.
13. Rather, it is a boundary WITHIN our minds between.. WHAT YOU KNOW. WHAT YOU HAVENT THOUGHT ABOUT.
14. This box we live in is a creation of OUR TEACHINGS OUR SUCCESSES OUR FAILURES Which make up, in most part, who we are. And whatever is OUTSIDE this box is INVISIBLE to us. That is why its so RISKY to go out.
15. 1 How do we go out of the box? HOW?
16. We perceive things as they are because thats how they have been our whole life. This is convergent informationBut what we need is,
17. Information. This is the ONE MECHANISM required for out of the box thinking.
18. Divergent information refers to something that is WRONG, ABSURD or NOT APPARANTLY RELEVANT We need divergent information To cross the border within our minds Between what we know and what we do not know yet.
19. 1 Where do you go once you are out of the box? WHERE?
20. Once we are out of the box, where Do we go? There is no preset direction. There is no preset direction once we get out of the box. There is a potential situation that brings us to the feeling that...
21. Nothing is making sense! We need to go back now. Back to the safety of our box!
22. We need to RESIST this temptation
23. We need to value LONG thinking.
24. What is LONG thinking? Judging something as an ensemble rather than judging its individual parts. Like judging an entire book rather than each of the words, or judging an entire song rather than each of the notes. Judging an ensemble of ideas and application of these ensembles to areas where they have never been applied.
25. We need to be OPEN MINDED.
26. We need to think of ALTERNATIVES And not THE RIGHT ANSWER!
27. Because when it comes to CREATIVITY There is no one right answer!
28. 1 What is the value of our new idea? WHAT?
29. How do we assess the value of the new idea we got from our time exploring out of the box?
30. We could test the idea for some particular value and then test it on a problem that is not our own. Evaluating it per say.
31. 1 What is it a good idea to challenge the current environment? WHEN?
32. When do you challenge everyone around you? To think out of the box?
33. We do this by incorporating elements of divergent information in our current environment. Use metaphors & match different disciplines!
34. Only in that case the environment will become prone to the generation of new ideas!
35. So these are just some guidelines that show that thinking out of the box isnt really that hard!
36. A QUICK JUMP OUT OF THE BOX IS MORE INSIGHTFUL THAN A LIFETIME OF STANDARD THINKING GIOVANNI E. CORAZZA
37. THANK YOU
38. Created by Kunal Eapen, IIIT Allahabad During an internship by Prof. Sameer Mathur, IIM Lucknow www.iiminternship.com