- 1. Hialeah Gardens High School Summer Reading
2. Whyread ? Whybooks ? 3.
- "Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."Richard Steele
4. The ability toreadis one of the strongestpredictorsof future success. Although reading can betaughtin a classroom, it must bepracticed . This slide and next: Are librarians really worth it? Available online at: http://www.ccsd.net/schools/watson/libraryresearch.html 5. When studentsvoluntarilyread, they practice and enforce what is taught in the classroom. Michael Jordan can teach you to how to throw the perfect foul line shot, but if you don't everpracticethe skill, his instruction is worthless. 6. We need time for reading 7. CNN Interview 8. Excerpt from A Thousand Splendid Suns 9. With all the mythology and mysticism of AVALON HIGH, Meg Cabot's very first manga is indeed a tale for the ages. 10. 11. Bosch's cell phone chirped and he welcomed the intrusion into his thoughts on small deaths. It was Mankiewicz, the watch sergeant at the Hollywood Division of the Los Angeles Police Department. "You finished with that yet?" "I'm about to clear." "Anything?" "A changed-my-mind suicide. You got something else?" "Yeah. And I didn't think I should go out on the radio with it. Must be a slow day for the media getting more what's-happening calls from reporters than I am getting service calls from citizens. They all want to do something on the first one, the actress on Mulholland. You know, a death of a Hollywood dream story. And they'd probably jump all over this latest call, too." 12.
- Ben Wolf goes in for a routine physical at the beginning of his senior year. He walks out with a year to live and some big decisions to make:
- I walked away understanding I have a rare form of whatever the hell it is and without treatment my chances sucked, but with it they still sucked and somehow I knew my chances aren't about living, they're about living well. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone else, but I'm not going out bald and puking. I don't have anything to teach anyone about life, and I'm not brave, but I'd rather be a flash than a slowly cooling ember, so I'll eat healthy food, take supplements, sleep good, and take what the universe gives me.
- And I'm turning out for football.
- Not only does he decide to forgo treatment -- he decides that he wants his last year to be as normal as possible. So he doesn't tell anyone. His parents, his brother, his coach -- no one.
- His mother is not his mother. His father is not his father. And if Jack hadnt broken the high school rushing record that night, nothing would have changed. Hed just be going out for pizza, playing football, trying yet again to score with his girlfriend, P.J.
- But he did break the record. He appeared on the news. And now they have found him. Ripped from the only world he has ever known, Jack plunges into a space-timebending game of survival with no way out. The rules are shrouded in secrets they say he cant handle. But some things he learns fast: Trust no one. Never forget that your friends could reveal themselves as your enemies at any second. Every turn leads to betrayal. And if you dont go along with it, you die.
- After centuries of abuse, the earth is dying, and its up to Jack to reverse the decline before the Turning Point, when nothing will ever be the same again.
14. Estrella is a Marrano: During the time of the Spanish Inquisition, she is one of a community of Spanish Jews living double lives as Catholics. She is living in a house of secrets, raised by a family who practices underground the ancient and mysterious way of wisdom known as Kabbalah.When Estrella discovers her familys true identity and her familys secrets are made public she confronts a world shes never imagined, where new love burns and where friendship ends in flame and ash, where trust is all by vanquished and betrayal has tragic and bitter consequences. Magical and spellbinding Painful and exquisitely beautiful.Lois Lowry, Newbury award winning author 15. Everything was normal until the moon was knocked out of orbit. When so many people are giving up hope, starving, and dying of diseases we rarely get, Miranda is still clinging to normality. She still wants to date Dan, her swimming teammate, and she fights with her mother about her father and brothers. During this time of disaster, though, Miranda's best qualities come to light. Her determination helps her family survive a bout of deadly flu. Even though she fights with her mother, Miranda never gives up on loving her. Miranda might not know how long they will survive, but she does know that by working together they stand a chance. 16. Have you ever loved someone from the wrong side of the tracks? Damien has everything going for him. His family wants him to date Roxanne. He falls for Junice, whose life is totally messed up. But Junice tells him that he's the one who needs the reality check.Harlem meets Shakespeare in this fresh, original free-verse novel by Michael L. Printz Award winner Walter Dean Myers. 17. The first case Cameryn is called upon to assist with involves the murder of her friend Rachel. Rachels case is made all the more intriguing when there is evidence the crime was committed by a serial killer. A psychic who believes she predicted Rachels murder comes to town under the belief he can help police solve the crime. The psychic and the supernatural do not sit well with Cameryns scientific mindset. Another mystery in Cameryns life is the new-to-town deputy Justin and his link to her absent mother. Can she and her mother patch things up? Can Cameryn solve the case ofThe Christopher Killerin time or will she end up being his next victim? For forensic mystery readersThe Christopher Killeris a must read.Alanes Interactive Video 18. Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier.On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. 19. 20. Cass McBride is one of the A-list kids at her school. Cass is involved in just about every important committee and event at her high school, just so she can impress college admissions personnel.That's why, when Cass is approached by David Kirby, who asks her out on a date, she has a hard time not laughing at him. But that wouldn't be politically advantageous --- she needs David's vote for Homecoming Queen, too --- so she politely dismisses him and then mocks him in a cruel note for her best friend. When that note lands in David's own hands, the ramifications for Cass are more than she ever could have imagined. Shortly after Cass's rejection, David commits suicide --- and, when David's popular, guilt-ridden older brother Kyle discovers Cass's note, he blames Cass personally. 21. Author Interview Rule #3:Dont stare at invisible faeries. Aiislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their crueltyespecially if they learn of her Sightand wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.Rule #2:Dont speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer. Rule #1:Dont ever attract their attention. But its too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any costregardless of her plans or desires. 22. 23. Your Assignment
- Pick your favorite two books
- Write the titles of your books, one
- on each piece of pink paper