LIES and Micro expression
Did you know?
• According to a research done by psychologists a person speaks an average of 2 lies in a day.
• Humans are not biologically made to lie.
• Are lies harmful?
• Lets consider what happens when people lie.
• Motivational impairment effect
Common facts in the two cases?
• Eyes and the hands are not coordinated in the same direction
• They blink their eyes 2 seconds
• BUT why?
Quick and easy method to detect a lie
• Increased pupil size• More nervous• Less eye contact• Press their lips together• Less relaxed posture• More blinking of eyes
How do psychologists detect lies?
• What is Micro expression?
• Involuntary contraction and relaxation of the facial muscles.
Examples: 1. Smirks 2. Frowning 3. Smiles 4. Movement of eyelids and eyebrows
• Micro expressions are better understood using the FACS
• What is FACS?
• It stands for Facial Action Coding System
A Part of the List of Action Units and Action Descriptors (with underlying facial muscles) AU Number FACS Name Muscular Basis
1 Inner Brow Raiser Frontalis(pars medialis)
2 Outer Brow Raiser Frontalis(pars lateralis)
4 Brow Lowerer depressor glabellae, depressor supercilli,
5 Upper Lid Raiser palpebrae superioris ,superior tarsal muscle
6 Cheek Raiser orbicularis oculi(pars orbitalis)
7 Lid Tightener orbicularis oculi(pars palpebralis)
8 Lips Toward Each Other orbicularis oris
9 Nose Wrinkler levator labii suprioris alaeque nasi
10 Upper Lip Raiser levator labii superioris, caput infraorbitalis
11 Nasolabial Deepener zygomaticus minor.
12 Lip Corner Puller zygomaticus major
• Consider only emotion-related facial actions. Examples of these are:
Emotion Action units
Study of Micro expressions
• Micro expressions can be difficult to recognize as they last only 1/25 to 1/15 of a second
• A camera is used to distinguish distinct emotions
• Study Micro expression by Using of photographs
Any question will be welcomed.
• Thank you all for you attention..