This is my "ignite" format (20 slide/15 sec slide) slide deck from my presentation at NCAIS Innovate Conference on March 11, 2010 at Cary Academy. No Audio, but presentation should be on YouTube Channel soon.
Text of Willard Sparking Innovation
1. SPARKING Innovation in Education Heard from those quiet girls lately? Derrick Willard Providence Day School Charlotte, NC
2. ? 3. Where is this going?
Why a wiki?
Power Law (and the Long Tail)
Action Research needed?
4. Background 5. Powerful Learning Practice 6. Choices, Choices Image by Flickr user: dkuropatwa 7. Shirky says
8. Wiki! 9. The Power Law The Long Tail 10. The Long Tail
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
TheLong Tailorlong tailrefers to the statistical property that a larger share of population rests within the tail of a probability distribution than observed under a 'normal' or Gaussian distribution.
11. Say What? 12. The Power Law The Long Tail 13. My Results 14. Serendipity?
30 total participants
Whos in the Long Tail?
Who did more work beyond the minimum?
Who contributed more to discussions?
15. Say What? 16. Conclusions
1.Even if minimums are established for participation, student efforts on a collaborative project will fall out according to the Power Law.
2.There is no clear evidence that participation in a one-week wiki "study group" will boost exam performance.
3.The majority of students reacted positively to this use of a wiki.
4.Some students, are more engaged, but not necessarily the students that have the most room for improvement.Females seem to thrive in this collaborative environment?
5.Data management tools within the wiki make it easy to quantify student participation and "drill down" to assess the quality of that participation.
17. Say What? 18. More Research Needed?
Girls who are in the long tail for amount of classroom participation are not in the long tail for wiki participation
If so, why?
19. This is the 19 thslide.
Come to my session tomorrow:
Tearing Down Walls: Extending the Science Classroom Derrick Willard; Providence Day School