Utah Science Olympiad 2009
Embed Size (px)
Powerpoint Presentation created by Weber state for the 2009 competition.
Text of Utah Science Olympiad 2009
- 20 thanniversary of Science Olympiad in Utah
- 70 teams from 62 schools from 18 school districts
- 17 new schools,5 new districts
4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12.
- Science Olympiad is a lot of work why do you do it?
- I like my students to be able to show how much they have learned
- They learn to work together as a team
- It helps the students learn to organize their time
- The students really enjoy it.They have a lot of fun and learn in the process
- I attended as a parent a few years ago and saw the excitement in the kids and that got me hooked
13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23.
- Why should someone sponsor Science Olympiad?
- It is a positive activity for youth that promotes education, self-motivation and commitment
- Anything we can do to increase a student s commitment to learning science will pay off in the future
- It helps kids think about careers in science when America is producing fewer and fewer scientists
24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37.
- Has Science Olympiad had an impact on your students?
- I had a student go into astrophysics at Berkley all because of this program
- I have had students go to Science Olympiad and it has helped them become more excited about learning
- I have a lot of female students get more interested in science
- I have one student who gets poor grades but had a blast, learned a little science, and promised to be back next year
38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44.
- Scholarship opportunities
- WSU gave over $73,000 in scholarships
- UofU Engineering gave over $52,000 in scholarships
- USU College of Science and Natural Resources alsogave scholarships