The finals of the Induction Quiz for PGP 2014-16 batch of IIM Kashipur held on 7/7/2014. Quiz Master: Ashwin Murali
Text of The Induction Quiz Finals
The Induction Quiz for PGP 2014-16 batch Finals By Ashwin Murali
Rules 20 Questions on Infinite Bounce 10 Clockwise & 10 Anti-clockwise 10 points for all right answers
1. The following is an excerpt from a Cricinfo article published on April 1, 2011: Sir Alex Ferguson is a huge admirer of X. He says, X will certainly have a positive impact on van der saars successor. Goalkeepers often find themselves in similar situation where theyve to guess the path of the ball, use their footwork and agility. Hence, X will be of immense help to the Manchester united team as a Goalkeeping advisor.
Who else but Him!!
The exact location of X, however, is a matter of speculation. Many are of the opinion that it may be Coimbatore, . It is also speculated that it may be located somewhere along the river Kaveri Some believe that it could be near Yadavgiri in the erstwhile state of Mysore. What is X ? 2.
Malgudi a fictional town from RK Narayan. It had some places like Lawley road which say that Malgudi is partly based on Coimbatore, which also has a Lawley Road
Mammy Two Shoes aka Toms owner from Tom & Jerry. This is her sole appearance with her face shown. Else its only 2 shoes.
4. Gimme X X is an African Philosophy focusing on people's allegiances and relations with each other. Nelson Mandela explains X as follows : A traveller through a country would stop at a village and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of X, but it will have various aspects. X does not mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to be able to improve?
5.ID X X is a 1988 computer phenomenon by John Romero. It was developed for the Apple II and DOS. Romero explains that a famous Nintendos creation inspired him to create X. The well known versions of X are.. 1. X 2. Double X 3.X in the Haunted Mansion 4.X's risky rescue 5.X goes nutz.
Dangerous Dave and the inspiration being Mario.
6. Where? What existed in this place?
The Bamiyan Buddha Statues in Afghanistan. It was destroyed by the Taliban in 2001.
7. X again? X is a dark ride at the Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris theme parks.This was the last attraction which Walt Disney himself participated in designing; it opened three months after his death, in the spring of 1967. It is located within the New Orleans Square portion of Disneyland, its facade evoking antebellum era New Orleans, topped by a 31- star United States flag (which would indicate the 1850s). An overhead sign at the boat dock names it Jean Lafitte (although his name is misspelled Laffite), who fought alongside the U.S. Army at the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. The second floor of the facade was originally designed to be a private Disney family apartment.
Pirates of the Caribbean The movie is based on this ride at the Disneyland.
8. Poster for which movie?
Alam Ara - Indias first talkie
9 X is a car based on Morris Oxford III model first made by the Morris motor company at Cowley, Oxford in the UK. It is manufactured in India by Y a subsidiary of the business house Z X,Y & Z?
X Ambassador Y Hindustan motors Z The Birla group
10. X ,a successful tractor manufacturer went to meet Y ,a car manufacturer, at his factory to complain about the quality of the clutch in the car he owned. Y sent him away telling him to go and drive tractors because he was not able to drive cars. X went back to his factory, had his clutch dismantled and realized that the clutch manufacturer was the same who supplied the clutches for his tractors! X promised himself never to go back to Y for another car but rather beat him at his own game by creating a superior sports car. Identify X and Y.
Ferrucio Lamborghini and Enzo Ferrari
11. Complete the list. What are they called? Brown University Columbia University Cornell University Dartmouth College ________________ Princeton University University of Pennsylvania Yale University
Harvard University; The Ivy league
12. The first X was formed on sand at a beach when Norman Joseph Woodland moved into his father's apartment in Florida. His inspiration came from Morse code. The Technology for X was adapted from optical soundtracks in movies using a 500W light bulb. In 1949 Woodland and his friend filed a patent application for X ("Classifying Apparatus and Method). The patent was eventually bought by Philco in 1962. ID X.
13. Identify X Xs first work was a humor book, 187 Men to Avoid: A Survival Guide for the Romantically Frustrated Woman, 1995, Berkley Publishing Group. Xs novels usually feature themes of conspiracies and treasure hunts.
14. Identify X Research begins at Roke Manor Research Ltd., a company with over thirty years of vision processing expertise. Led by Dr. Paul _____and funded by The Television Corporation, the concept of X'' is born. In the spring of 2001 X won the BAFTA award for best sporting innovation In 2003 X won an Emmy award for outstanding innovative technical achievement.
15. NY Times Book review of which book? We see this lot of pretentious literary folks through the eyes of regular-guy Strike, who, after reading some of Owen Quines perverse work, wonders if the novelist was mentally unwell. Quine, were told, specializes in gothic, surreal stories in an ornate and florid style; Bombyx Mori is described as a perverse Pilgrims Progress, set in a folkloric no-mans land and featuring a hermaphrodite hero, who has a series of strange encounters with predatory women and assorted monsters. The characters sport names like the Tick, Succuba and the Cutter, and there is lots of mumbo-jumbo about a bloody sack and a dwarfish female creature.
Answer The Silkworm, by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)
16. Collar, choker, princess, matinee, opera, rope and lariat. These are the seven major classifications by length. Of what?
17. This Indian was the one who advised John D.Rockefeller to spend his wealth on philanthropy. He was the one who inspired Nikola Tesla to think about the cosmic forces of the Universe and work on the Unified Force theory. He was the one who inspired Jamshedji Tata to start the Indian Institute of Science (IISc). Which Indian am I talking about?
18. Which popular game was invented by the former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain while he was serving in the army in India?
Snooker. Chamberlain was playing Billiards at the Club House in Ooty, when he came up with a new variant of that game and named it Snooker.
19. What term is associated with the phenomenon where a product sells more because the price of it has been increased ?
20. What famous phrase did the person in the picture coin, which also became his epitaph?
Thats All Folks!! The person in the picture is Chuck Jones, the creator of Looney Toons.