Text of Tang Wu Ho Preparing Chinese Language Teachers
1. International Dialogue: Prepar ing Chinese Language T eachers Frank Lixing Tang , New York University Yongyi Wu, East China Normal University Yong Ho, The Greater New York Association of Chinese Language Teachers
2. NYU-ECNU Collaboration
NYU established its first NYU in China Center at ECNU in Fall 2006
One of the best universities in China
Location, location, location: Shanghai
Most sincere and collaborative in the initial negotiation
Provides NYU with space and all the necessary support
Win-win for both institutions
6. NYU-ECNU Chinese Language Teacher Preparation Project
Communication started with Hanban and ECNU in early 2006
Proposal submitted in fall 2006
Agreement signed in Spring 2007 and supported by Hanban
The first cohort of ECNU students arrived at NYU in Fall 2007
8. Hanban NYU ECNU Freeman Foundation
9. Implementation Field Experience Student Teaching PD, training for job interviews Job placement Follow-up professional development Curriculum Recruitment
10. The curriculum
Academic requirements (35 credits):
Foundation in education
Field experience (school visit and class observation)
Student teaching (one full term)
11. The first cohort (2007-2008)
Fourteen students applied.
Seven were accepted.
Only four came to NYU.
12. After one year of hard work
13. Where are they now?
Three are teaching in NYC public
One returned to China and is currently
teaching Chinese in an international school in
Two are successful and two are
14. The second cohort (2008-09)
15. How are they doing?
Fall 2008: 13 credits of course work and 100 hours of class observation
Spring 2009: Three courses and student teaching in NYC schools
Summer 2009: Two to three more courses and graduation project
Fall 2009: Enter the job market with an MA from NYU and NYS Chinese language teacher certification
16. The third cohort: 2009-2010
Nine students have been accepted.
They are currently in the senior years of study or graduate program at ECNU.
17. Whats next?
Several research studies are being conducted to investigate the experience gained and lessons learned.
Talks have begun to extend and expand the program.