- 1. TEACHING OFSHAPE & SPACE
2. YEAR 4
- Curriculum Specifications:
- 9.1Two dimensional shapes
- 9.1.1 Understand the perimeter of a two-dimensional
- shape. (square, rectangle and triangle)
- 9.1.2 Understand the areas of a two-dimensional shape
- 9.1.3 Find the area and perimeter.
- 9.2Three-dimensional shapes
- 9.2.1 Understand the volume for cubes and cuboids.
- 9.2.2 Find the volume for cubes and cuboids.
3. Two- dimensional geometric forms rectangle square rhombus triangle hexagon circle Examples: 4. Two- dimensional geometric forms
- These geometric figures have only two dimensionalplane surfaces
length breadth 5. Three- dimensional geometric forms Examples: cylinder cubes cuboids pyramid prism 6. Three- dimensional geometric forms
- These geometric figures aresolid formswhich have three dimensions
length breadth height 7. Perimeter
- Perimeter is measurement of length of aboundary
- which encompassesa closed plane surface . It isthe
- distance around the outside edgeof a figure.
- In Mathematics, perimeter is thetotal length of the
- sides enclosinga certain geometrical shape.
10cm 10cm 4cm 4cm Perimeter = 10cm + 4cm + 10cm + 4cm = 28cm ORPerimeter = 10cm 2 +4cm 2 = 20cm + 8cm = 28cm 8. Try out the questions below. Important steps should be shown in your task sheet given. 1) 75cm 182cm 163 cm What is the perimeter of the triangle above? 9. 2) 68cm 154cm What is the perimeter of the rectangle above? 3) What is the perimeter of the equilateral triangle above?57cm 10. 4)The perimeter of the square above is 148cm.What is the length of its side? 5) 195cm The perimeter of the rectangle above is 534cm.What is the length of BC? B C A D 11. Area
- Area is the amount ofspace or surface which occupies
- a two-dimensional closed plane figure.
A = length breadth rectangle A = length length square Area Formulae Two-dimensional geometric figures Names 12. simple concept about area C B A D The rectangular board is divided with squares of unit size each. We can find the area of any part by counting the number of squares as its unit measure. Thus, Area of A = 2 square units or 2 unit Area of B = 3 square units or 3 unit Area of C = 4 square units or 4 unit Area of D = 5 square units or 5 unit 13. Try out the questions below. Important steps should be shown in the task sheet given. 1)
- What is the length of the square above?_____cm
- b) What is the perimeter of the square above?_____ cm
- c) What is the area of the square above?______ cm
2cm 2cm 14. 2) 3cm 3cm a) What is the length of the rectangular above?_____cmb) What is the perimeter of the rectangular above?_____cm c) What is the area of the rectangular above?_____cm 15. 3)The area of a rectangle is 120cm.If the breadth is 5cm, what is the length? 4) The length of a carpet is 12m.Its breadth is less than the length by 4m.What is the area of the carpet? 5) The area of Ahmads school field is 6000m.If the length is 100m, what is the breadth of the field? 16. Volume
- The real world is actually a three-dimensional
- space. All things in this world, whether solid, liquid
- or gaseous, exist in three dimensions. As such, the
- amount of three-dimensional space which an object
- occupies is called its volume.
- To calculate the volume of an object or solid, we
- have to use a specific unit of measure.
- The most suitable shape for the unit of volume is a
- unit cube with dimensions 1cm 1cm 1cm.
17. A unit cube is a cube whose edges are of unit length.The volume of a unit cube with edges 1cm each is1cm 1cm 1cm = 1cm This unit cube is the unit of measure usually used for measuring volume of a solid. 1cm 1cm 1cm Example: If = 1cm, find the volume of the solid below. Solution: Volume = 1cm 4 = 4cm 18. Volume of cube = length 3 =l Volume of cuboid = length breadth height OR Volume of cuboid = Area of base height l l l l b h 19. Try out these questions. Important steps should be shown in the task sheet given.
- Siti has a shoe box. Find the volume of the shoe box if its length is 40cm, its breadth is 20cm and its height is 10cm.
2) The volume of a cuboid is 1120cm . Its breadth is8cm. Its height is 7cm. What is its length? 20. 3) The milk container is a cube. What is the length of its side? Milk 1000cm 4) The volume of the pencil case is 720cm . What is its length?Pencil case 5cm 8cm 21. 5) The length of the cube is 4cm.The area of the cuboid is 27cm What is the total volume of the cube and cuboid? 5cm 22. What did we learnt here? 2D Shapes 3D Shapes PerimeterArea Volume 23. THE END