Powerpoint for the Pre-Program of the AUSL 2011. (2011/6/12)
Text of Pre-Program Orientation
1. Pre-Program Orientation Asia-U.S. Service-Learning Program 2011 Pre-Program Session 1
2. Why do we have the pre-program?
3. Overall Goal
In the end of the pre-program, you will have clear response to following questions as individual and topic group.
What do you want to acquire from the program?
What will you do to acquire them?
What kind of person do you want to become after the program?
4. Specific Goals
To achieve the goal, we will provide you opportunity
to deepen our understandings about service .
to get used to communicating in English.
active listening & persuasive presentation
to gain the sense of the field and get used to translating them into language through reflection.
5. Outline (Details are on Handout)
Orientation & Session on Service
Communication Workshop & Organization Visit Planning
Organization Visit & Service Activity
Topic Group Presentation
Reflection & Goal Setting Session
6. Topic Group Presentation
Your final output before flying to U.S.
20 min presentation based on your topic group which includes
Community Need Identification
Brief Ideas of Addressing the Community Need
Your preparation for the presentation helps you to work on the final project in U.S.
7. Organization Visit & Service Activity
Visiting organizations or joining service activities to see whats happening in the field
Researching organizations or activities, making appointment & joining activity
Reflection with coordinator or reporting to coordinator after each activities
8. Timeline and Assignments June 12 June 12-19 June 19 June 19-July 10 July 10 July 17 PP1: Orientation & Session on Service Assignment1: Personal Research PP2&3: Communication Workshop & Organization Visit Planning Assignment2: Group Work PP4: Topic Group Presentation PP5: Reflection & Goal Setting
9. Other Items: Twitter, Facebook, You Tube and Mailing List
Twitter List for AUSL 2011
Follow @ausl_2011 and @Kazuharu_0328 . Kazuharu add you the list of participants @ausl_2011/participants so that you can easily communicate with each other and see what s happening.
You are welcome to tweet something or post a photo related with the program in Japan and U.S. with hush tag #ausl11 .
10. Other Items: Twitter, Facebook, You Tube and Mailing List
Facebook Group for AUSL 2011
Send a friend request to Kazuharu Omata . Kazuharu add you the Facebook Group for AUSL 2011 voluntary started by participants from Hong Kong.
You can see how participants from Hong Kong and Taiwan are excited about the program. You are welcome to introduce yourself to them.
11. Other Items: Twitter, Facebook, You Tube and Mailing List
You Tube Channel for AUSL 2011
Check out the You Tube Channel for AUSL 2011 . Self introduction clips from Stanford Coordinators and Asia Coordinators will be uploaded soon.
We will take and upload video clips from U.S. to show how the program goes.
13. Other Items: Twitter, Facebook, You Tube and Mailing List
Mailing List for AUSL 2011
Send an e-mail to Kazuharu. Kazuharu invite you to the mailing list for Japanese participants.
15. What you acquire from the program depends on what you prepare for it Lets do our best to prepare for the life-changing experience in U.S.!