Presentation given at Iowa Association of Alternative Education's Risky Business conference - 9/28/09
Text of Online Learning for Iowa's Learners At-Risk
1. Online Education for Students At-Risk
2. My Hopes Introduce myself Spark discussion Provide information Share a vision
4. Hello My Name Is: Schwinkie! One Students Story
5. What if we did it ourselves? with our colleagues?
6. If I could offer my students the option of online learning, I know I could really make a difference. And trust me, Id go to the end of the earth to make a difference for them . - Geoff Peak, New Horizons
7. What is Online Learning?
13. Class with a cohort of students & a local coach Independent study Replacement unit modules Repository to accompany the classroom
14. How does online learning support schools?
15. Flexible programming Rigorous content Rewards effort Option for students with IEPs, behavioral plans Could transfer from school to school Credit recovery, drop-out recovery
16. What can online learning offer struggling students?
17. Any time, place, or pace Engages with technology Connects with a larger world Allows anonymity in the classroom Gives students a level playing field
Nationwide = Completion rate jumps 26%
Florida = Completion rate jumps 35%
Annapolis, MD CSD = After instituting training/mentoring for online learning classroom facilitators, completion rate jumped to 96% for at-risk students.
23. You are the key!
25. How do you make the leap?
26. Become an Advocate!
27. Get Connected! Susan Walkup - DE [email_address] Doug Harrold - IAAE [email_address] Arlan Thorson - ILO [email_address] Evan Abbey - AEA 11 [email_address]
28. Get trained AEA Online Classes & Moodle Users Group
29. Get informed: iNACOL http://www.inacol.org/ Illinois online research http://www.ion.illinois.edu/resources/ Evans research http://delicious.com/eabbey/e-learning Evans blog http://eabbey.blogspot.com