To help teachers preparing Kids for the KET for schools oral exam. A breakdown of the questions asked. Links to videos and useful websites.
Text of Ket oral exam
1. By J. Wilson Madrid Spain 2014
2. To go through the different parts of the exam. KET for schools. To share ideas on how to prepare the KET oral exam. To look at useful resources and methodolgy to prepare the test. To have a hundred (100%) pass rate in your class and be admired by all around you!!!
3. The KET oral exam is given in pairs it lasts 8-10 minutes Its a basic test to show you can understand and answer simple questions and interact in English. You do not need to speak perfect English
4. Structure Part 1 General Questions short answers. Whats your name? How do you spell your surname? Longer questions? Tell me about your town? Tell me about your best friend? Part 2 Information gap activity
5. WHAT HAPPENS FIRST? The examiner will ask for the mark sheet and say: My name is Jennifer this is Maureen . She will just listen. There are two examiners in the room. One talks the other writes down comments and the marks.
6. Whats the marking criteria? Vocabulary and Grammar Discourse management Pronunciation Interactive Communication Global achievement
7. Information about where you come from. Where do you come from? Where do you live? What subjects do you study? What subject do you like best? Whats the most difficult subject for you?
8. General Information What did you do yesterday? What time did you go to bed? When do you watchT:V? Whats your favourite programme? How often do you go shopping? What do you usually buy? Do you often use a computer? Whats your favourite season? Why?
9. More general information Do you like pop music? Whos your favourite singer ? What do you usually do at the weekends? What sports do you play? What do you do in your free time?
10. Longer Answers Tell me about your house. Tell me about your daily routine. Tell me about your town. Tell me about your favourite food. Tell me about the weather in Spain. Tell me about your best friend or your best teacher.
11. Part 2 In this part students talk to each other Students are given prompt cards to stimulate conversation The examiner reads the instructions and gives a question card to one candidate and the answers to the other. After the candidates have asked and answered the questions they change roles.
12. Questions in the KET Open/afternoon Is it open in the afternoon? Student ticket? $? How much does a student ticket cost? Car park? Is there a car park? Buy/guidebook? Where can I buy a guidebook?
13. More Questions Telephone number? What is the telephone number? Name/teacher? What is the teacher's name? What/teach? What does he teach? Where/teacher from? Where is the teacher from?
14. When/start? When does the teacher start? Play sport? Does he play sports? Price/CDs? $? What is the price of CDs? Address? What is the address? Open/evenings? Is it open in the evenings?
15. Pop music? Can I learn to play pop music? Children's lessons? Can children learn to play guitar? Where? Where is it? Saturday afternoon? Can I take lessons on Saturday afternoon?
16. Students need to talk a lot Encourage student to answer questions using a wide range of structures and vocabulary. Tell them to use Id prefer or I would like, at least once. Build up a nice vocabulary for the different topics. Tell kids to be a bit theatrical.
17. Begin part 2 with: Can you tell me about.? Of course what do you want to know?
18. Good websites for KET practise http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org /en/ http://englishaula.com/en/ket-exam- Ego4u:com http://www.examenglish.com/KET/KET_ vocab.htm http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/ http://www.quia.com/pages/petvoc abulary.html http://www.englishpage.com
19. How to prepare our students. Lots of practise Circle loop games with questions and answers. See my blog for details Jenny-learningshould befun.blogspot.com Think of .....in 60 seconds Work through the topics, building up on vocabulary.
20. Videos on Youtube Show your students these videos so they know what is expected. http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=ycc2G4Ryn3Y http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=BpCqNuIOeZw&list=PLDBCAB39E95 03FFE0 http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=eQJYbRZUrVs
21. Voice recordings Prepare voice recording of questions and answers for kids whose parents dont speak English so they can listen and answer the questions at home: See Nickys blog http://nicky- iloveenglish.blogspot.com.es/
22. Hope its been useful!! Remember: Performance related pay is only around the corner..