- 1.Highly Effective Habits of Successful Lifelong Learners Developed by Julia Osteen Adapted fromLori Reedhttp://www.plcmc.org/public/learning/player.html and Shelley Paulhttp://voicethread.com/#q.b44099with contributions fromNadine Norris
2. What is Lifelong Learning?
- Wikipedia defineslifelong learningthis way:
- Lifelong learningis the concept that "It's never too soon or too late for learning
- The World Bank Groupstates that . . .
- A lifelong learning framework encompasses learning throughout the life cycle, from birth to grave and in different learning environments, formal, non-formal and informal.
3. The remainder of this slideshow will list someHighly Effective Habits of Successful Lifelong Learners . 4. Lifelong Learning is Essential
- People who are successful lifelong learners start with a belief that their participation in lifelong learning is an essential ingredient to living a fulfilled life.
Photo credit:mimax 5. Begin with the End in Mind
- Successful lifelong learners know where they are going. They have a goal and plan steps for how to achieve the goal.
Photo byGareand Kitty 6. Accept Responsibility for Learning
- Successful lifelong learners accept that they are responsible for their own learning. They do not expect or wait for others to provide learning experiences.They seek out learning.
Photo bychrisrunoff 7. View Problems as Challenges
- Successful lifelong learners expect that there will be hurdles and problems to face. They see these problems as challenges and opportunities for growth.
8. Confidence in Oneself as a Learner
- Successful lifelong learners know that they can learn and be effective, competent learners. The realization that the key to learning comes from within themselves fosters this confidence.
Photo bykool_skatkat 9. Create a Learning Toolbox
- Successful lifelong learners know that they will need many tools to help them with their learning. These learners organize and categorize tools for easy retrieval when needed.
Photo byAustin ampersandZak 10. Keep a Sense of Humor
- Laughter enables us to reframe our worries and it has great capacity to help us reestablish a positive and healthy perspective. Successful lifelong learners know how to laugh at themselves.
Photo by imranchaudhry Source: Dr. Barry Bittman,http:// www.healthy.net/scr/column.asp?Id =42 11. Accept Failure As A Way To Learn
- Successful lifelong learners are not afraid to fail. They realize that failures role is to teach us. We learn more from our failures than we do our successes.
Photo byMoon Rhythm 12. Use Technology to an Advantage
- Successful lifelong learners realize they canleveragetechnology tools to help them stay in touch with apersonal learning networkthat will help them grow by bothgivingandreceivinginformation and ideas.
Image byCourosa 13. Teach/Mentor Others
- Some common education statistics discuss the fact that we retain 90% of what we teach to others. Successful lifelong learners mentor/teach others and, in turn, learn more deeply the concepts taught.
Image bydkuroptawa 14. Play
- Successful lifelong learners are not afraid to take risks and revel in the opportunity to play with a new concept or tool.